1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

K&N air flow system

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:41 PM
leroys4wd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N air flow system

I want to replace my '03 stock air box with a K&N system or similar system. Do I have to replace the stock MAF sensor also? Does this void my warranty? Is there any other issues I might encounter by replacing the stock air box? thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:06 PM
01 ford 4x4
New User
K&N air flow system

i just put one on my 2001 4x4 5.4 and no you dont have to change your maf your maf is good up to roughfully 600 horsepower and your kit includes everything you need i like mine alot and its a easy mod to put it on your self if you can read directions then you could put it on rite back and tell me what you think thanks damon

Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
K&N air flow system

You should remember that this kit is a high flow air kit.....meaning it lets more dust through as well.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
K&N air flow system

Really? My 88 5.0 Stang has 156,000 miles on it. I installed the K&N filter and a home made ram-air scoop uner the front bumper @9,000 miles. My Mass-air meter is as clean as the day I bought it and it still runs 12.40's in the 1/4 mile. The motor has never been apart and is all stock except for the spacer between the upper and lower intakes, MAC nickle plated headers, off-road 2 1/2" pipes and 2 chambered flowmasters with 3.55 gears, and a 75hp shot of NOS.
They must filter pretty good or the dirt would have worn out my engine by now!!
Jimmy

Old 09-10-2003, 07:18 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
K&N air flow system

Yeah.......but I bet his truck sees more dusty roads an such than your stang. Just telling what I have seen. I have to pull my air intake and clean the throttle body every year or so.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
K&N air flow system

I have had cigarette buts, leaves and everything else sucked up into the filter housing because the air intake is only about an inch off of the ground. Alot of road dust and dirt as well. The oil on the filter actually catches smaller particles of dirt than a paper filter.
Jimmy

Old 09-10-2003, 09:08 AM
leroys4wd
Senior User
K&N air flow system

a company called BOMZ RACING makes a kit that looks just like K&N's for about 1/2 the price, has anyone heard anything about this company, whether they make quality stuff or not?

Old 09-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Superbru
Senior User
K&N air flow system

The biggest benefit to installing an aftermarket air filter system is the whole it leaves in your pocket!

I believe the Ford engineers have the air filtration system designed pretty well. Don't you think that Ford would use this oil on a sponge technology, if it in fact would increase power and gas mileage, and still adequately clean the incoming air ?

Save your money. Just my .02.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 AM
leroys4wd
Senior User
K&N air flow system

you say that like Ford is known for their good engineering! lol!

Old 09-10-2003, 12:02 PM
f150-az
Senior User
K&N air flow system

like I said guys, make your own. You'll save $200 at least.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:19 PM
mike b
Junior User
K&N air flow system

I bought a system for $60 shipped from ebay for my wifes Expy.They are on there all of the time.Do a search for "f150 intake"You will reuse your stock MAF.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:35 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
K&N air flow system

Originally posted by Superbru
The biggest benefit to installing an aftermarket air filter system is the whole it leaves in your pocket!

I believe the Ford engineers have the air filtration system designed pretty well. Don't you think that Ford would use this oil on a sponge technology, if it in fact would increase power and gas mileage, and still adequately clean the incoming air ?

Save your money. Just my .02.

I agree that they've designed it to work with their designs however, they also have financial considerations. Think of all of the aftermarket add-ons...they take a current design and maximize its performance.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:39 PM
matcho
New User
Re: hole in the wallet

"The biggest benefit to installing an aftermarket air filter system is the whole it leaves in your pocket!

I believe the Ford engineers have the air filtration system designed pretty well. Don't you think that Ford would use this oil on a sponge technology, if it in fact would increase power and gas mileage, and still adequately clean the incoming air ?"

Corporations big and small don't always do things that make sense. I have no doubt that the oil companies and the automakers have "agreements"

I think we would have seen cars and trucks with drastically better fuel economy if the automakers were serious about letting the technology out.

The oil companies have a lot to lose if trucks get any better gas mileage than what the government tells them (automakers) they HAVE to design vehicles to get.

there is what is right and then there is reality

Old 10-05-2003, 07:03 AM
BAMF82
New User
I have a 2001 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 4X4. I live on a dirt road and go offroad quite a bit. I was considering installing the K&N System but I wanted the opinion of others. Since I do live on a dirt road and got offroad often, will it cause more problems than it's worth because of more dust and dirt getting into the motor?

Old 10-05-2003, 11:09 AM
matcho
New User
I think it will work fine

"I have a 2001 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 4X4. I live on a dirt road and go offroad quite a bit. I was considering installing the K&N System but I wanted the opinion of others. Since I do live on a dirt road and got offroad often, will it cause more problems than it's worth because of more dust and dirt getting into the motor?"

I've read about others' concerns regarding dust getting through the folter because they could see light through the K&N filter while they could not see light thru a paper filter. I put a KN filter in my wheelchair van (E350) last week and I can notice a difference in power. Granted, I had NEVER changed the paper filter since we bought the van, but we have not driven it much due to the gas mileage. So, it may have been that the paper filter was that dirty and a new filter made a diff (regardless of WHAT brand filter), but then again, maybe the KN made a diff.

Anyway, my opinion is that the K&N filter will filter BETTER than the paper due to the oils soaked into the cotton gauze. The paper filter relies on the tightness of the paper to keep dirt out and let air in. Thats why you can see a bit of light thru the paper, but you can darn near see through the K&N. The tacky oil in the K&N (I believe) will stop way more dirt, much more efficiently than a paper filter, and with less air restriction - even as the filter gets dirty.

I didnt buy a whole intake kit. I just bought the filter for $43 and put it into the stock airbox. fit like a glove. saved me hundreds over installing a whole kit.

Anyway, thats just my opinion based on logic and physics. Others may see things differently

Doug

Quick Reply: K&N air flow system