1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Questions on cut wires?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:56 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,778 Posts
Question Questions on cut wires?

1st, let me say thank you for any help that maybe given.
2nd, I have looked over the Ford wiring diagrams and I can not read them/under stand them as they are nothing like what I have used to rewire other make of cars & trailers.

This is for an 81 F100 300/six with factory AC, motor was pulled and dash wire cut when I got truck so don't know what they went to.

I will start off with I think easy ones as they are not cut.
Regulator/solenoid area: large Black/red stripe (cut end) think from ALT to SOL but not sure?
Same picture that red/white stripe wire with 90* end: SOL to "S" lug?

ALT area: long yellow wire with heat shield/spade end by radiator - choke?

AC PSI switch harness: green wire?
Same harness: long black/yellow dash - AC compressor?

Distributor harness: long Red wire with added plastic covering - water temp?

Radio area: radio was ripped out breaking dash, don't know what stock type it was.
4 wire harness = 2 black/white dash - speaker grounds?
1 orange/green dash - left speaker?
1 white/green dash - right speaker?

6 heavy wires: radio wires??
2 have ends = 1 brown/white stripe plugged in to main harness,
other brown/orange stripe plugged in to main harness
2 brown/white stripe = cut?
1 brown/orange stripe = cut?
1 green/purple dash = cut?

Brown plug connector 3 wires: ??
2 black to the same spade in connector
1 red/green stripe

Again thanks for any help you can give.
Dave ----

Old 09-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Those colors on the wires get faded and are hard to figure out. The diagram shows a large black/orange that is the output from the alternator. It runs from the alternator lug over, and if you have gauges it hits the shunt with two smaller wires going back to the instrument cluster. The two small wires will be red/orange and yellow/lightgreen. These smaller wires are spliced or welded onto the shunt and the large black/orange.

After that the black/orange hits a fusible link and then is bolted directly to the bat side of the solenoid. If you do not have gauges, the black/orange skips the shunt and runs directly to the fusible link and then the solenoid.

Look carefully at the elbow connector wire. The start wire with the elbow connector that goes to the "s" terminal of the solenoid should be red with a lightblue stripe. The lightblue might be faded to look like white.

What I would do when you are ready is to get a small battery charger and hook it to the battery terminals instead of hooking in a battery. Then you can do some testing without the danger of damaging and smoking wires, the small 10 amp battery charger will run most things, and it has a circuit breaker in it.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Franklin2
The choke wire should be white/black. It should go from the "S" terminal of the alternator to the choke. See if it has a black stripe, the heat from the engine could have turned the white to yellow.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Franklin2
The black/yellow does go to the compressor clutch.

Lightgreen/pink hash wire goes from the low pressure switch to the A/C switch in the dash.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Franklin2
Your water temp wire should be red/white.

Your oil pressure wire will be white/red.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Franklin2

Those colors on the wires get faded and are hard to figure out. The diagram shows a large black/orange that is the output from the alternator. It runs from the alternator lug over, and if you have gauges it hits the shunt with two smaller wires going back to the instrument cluster. The two small wires will be red/orange and yellow/lightgreen. These smaller wires are spliced or welded onto the shunt and the large black/orange.

After that the black/orange hits a fusible link and then is bolted directly to the bat side of the solenoid. If you do not have gauges, the black/orange skips the shunt and runs directly to the fusible link and then the solenoid.

Look carefully at the elbow connector wire. The start wire with the elbow connector that goes to the "s" terminal of the solenoid should be red with a lightblue stripe. The lightblue might be faded to look like white.

What I would do when you are ready is to get a small battery charger and hook it to the battery terminals instead of hooking in a battery. Then you can do some testing without the danger of damaging and smoking wires, the small 10 amp battery charger will run most things, and it has a circuit breaker in it.
Thanks.
I thought that was what the 2 wires were for as that is the only thing I could think would be over that way.
I will say I forgot the fuse link so that was added to my notes.

The only charger I have are 2 auto shop 6v/12v type with start switch so might be too large lol.

The choke wire should be white/black. It should go from the "S" terminal of the alternator to the choke. See if it has a black stripe, the heat from the engine could have turned the white to yellow.
So you think the 2nd picture might be the choke wire? I was thinking the same but will check it closer for colors.

Any help on the others?
I am pretty sure the one on the back of the valve cover is the temp wire that runs behind the cover to the other side of the motor.

Thanks again
Dave ----

ps on that fuse link wire would you know the rating so I can pick one up?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Franklin2
I would think your charger has a slow charge feature that should work for your uses. I believe the start switch on the charger might bypass the circuit breaker for boost purposes. See if you can find out more about it.

I can't find any brown/white wires. I did find a brown/lightblue that goes to the seat belt switch and seat belt warning indicator relay, and there is a black/lightblue that runs all over the place for the domelight circuits, including the door switches.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
I've got an unmolested '83 harness out in the field of dreams. Would love to send it your way, but shipping would be a killer. Can take some pics if that would help.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks guys.
I will have to check my chargers to see what the lowest setting is. They are from the 80'S when dad and I had a repair shop, think gas station type chargers.

On the harness thanks for the offer and may take you up on the picture offer.
The harness I am working with is from the parts truck as that is what most of the other stuff is from.
I still have the harness from this truck so I will dig it out from a storage bin and see if that will help me.
I am pretty sure them brown wires are for the radio because they also cut the speaker wires.
If anything I can get the plug ends from this trucks harness.
Dave - - - -

Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
"Distributor harness: long Red wire with added plastic covering - water temp?"

You are correct on this wire.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts
Glad to see you back in the garage and working on your project.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
"Distributor harness: long Red wire with added plastic covering - water temp?"

You are correct on this wire.
Thanks.
The only other 2 wires under the hood I don't know about is long black with yellow dash & that green one.
thinking the long black is for the compressor and the green under hood light?

Originally Posted by diggerrigger
Glad to see you back in the garage and working on your project.
Now that it is cooler I can. When the temp in the garage was in the 90s just no way I could work in there.
Heck dogs & cats did not want to go out it was so hot!
Now the crazy hours I work is the next thing killing me. Up at 2am and not home till 7pm is ruff.
Dave - - - -

Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Franklin2
The black/yellow does go to the compressor clutch.

Lightgreen/pink hash wire goes from the low pressure switch to the A/C switch in the dash.
You must have missed it.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
You must have missed it.
Yes I did.
But I think the is a plug/wires already on the psi switch as I marked it when I pulled the truck apart.
I will recheck the wires and colors to make sure they are right.
thanks
Dave - - - -

Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ok got back in the garage today to do a little more work on the project.
Ok I dug out the old harness from this truck that had NO AC to see if I could find where the group of cut heavy brown wires go.

and came up with this on the non AC harness - see the loop - unplug it and plug in the AC harness from what I can tell. You can see the 2 plugs in the above picture.

I traced it out the best I could and it looked to be part of the AC harness as it passes thru the firewall under the HVAC box into the motor side as 2 wires.

I now know what the wires are for black/yellow dash for the compressor and the other I am pretty sure is for a fast idle solenoid to kick the idle up when the AC is on.

Thing is I still don't know what the cut wires went to?
I checked the 2 HVAC control panels I have and I see the fan & tank switches and see the plugs for them

So does anyone have a break down of the AC harness so I know what the cut wires went to or if someone has a 81 truck with AC and that area apart, HVAC/Radio area, to see what is there would help a lot.

BTW the choke wire is part of the ALT harness

Thanks
Dave ----

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions on cut wires?