Forced induction on a 04-08 5.4 4WD SCrew? Thoughts?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My supercharger has an Internal bybass valve that virtually eliminates parasitic loss...and delivers a proven 30 to 66% increase in real world "under the curve" power. Best of all, it costs less than 1/3 of a horse at 60 mph. Now that's real efficiency.
Sorry if my comment upset you.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope.

Intergrated bypass valve.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
I had the first polished Magnacharger and it was sponsored by Powerworks. My cost..........FREE

CARB E.O. # D-488-11 for 2004-06 models only

• 100% complete bolt-on system

• Front inlet 5th Gen supercharger with integral bypass valve.

• Patented cast aluminum manifold replaces factory composite unit and features equal-length intake runners that produce high torque and improved isolation from radiant heat. The best feature of all is the latest in proprietary intercooler airflow technology (patent pending).

• "Internal bypass valve" virtually eliminates parasitic loss...and delivers a proven 30 to 66% increase in real world "under the curve" power. Best of all, it costs less than 1/3 of a horse at 60 mph. Now that's real efficiency.

• Fuel system includes new injectors, extruded aluminum fuel rails, factory "push-lock" connectors and fuel regulator adaptor

• Computer programmer re-flashes factory ECU, spark and fuel calibration, transmission shift points, line pressure and torque converter strategies are optimized to manage increased torque, horsepower and mileage.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...pecial-369169/

Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by rock2610d
Nope.

Intergrated bypass valve.
Wrong again
I now understand why nobody would help you at Kenne Bell.

Air Induction Magnuson Superchargers 1st, 4th & 5th Generation

Air to water intercooled supercharger system includes the intake manifold intercooler core, secondary radiator, coolant reservoir, coolant circulation pump and all necessary wiring harnesses, hoses and clamps.

• Cast aluminum manifold replaces factory nylon intake.

• Magna Charger 5th Generation MP112 supercharger with integral bypass valve. Same internal rotating assembly as, Jaguar, Ford Cobra, Lightning and Harley Davidson Truck for extended service life and quiet operation.

• Internal bypass valve reduces parasitic losses while cruising for increased efficiency and economy.

• CARB EO# 488-11 has been granted from the California Air Resources board, making this an emissions compliant supercharger system.

• Fuel system includes new fuel injectors, factory “push lock connectors” and computer re-programming for optimized drivability, and fuel mileage.

• System comes complete with all necessary brackets, connectors, hardware and fuel system components including fuel line disconnect tools.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:08 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
The OP asked about the Eforce and below is from Edelbrocks website. This where they discuss an intergrated bypass valve.

"Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger systems deliver excellent horsepower and torque in a complete kit. Featuring a unique design with minimal components. It makes it possible to fit an E-Force Supercharger under the stock hood. The core of each system is the Eaton Gen VI 2300 or 1320 TVS® Supercharger rotating assembly with a four lobe design with 160° of twist for maximum flow, minimum temperature rise and quiet operation for excellent drivability. We also designed our superchargers with an integrated bypass valve to help eliminate parasitic loss under light throttle, improving mileage potential. Our unique and efficient inlet configuration results in a shorter, less restrictive intake path for improved air flow, without the need for a jack-shaft. Keeping the air cool is a high capacity air to water intercooler and low temp heat exchanger. Edelbrock supercharger systems are available in three performance levels for most applications."

Now I know we all would like big power all the time but putting a blower on and expecting more power without boost is just wrong. Let me explain the "under the curve".

Example
1) At 3000 rpm you can be in a vacuum condition say 14 in hg. In this situation there is no boost and a supercharger is actually robbing horsepower just to turn the rotors.

2) At 3000 rpm you can be at full boost....say 8 psi, WOT. In this situation you do not have a vacuum in intake manifold and are at the max "under the curve" point. Actually on the line of curve.

Everything from max vacuum to max boost is under the curve. Load via throttle position at 3000 rpm determines if your in vacuum or boost. So from max vacuum to 0 vacuum the supercharger is a parasite on the engine. Even at 1 or so psi boost the blower is not a power adder.

Now from say 1 psi to max boost the blower is a power adder.....assuming it's not heating the intake air too much.

This is why I say under light throttle and cruise the blower adds nothing it actually hurts power in those situations. IE in vacuum where the intergrated bypass valve is open.

I am sorry I can't explain it any better than that.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 AM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
The OP asked about the Eforce and below is from Edelbrocks website. This where they discuss an intergrated bypass valve.

"Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger systems deliver excellent horsepower and torque in a complete kit. Featuring a unique design with minimal components. It makes it possible to fit an E-Force Supercharger under the stock hood. The core of each system is the Eaton Gen VI 2300 or 1320 TVS® Supercharger rotating assembly with a four lobe design with 160° of twist for maximum flow, minimum temperature rise and quiet operation for excellent drivability. We also designed our superchargers with an integrated bypass valve to help eliminate parasitic loss under light throttle, improving mileage potential. Our unique and efficient inlet configuration results in a shorter, less restrictive intake path for improved air flow, without the need for a jack-shaft. Keeping the air cool is a high capacity air to water intercooler and low temp heat exchanger. Edelbrock supercharger systems are available in three performance levels for most applications.".
The info you posted about the E-Force supercharger from the Edelbrock site is a general overview.

E-Force Supercharger Systems - Introduction - Edelbrock, LLC.

