6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 2014 f350 No Start, codes 2239 and 2291

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 03:29 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 2014 f350 No Start, codes 2239 and 2291

I have a F350 2014 6.7 that recently had engine changed (sunk the old one in Miami Harbor)

I had already changed out all the wiring harnesses, ecu modules etc. Have been finishing up the other parts of the repair (steering gear, brake booster/cylinder etc) and took the truck out yesterday for a spin to test everything

Got down the street and ENGINE REDUCED POWER message appeared. After a few seconds it stalled. Started again, ran for a few seconds then stalled again. Did this a couple more times then refused to start.

Towed it back to my house. Checked it on IDS, got 2 codes 2291 (injector pressure too low at cranking) and 2239 low pressure fuel system.

I had bought a donor truck for parts when I sunk this in the harbour so have many other parts to hand which is forutunate for quickly testing things.

Tried to start at home, no luck. Heard a dodgy sound coming from the fuel pump, sort of scraping/whining. Figured it was probably air in the system which is supposed to self bleed.

Grabbed the pump off the donor truck and swapped them over. Still no start and still same noise when pumping fuel no matter how many times I try to prime the system

I unhooked feul line at engine and popped a gallon container under it. It filled up the whole gallon in less than 2 key cycles, so I assume the low pressure pump itself is delivering adequate fuel to the next part

I swapped out the fuel pressure control valve and temp sensors on the fuel rail as I had spares on the other truck and saw that sometimes this was the culprit

For some reason my IDS software was not reading the fuel pressures, but FORSCAN seemed to do it OK.

I took a screenshot whilst cranking the engine. the fuel rail pressure was only 2640kpa, when commanded pressure was 44290kpa.

Am I correct in assuming this is why the truck no longer starts? (it ran once this morning for about 5 seconds)

If so please can someone point me where to try next. I've read various scenarios to faulty High Pressure Fuel Pump to cracked injector. I have ordered a fuel line cap to isolate each injector at the fuel line and see if one of those is causing the problem.

I do have another HPFP on the other truck but they seem like a PITA to swap so would rather do that once I have exhausted all other options.

All tips and advice gratefully received and happy new year to all.

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 AM
terrymargate
Junior User
can someone at least tell me the best way to test the low pressure fuel system. Are there adapters I can buy to connect tto the fuel lines, or should I just clamp them off one at a time until the airs stops making noise whilst trying to prime the fuel pump.

I'd like to know if the are was beinging introduced from the engine or the fuel tank. If its from the fuel tank, I can replace those parts accordingly

thanks

Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Moved to 6.7L PSD forum.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Still struggling to get this going.

Things tried so far.

Have changed all the fuel lines, the pickup unit in the tank and the fuel pump. Yet can still hear air in the fuel pump as its priming the system.

Fitted blank cap to each high pressure injector line one by one top see if the pressure picked up, system was calling for 44000 kpa and getting somewhere between 5000 and 9000 kpa. No one injector capped bought the pressure up, although one did have fuel coming out whilst cranking (just one, so I figured this was not normal)

I have bought replacement O'rings copper washers and high pressure fuel lines for all 8 injectors, hope to fit them in the next few days.

Would appreciate any other tips to get this going.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM
cangim
Postmaster
From your post above, sounds like the pickup is flowing enough, Is the HPFP the same as the one dunked or is it from donor?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
The HPFP is from the donor. though the dunked one was working fine before engine swap (I still have it to change over if needed, plus spare injectors), and the donor one worked at first, I drove the truck30 miles home from the shop that did the engine swap.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Initially I did not swap motors, but a couple of months ago I did. It was fine for a few days, then this problem.

I'm really at a loss here, I could really use some help guys.

I've replaced all the fuel lines inclusing pickup in tank, right up to fuel filter on engine. I've also replaced the fuel pump.

I've replaced all the injector rings and the fuel lines that come with them as party of the kit. I also replaced the 3 sensors around the fuel rail by the fuel filter that sits on engine, I think one is the high pressure fuel sensor etc

Yes after all that, I still have this error "injector pressure too low, engine cranking"

The fuel pump is still noisy as sound like it has air in. I've had it off a couple of times before this error started and when I put it on, I only remember cycling ignition a few times to prime it, then it went so quit you could hardly hear it, now it make s a racket even after 10 cycles (see video on link)

I don't know if this noise indicating air is a red herring or not. Forscan is still showing me crancking pressure anything from 8000 to 11000 when commanded is 44000

I'm so fedup with this problem. Is there anything else anyone can suggest trying before I replace the HPFP? I just doubt that is the culprit, it came of a 3 year old truck and did work at first, but I'm fast running out of other options. Could I be missing something else obvious?