Joined the Andersen Ultimate club

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 AM
yelwinger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a 2017 F-250 on order, was wondering if I should use a mat also. My 15 I have not used one both have factory spray bed liner but with the aluminum bed I don't want add stress to it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 AM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for all of the information in this thread! I've been all over the web trying to decide on my hitch. I had narrowed it down to the B&W turnover gooseneck and the AUH. The tip on putting a rubber mat underneath the AUH is a good one, especially with an aluminum bed. For those of you with this set up and a short bed, do you need any offset ball to move the hitch back away from the cab? That is my last unknown. We're looking at new 5er toy haulers, the Momentum 350M/351M is top of the list so far. I just got a '17 F-350 Lariat CCSB PS last weekend. I upgraded from the same thing in a 250 for the extra cargo capacity (2204 vs 3477).

Old 10-07-2017, 10:09 AM
volwing1
Freshman User
Sounds like Andersen is gaining a new customer. I considered that brand after meeting two owners. Also found that some misgivings were well founded. The stringent SAE test SAEJ2638 was passed by the Pullrite version. I could not find the Andersen passed the test. I did find the aliminum ball has failed as has the red bowl in actual use. The sight of the cracked ball with chunks missing is troublesome.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 982 Posts
I have an early version w/o the V cover and never found the need for it.... even my 78 year old eyes can back under and hit the sweet spot without it! Glad now I didn't order the retrofit kit.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM
GT350Mike
Senior User
After spending too much time mulling over what to buy, I decided to take the plunge last week and bought an Andersen hitch. The two main reasons I went with the AUH was because of the offset (I have a 6'9" bed) but more importantly, it's lightweight. The idea of installing/removing the old school 5th wheel hitch didn't look very appealing to me nor did the idea of storing it in my garage (I already have too many big, bulky things in there). When we’re not camping, I’ll be able to keep the hitch in one of the storage compartments on the camper.

I installed the B&M gooseneck this weekend and based on my experience, I recommend watching E-trailer’s installation video instead of using B&M’s instructions. Seems like we’re be ready to take our camper out for a short trip this weekend so I'll let y'all know about how everything worked out next week.

I do have one question.....I have a rubber mat that's used under exercise equipment but it's only about 1/8" thick. I thought it would be good to use a mat to keep from scratching up the truckbed but after reading the comments about rubber mats, I'm wondering if 1/8" is that enough or should I go with a thicker mat?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Just so people who do not have the B&W Companion, know, it is also adjustable forward and back as well as height. The Companion also seperates to ease with removal, however the base is cumbersome. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an engine hoist on sale for $169 and I just put it all in at one time. Easy as pie. I am not a spokesman for B&W, just wanting people to be aware it is very adjustable. I have nothing against the Andersen. For my knowledge, is the Andersen adjustable? Just curious.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon606
Just so people who do not have the B&W Companion, know, it is also adjustable forward and back as well as height. The Companion also seperates to ease with removal, however the base is cumbersome. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an engine hoist on sale for $169 and I just put it all in at one time. Easy as pie. I am not a spokesman for B&W, just wanting people to be aware it is very adjustable. I have nothing against the Andersen. For my knowledge, is the Andersen adjustable? Just curious.
If you need to remove the B&W while you are out and about, do you break it down and muscle it out of the bed?

The Anderson is adjustable, to a point. It has 3 pin positions on the ball for height and then you can run the offset triangle in the forward (usually for long bed) or rear (usually for short bed) position. On my 2000 short bed running the pin in the middle position I have 7" of clearance between the camper and bed. Having the offset triangle in the rear position allows me to get about 85* of turn based on my parking lot testing. When driving the trailer around, I don't turn that tight, but it was good to know the limits.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
If you need to remove the B&W while you are out and about, do you break it down and muscle it out of the bed?

Most places I go, I have no reason to remove it, however, I went to the Smokies last fall and I did remove it because I was afraid someone would steal it. It is not so much the base is heavy, it is just very akward. Nevertheless, I do not enjoy it. Even though the Companion has a lock bolt, it would not be impossible to remove, for that matter a lock and key would only slow someone down for a second or 2. Im considering a lockable bed cover so that I can just leave the hitch in it but that is the only time I ever even considered removing the hitch while I was on a camping trip.

Thanks for the info on the Andersen, I never really looked at them that close.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:54 PM
USSenator
Elder User
I went to Harbor Freight and bought an engine hoist on sale for $169 and I just put it all in at one time. Easy as pie.
Must be a different kind of pie in your area than mine. Anything involving an engine hoist doesn't seem easy. And add another $169 to the cost of the hitch.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The B&W comes apart in a few seconds with no tools, resulting in two 75# pieces. Very easy to install, remove, hitch, unhitch, needs no tools to install / remove when using the puck system, and needs no safety chains.

BTW, it's not very adjustable front/back. It has two choices, just like the AUH.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2009kr
The B&W comes apart in a few seconds with no tools, resulting in two 75# pieces. Very easy to install, remove, hitch, unhitch, needs no tools to install / remove when using the puck system, and needs no safety chains.

