General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

non political thoughts on the 'protests'

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
non political thoughts on the 'protests'

Hi,

It just occurred to me that the protests at the football games are a little wrong for all concerned. These are general thoughts that do not reflect on the protessts themselves.

Players at these games are at work. They are getting paid (quite a bit) to be there and do whatever they're suposed to do. Yes, they're entitled to their opinions, but they are in fact using the company facilities express them.

On the NFL side ( not that they seem to be fighting this), they are presenting the national anthem at a private event ( in that it costs $$ to view). I know that most if not all pro sports do that, but it's a little odd if you think about it. The players are not necessarily citizens, and the event has no ties to the government --they either own or lease the stadiums.

Just my .02

hj

Old 09-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wait and see game on attendance, when the revenues drop, owners will take notice. How is it going for Kaepernick?

Old 09-28-2017, 06:00 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

IMO... ...and yes I should keep my mouth shut...

If a person decides not to show respect for the anthem and/or flag, it is their right. It is part of the freedoms we all enjoy.

It does show dis-respect to veterans and what has been sacrificed but IMO there has been no necessary war since WW II to preserve this country's freedom (other than the Cold War).

America is dying. Too many illegals and our so-called enemies are all ready here.

Why must Americans die in some shiat-hole in the Middle East? And then provide something as inept/corrupt as the VA when they come home?

GRUNTS DO IT IN THE MUD, THE BLOOD AND THE TEARS!

Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
time and place for everything. If we cannot render 2 minutes of respect, regardless of circumstances,,,what is next? laughing loudly about conquests at a childs funeral?

many of you goto the carlisle truck show each year and at 9am each day they stop activity for the anthem. to my knowledge, no one took a knee or linked arms. why? cuz there were no cameras.

Look at meeeeeeeeeee! syndrome.

and what is it with our tendency to worship celebrities? the more screaming teens a person garners, the more the media wants to ask THEM what they think about <insert political cause here>

why? why must we elevate the most uninformed to a position of SME (subject matter expert) does anyone *really* think that any sports player, pop star or reality TV actor has any handle on learned insight?

for example, robert deniro - love every movie he ever did, even the sucky ones. but when he is not going thru a script, he needs 2-3 rolls of gorilla duct tape over his pie hole.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
What's more disrespectful? Kneeling during the anthem or not standing up for the constitution which demands all are to be created equal?

Police brutality in the United States

Stand up,shut your mouth and place your hand over your heart.Honor America whether you like what you see or not.Sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me guys.I'm glad I don't live where some of you think you want to live.Be very careful what you ask for.Our honorable veterans fight for our freedom (this means for you to be right or wrong). Not dictator rule.You say it's a slap in the face to a vet,not to raise,I say the same.
Perhaps taking a knee is more of a brave and honorable stand,than simply physically standing up?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
What's more disrespectful? Kneeling during the anthem or not standing up for the constitution which demands all are to be created equal?

Police brutality in the United States

Stand up,shut your mouth and place your hand over your heart.Honor America whether you like what you see or not.Sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me guys.I'm glad I don't live where some of you think you want to live.Be very careful what you ask for.Our honorable veterans fight for our freedom (this means for you to be right or wrong). Not dictator rule.You say it's a slap in the face to a vet,not to raise,I say the same.
Perhaps taking a knee is more of a brave and honorable stand,than simply physically standing up?
Isnt that a little wee bit of an exaggeration? 2 minutes. once a week.

IS that too much to ask? the other 6 days 23 hours 58 minutes, you can protest, burn the flag and kermit the frog in effigy, write pithy facebook posts, whatever.

if the 2 minutes to honor what is GOOD is too much then I guess the whole 90 minute church thingy is out of the question as well? after all, who can honor a g*d who lets babies die and said dictators get automatic weapons.

the fact that you can even have this conversation, publicly requires some deference no?

sure, there are some cases of police brutality. there are also cases of corporate america shipping livelihoods overseas, dumping poison in the water with full approval, take a knee for that? and as for this police brutality, how about police good? my lil bro has been on the job in cali for over 16 years now.

number of times his service weapon fired on the job: 0
number of times himself shot at: over 50
conviction rate: 100%
number of complaints: 0

Single issue myopic behaviour aint gonna help nobody, especially if not rooted in reality.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I must be old fashioned. Every sporting or racing event I have been to, Please rise for the singing of the National Anthem. If you are in the pits at a race and cannot see the flag, face where the music is coming from. Never saw one person in my entire life ignore that request, even men remove their hats.

