1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apples to Apples Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Dura Grappler Highway Terrain Light Truck Tire

This is the tire I would recommend for your climate and service.
Comes in a 10 ply E.
Thanks Benchwrench. I have heard those are great tires, but they do not come in my size.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:15 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Final Answer!!

Thanks to everyone for their great insight and suggestions! You really helped me out.

I was leaning hard toward the Nitto Ridge Grappler due to the tread pattern looking like it would handle highway travel better, but I could not find if they had a mileage warranty on them. I saw a video review that showed them with 8K and it looked like the siping is not only not full depth, but is only on the very thin (1/32") top piece of the lugs. (look at pictures, there is a thin layer that is inset on top of each main lug. Looks like when that is gone, your siping is gone). Then I found this review from a Vegas guy which seems to address the hot weather we have in the desert southwest. It shows pretty heavy edge chunking after just 4k and very minimal, very easy Southwest off roading

So I was down to TOYO MTs or RTs. I LOVE the MT aggressive look and I hear a lot of experience with over 40k on them, but they do not come with a mileage warranty. Also, I drive mostly highway, with minimal off road.

THUS!...(DRUM ROLL)...I went with the TOYO RT "hybrid." Heard nothing but great things everywhere I looked. Comes with a 45k warranty. Should be quieter and smoother on the highway than the MT. I only wish they would go with a more aggressive look (lugs) on the sidewalls. But that is just aesthetics. They check off all my other boxes regarding performance. And, at $295/tire I got a great price!!

Thanks again all! This is the best forum on the interwebs!!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
CORRECTION

Actually, the siping issue I saw on the video was on the TOYO RT, not the Nitto.

Sorry, I read so many reviews and posts, and watched so many videos, they are all a BLUR!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TucsonTripleB
Thanks to everyone for their great insight and suggestions! You really helped me out.

I was leaning hard toward the Nitto Ridge Grappler due to the tread pattern looking like it would handle highway travel better, but I could not find if they had a mileage warranty on them. I saw a video review that showed them with 8K and it looked like the siping is not only not full depth, but is only on the very thin (1/32") top piece of the lugs. (look at pictures, there is a thin layer that is inset on top of each main lug. Looks like when that is gone, your siping is gone). Then I found this review from a Vegas guy which seems to address the hot weather we have in the desert southwest. It shows pretty heavy edge chunking after just 4k and very minimal, very easy Southwest off roading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KHRW6r1hV0

So I was down to TOYO MTs or RTs. I LOVE the MT aggressive look and I hear a lot of experience with over 40k on them, but they do not come with a mileage warranty. Also, I drive mostly highway, with minimal off road.

THUS!...(DRUM ROLL)...I went with the TOYO RT "hybrid." Heard nothing but great things everywhere I looked. Comes with a 45k warranty. Should be quieter and smoother on the highway than the MT. I only wish they would go with a more aggressive look (lugs) on the sidewalls. But that is just aesthetics. They check off all my other boxes regarding performance. And, at $295/tire I got a great price!!

Thanks again all! This is the best forum on the interwebs!!

Let me know how you like the RT's. When I was deciding, I was between the toyo AT or RT. I opted for the AT and am very happy I did, but sometimes wish I had gone with the RT. However, with almost 10k miles on them, they still look new and they're quiet on the road. They even do good in the mud I take em through. (Not much mud, but still). The only thing I wish the AT had was a more aggressive look, but I can live with it. Here's a little story that might help someone decide on tires. A vendor brought some corn seed for my dad one night and I was helping him disconnect his trailer when I noticed he had some Toyo AT on his 2012 f250. I asked how many miles he had on them as they had just a little bit of tread left and he informed me that he had 91k miles on them and that he will definitely be buying them again lol. He rotated them every oil change which is probably why they lasted so long. But still, 91k miles is insane. Congrats on your purchase and hop you like the tires!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM
chick
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was going to recommend the Hankook Dynapro AT. I have over 50k miles on mine, lots of meat left. Have been in mud (not heavy) snow, and lots of highway miles. They are quiet (relatively anyway) and handle the twisty *** roads I drive on really well.
Good luck with the Toyos, I don't think you can really go wrong with them.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you will like the Toyo RTs. I have had mine in mud, desert, snow, highway and A LOT OF RAIN. They have been fantastic so far. Here are some recent pics of them to give you an idea of mileage I have gotten out of them. These are 37x13.50x20 on stock 2012 wheels. I siped them for snow trips last year. These pics show right at 45k miles on the tires. I'm very pleased with the mileage.