Towing a trailer that weighs 10,000lbs or more

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I may have posted this link earlier in this thread, but since the discussion still seems to be wandering, here it is again... it gives the requirements for drivers' licences for RVs by state:

RV Driver's License Requirements

Rob

Old 12-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by JJTX
As far as the registration goes. If you intentionally register your vehicle for a lower class that it is in fact, you are committing a crime. In some places it is a felony to misrepresent vehicle registration and title documents.

DONT DO IT.

When you register a vehicle, the state USUALLY will not use what YOU estimate the gross vehicle weight rating is. They will use the VIN and title and use that instead.
For what its worth nobody was talking about de-rating a truck or trailer, DOT knows that game and will get you every time. Both my truck and trailer are registered ay thier GVWR's, 14k and 13,465 respectively. Somewhere there is a break point as to putting a "combination" registration on the truck. Ill be damned if i can find it clearly printed in any PA document as to where and when it is needed. I can say I'm not paying $200 a year more to register the truck at 28k for a trailer I tow 3k a year when I can't find in black and white i that need to.

And yes, I got my class A learners permit today. Jim, Dublin was able to do the permit with only minor confusion. I was only at the desk about 5 minutes. Did not ask if they will administer the test there, but no way I'd want to be in that lot with a 40' trailer. Definitely go to Allentown for that.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JJTX
As long as you dont leave NJ, you are golden! There may be some sort of exemption for out-of-state residents regarding large non commercial vehicles on the books but thats something you better research before you travel outside of NJ and come to places like, TX or CA.
Time to stop "thinking" and start researching. You only need to be legal in the state you are registered in. Then you are good in the rest. Thats how it works.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
For what its worth nobody was talking about de-rating a truck or trailer, DOT knows that game and will get you every time. Both my truck and trailer are registered ay thier GVWR's, 14k and 13,465 respectively. Somewhere there is a break point as to putting a "combination" registration on the truck. Ill be damned if i can find it clearly printed in any PA document as to where and when it is needed. I can say I'm not paying $200 a year more to register the truck at 28k for a trailer I tow 3k a year when I can't find in black and white i that need to.

And yes, I got my class A learners permit today. Jim, Dublin was able to do the permit with only minor confusion. I was only at the desk about 5 minutes. Did not ask if they will administer the test there, but no way I'd want to be in that lot with a 40' trailer. Definitely go to Allentown for that.
Good deal Scott, I plan to run over there tomorrow on my lunch hour. Hopefully they wont forget by then... I should have gone over today and went behind you and told them "me too.."
I agree... for that "combination" BS, they get enough extra taxes out of us with the diesel fuel... pure BS that diesel is 60 cents more than regular!!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
I do believe you can register your truck less than the factory GVWR, but that also means that is what your legal limit is now. My buddies have there's listed as class 3's, but only tow small travel trailers. I told them, I really cant do that pulling the 5er...I'd get pinched for sure.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
Time to stop "thinking" and start researching. You only need to be legal in the state you are registered in. Then you are good in the rest. Thats how it works.
Exactly... RECIPROCITY! as long as you are legal in your home state, you are good.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:47 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HDBiker67
Exactly... RECIPROCITY! as long as you are legal in your home state, you are good.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Good deal Scott, I plan to run over there tomorrow on my lunch hour. Hopefully they wont forget by then... I should have gone over today and went behind you and told them "me too.."
2 things of note. The greeter at the number machine will have no idea what youre talking about. Second, be sure you have as much of that lunch hour available as possible! I walked in at 2:05 and didn't get called to the counter until 2:40. Cake once you're there though. Place was mobbed today.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 AM
DuallyMike
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Ferguson65

And yes, I got my class A learners permit today. Jim, Dublin was able to do the permit with only minor confusion. I was only at the desk about 5 minutes. Did not ask if they will administer the test there, but no way I'd want to be in that lot with a 40' trailer. Definitely go to Allentown for that.[/QUOTE]

Hey Scott, did you call Allentown? I think they may only have 1 or 2 people that administer the test. When I went the guy told me to come in and ask for him specifically. Might be something you want to try and schedule instead of waiting in line. It's real busy there in the morning, I know that.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
I don't think they will do any road tests without an appointment Mike. I will definately make one before I go, but it will be a little while until I have the chance. Dragging the camper to Tom Schaeffers today for inspection and a few other things. No rush to get it back and they don't move that fast anyway.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SecondChance
I may have posted this link earlier in this thread, but since the discussion still seems to be wandering, here it is again... it gives the requirements for drivers' licences for RVs by state:

RV Driver's License Requirements

Rob
A few more things in Wyoming...Yes I can drive up to 26,000 with a regular license, then up to 39,000 because I live on a ranch, then up to whatever if someone will vouch for me...great state to live in.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
I don't think they will do any road tests without an appointment Mike. I will definately make one before I go, but it will be a little while until I have the chance. Dragging the camper to Tom Schaeffers today for inspection and a few other things. No rush to get it back and they don't move that fast anyway.
Scott,
Did you schedule your road test yet? I finally got my permit today up in Bethlehem and they said they dont do the Class A test anymore because they dont have room for back up maneuvers. They said they only do Class B now. I asked since when, and she said a couple years. I thought Duallymike said he took his test there recently. They told me I had to go up to Schuylkill Haven or Dublin.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
I have not Jim. I was going to ride it out until the weather got better. I would try calling in a week or two. You never know. If there's no room in Allentown, they certainly won't do it in Dublin. That lot is tight, tight, tight. Schuylkill Haven is probably better than trying to do it in Norristown though. It's just not really around the corner either.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM
HDBiker67
Senior User
1 hour to Schuylkill Haven > 30-45 minutes to Norristown, plus city streets
Yeah, waiting for better weather is definitely a good idea. Our rig is still at the dealer anyway.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
1 hour to Schuylkill Haven > 30-45 minutes to Norristown, plus city streets
Yeah, waiting for better weather is definitely a good idea. Our rig is still at the dealer anyway.
What dealer did you buy from? Saw Schaeffers had an authorized Spartan service center decal on the window. We've been happy with them so far, he'l this year they turned it around in a week. That's crazy fast even for them.

Quick Reply: Towing a trailer that weighs 10,000lbs or more