New day, new age. I even remember when businesses were closed on Sunday.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
I don't have a strong opinion on this either way.I understand and see both sides of the coin equally.

I think something you need to consider is,protest doesn't do any good when no ones looking.Protests will always and only be effective when they somehow disrupt our daily lives.If no ones looking,what good could they do? How could they lead to change and inspire us to do better?

Just because your experiences don't equal the reality of others,doesn't mean they share your reality either.The statistics are very clear about this issue.It's not something made up.I wish it were.I think we all do.For many,it's too difficult to see,so we only see what's on the surface instead,that's someone "disrespecting America" and because that's easier to deal with,we close the door right there.To look deeper means looking and seeing and then believing and this hurts.As it should for anyone with a conscience.
Your little brother is no doubt a very honorable policeman,as is the case with the vast majority.This doesn't somehow negate the biases some of them have.No ones perfect.If some of them didn't,then we wouldn't have the proven statistics that prove otherwise.

I guess my point is,if you only see someone disrespecting the national anthem and flag,then your not looking close enough.This is my only point.I won't try and argue that it may not be the best method of protesting but if we can look at things in balance and try to understand where someone else is coming from,it may not anger you so much.Rather than a strong leader to pose things like this,we have a weak leader who's intentions are to intentionally anger you.Don't give him this power over you.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:14 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
If you can remember when Kaperdink very first sitting, he was sitting his lazybutt on bench (not kneeling) and after the game a reporter asked why he was sitting and he was silent,, like he had no idea, then was asked if was protesting something then after a pause he said yeah. It was like the reporter just gave him an answer. This was back when Tavon Austin was in the news. Bottom line I dont believe the very first protest was nothing more than Kaperdink wanting a me me moment

Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F'ing media...sensationalism and stirring the pot...why I don't watch the mainstream news anymore. NPR on the other hand...

Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
"The statistics are very clear about this issue"

Indeed they are, that's why the whole "**** da Po-Lice" take a knee thing is based on a lie - a faulty premise. I'm no bootlicker either. The whole thing is nonsense. Why don't they protest the hundreds of people shot and killed every year in Chicago alone? The cops aren't doing that. As long as you brought it up - black males 18 to 34 make up maybe 2% of the population yet are responsible for over 50% of murders? The whole thing is complete BS.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
You don't want truth.....

Old 09-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't follow football at all, but I know about the protests. The phrase "There's no such thing as bad publicity" definitely applies, at least in their heads. To them, the Anthem is just a formality, and they know that going against it means getting attention. Getting attention feeds their egos, and so on.

In reality, they're probably being hurt with TV commercial appearance cancellations, at least the more famous players. The lazy players that only devote energy to working out and playing and not devotion to respect like Kapernaek are simply getting more media attention. They aren't helping their careers or reputations, just getting the attention they crave, without doing a thing. Literally.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Christian's1988Ford
To them, the Anthem is just a formality, and they know that going against it means getting attention. Getting attention feeds their egos, and so on.
What an ability you possess.To know what's in a mans heart without even knowing him.That must really be a huge burden.I sure don't envy that ability.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:22 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Police brutality happens to people of all races. Blaming it on racism is misleading and counterproductive.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
That's not what it says. The constitution does not demand that people "are to be created equal". The Creator has already done that. You were born with the same rights as everybody else. You want to spend all your time complaining about things that happened hundreds of years ago that's your right. But no one is obligated to feel sorry for you.

Quick Reply: non political thoughts on the 'protests'