Watch the video and you will see it's about a Corvette

Here is the info on the 2004-2008 F150 E-force

Thank you for purchasing the Edelbrock 5.4L Ford Supercharger System for the F-150. The Edelbrock E-Force
Supercharger System for the 2004-2008 5.4L 3V F-150 utilizes Eaton’s new Gen VI TVS Supercharger rotors, featuring a
four lobe design with a full 160°. of twist for maximum flow, minimum temperature rise, quiet operation, and the reliability
for which Eaton is known. These rotors however, are merely the foundation of the system. The Edelbrock Supercharger is
a complete system that maximizes efficiency and performance by minimizing air restriction into, and out of, the
supercharger. This results in maximum airflow, with minimum temperature rise and minimum power consumption. In
addition, Edelbrock inverted the supercharger and packaged it down low in the valley, allowing for an incredible, industry
leading, 14 inches of runner length, maximizing low end torque. The supercharger housing itself is integrated into the
intake manifold for a seamless design with minimal components, eliminating the possibility of vacuum leaks between
gasket surfaces. The system also utilizes a front drive, front inlet configuration giving it the shortest, least restrictive inlet
path on the market. Sitting right above the supercharger and below the enormous runners is the largest air to water
intercooler available, measuring an astonishing 110 square inches. Last but not least, the E-Force supercharger is without
a doubt the best looking engine compartment upgrade imaginable and features a uniquely styled plenum. In summation,
the Edelbrock supercharger will provide you with the most power at the lowest amount of boost resulting in neck snapping
performance that is safe to operate on a completely stock engine. It is also pending 50 state emissions legality, and can
be had with an optional 3 yr 36,000 mile (‘04-’06) or 5 yr 60,000 mile (‘07-’09) warranty so that there are no worries
when installing it on your brand new truck.
Some of this I posted in the 4th post

Old 12-27-2017, 07:58 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
This is where I got info.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/superchargers/

video is just a example as all of their superchargers operate on the same basic principles.

the ford systems are listed on that page along with chevy and dodge.

you cannot have more power without boost. Boost only happens when bypass valve closes at 0 or so in hg.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 AM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
video is just a example as all of their superchargers operate on the same basic principles.

you cannot have more power without boost. Boost only happens when bypass valve closes at 0 or so in hg.
1. All their E-Force superchargers are not 6 generation Eatons
2. You are the one who got stuck on the bypass valve issue.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by nddragon01
just looking for a bit more get-up-and-go out of the sluggish SuperCrew monster I have.
I would like the truck to move when I want it to (getting on highway, etc.)
It will do what you want with an Eaton supercharger. Mine does and then some.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
1. All their E-Force superchargers are not 6 generation Eatons
2. You are the one who got stuck on the bypass valve issue.
1. Never said they were. I said same basic operating principles. There is a difference.

2. No I was attempting an explanation of how the bypass valve allows the supercharger to start boost.

you started the conversation by saying:

Un-referenced things like " I hope the OP does not listen to you" and implying superchargers add power even when not boosting.

you can give very little actual input to this conversation without copy and pasting large text from websites.

I have tried to explain the operating principles in laymens terms in my own words. With the exception of trying to demonstrate that a bypass valve is a bypass valve reguardless of what you call it.

I just want the OP to be aware that a $6 to $7K supercharger is a power adder in medium to high load conditions. Not all the time.

Plus I will add that in my experience with KB the design of the system was not optimal. KB cheaped out and used a boost a pump to add fuel needed. I sold boost a pump and installed larger injectors and a larger fuel pump.

In my opinion any SC kit needs to have stock injectors and pump that are able to support the SC, or upgraded ones in kit. If they use easy to install gadgets ( like BAP) to compensate I would hesitate.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Video is about a Corvette

This is where I got info.

E-Force Supercharger Systems - Introduction - Edelbrock, LLC.

the ford systems are listed on that page along with chevy and dodge.
You did not watch the video.
Published on Dec 20, 2011
Vic Edelbrock pays a visit to the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger assembly area here at Edelbrock Headquarters in Torrance Ca. Watch as the latest in high performance Corvette Edelbrock E-Force Superchargers are hand built here in the USA. Narrated by Vic Edelbrock himself.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:34 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Your KB is an old non-intercooled twin screw. The Edelbrock is a Hybrid roots with a supercharger made by Eaton.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
Your KB is an old non-intercooled twin screw. The Edelbrock is a Hybrid roots with a supercharger made by Eaton.
Yes, all true.

Does not change the fact that any supercharger regardless of design can produce more power without boost. They cannot.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Yes, all true.

Does not change the fact that any supercharger regardless of design can produce more power without boost. They cannot.

Boost is merely a measure of resistance and a more efficient set up typically produces more power and a better power curve while showing lower boost.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 AM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Your opinion
But I will tell you that a SC will not add any get up and go to normal everyday light throttle driving.
My Facts
any time you lightly enter into the throttle, there’s an under-the-curve power scenario [separate from wide open throttle] that you’ll feel.

“There’s a lot of midrange and part-throttle areas that the supercharger is working efficiently at, making the engine more efficient, and making more power – and that’s a huge advantage over any other type of forced-induction application.”
“It’s a difficult area to measure, meaning the useful RPM range of normal driving

The overall performance is enhanced, and you feel like you have a much larger cubic-inch engine at any throttle input.”

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forced induction on a 04-08 5.4 4WD SCrew? Thoughts?