BTW, it's not very adjustable front/back. It has two choices, just like the AUH.
Mine has 6 different settings forward and back, thats pretty adjustable to me. 2 different positions on the kingpin with 3 different settings on the uprights on each. Also requires a 3/4” socket and torque wrench as well. Maybe we are speaking about different set ups, mine is the B&W gooseneck hitch with the Companion non slider.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by USSenator
Must be a different kind of pie in your area than mine. Anything involving an engine hoist doesn't seem easy. And add another $169 to the cost of the hitch.
To each his own, I can use the lift for 100 different things. I mostly eat humble pie with a side of crow. I installed it this evening and it took all of 5 minutes and I never broke a sweat or hurt my back, thats easy in my book. Like I said, im not a B&W rep here, just stating what I know. Just for my curiosity, has anybody asked the manufacturer of their RV if they will honor the frame warranty with the Andersen? With it being a non conventional set up ( not a true fifth wheel) would your warranty be void? I considered converting my GD 337 to gooseneck to make it simple,I called GD and they said if I did and had frame issues they would not cover it. Only one they approved was the Reese Goose Box which is $$$$.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
This discussion has turned into identifying the fact that we all have a choice to make based on our preference of the hitch. The auxiliary tools, equipment and effort required to install and remove the hitch is all relative to the user.

Brandon606 uses his engine lift for 100 different things. I don't have an engine lift, so I am missing out on 99 different things to use the lift for.

I tend to remove the AUH when camping in order to use the bed and store the hitch under the trailer. Brandon never really removes his hitch without the lift, so be it as this is how he prefers to use his truck and hitch.

Some people prefer to have a hitch that is 300 lbs, some a hitch that breaks down into two 75 lbs pieces, others prefer a hitch that is 50 lbs as a whole. Weight is a factor for some in regards to towing capacity and mobility when having to install or remove the hitch, for some they could not care less.

I am comfortable without using safety chains on the AUH, but others feel they are required. I don't have locking jaws on my AUH, I have the Earth and gravity to hold the trailer on the ball with a locking/sling pin, to each their own.

This is turning into a bit of a pissing match and validation on which product we have purchased. I made an informed decision and bought the AUH and will not ever buy another hitch. Others did the same and came out with a different hitch, I hope they like them and are not suffering with regret as I am not.

To each their own, enjoy camping!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
To each his own, I can use the lift for 100 different things. I mostly eat humble pie with a side of crow. I installed it this evening and it took all of 5 minutes and I never broke a sweat or hurt my back, thats easy in my book. Like I said, im not a B&W rep here, just stating what I know. Just for my curiosity, has anybody asked the manufacturer of their RV if they will honor the frame warranty with the Andersen? With it being a non conventional set up ( not a true fifth wheel) would your warranty be void? I considered converting my GD 337 to gooseneck to make it simple,I called GD and they said if I did and had frame issues they would not cover it. Only one they approved was the Reese Goose Box which is $$$$.
You will always get an answer on the conservative side for warranty questions. Again, use what you feel comfortable with and go camping!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
This discussion has turned into identifying the fact that we all have a choice to make based on our preference of the hitch. The auxiliary tools, equipment and effort required to install and remove the hitch is all relative to the user.

Brandon606 loves to use his engine lift for 100 different things. I don't have an engine lift, so I am missing out on 99 different things to use the lift for.

I tend to remove the AUH when camping in order to use the bed and store the hitch under the trailer. Brandon never really removes his hitch without the lift, so be it as this is how he prefers to use his truck and hitch.

Some people prefer to have a hitch that is 300 lbs, some a hitch that breaks down into two 75 lbs pieces, others prefer a hitch that is 50 lbs as a whole. Weight is a factor for some in regards to towing capacity and mobility when having to install or remove the hitch, for some they could not care less.

I am comfortable without using safety chains on the AUH, but others feel they are required. I don't have locking jaws on my AUH, I have the Earth and the gravity to hold the trailer on the ball, to each their own.

This is turning into a bit of a pissing match and validation on which product we have purchased. I made an informed decision and bought the AUH and will not ever buy another hitch. Others did the same and came out with a different hitch, I hope they like them and are not suffering with regret as I am not.

To each their own, enjoy camping!

Very well said Sous, couldn't agree more myself. My intention was not to derail this thread, just to provide some info that was brought up as the thread progressed as to some questions others had. However when someone posts things that are not true or shall we say, yes it works but may have consequences down the road, I just feel all the info needs disclosed. I have no issues with an Andersen hitch if that is what you want to use nor do I beleive the B&W is the ultimate hitch to end all hitches. If I offended someone or the OP feels I got this thread off track, my apologies. This will be my farewell post in this thread.

As to camping, I will be pulling out this evening for the Halloween weekend at Breaks Interstate Park in VA, so happy camping it is.

Quick Reply: Joined the Andersen Ultimate club