2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmoorman
Key word is it’s not affecting them “yet”. There’s clearly an issue with these plugs. I just happen to find the issue before others because of the extreme conditions I put mine in. Over time I bet this starts affecting a lot more people. It also must be happening enough that there’s a national part shortage.
I'm not one to put much stock in most conspiracy theories. If Ford never expected to see a need for replacement connectors then there probably wasn't much call for extra inventory. If even a few people need them from the dealer then that could easily create a "shortage". If Ford revised the spec then that could also create a shortage.

I don't think this problem is anywhere close to epidemic level yet. Yes, it sucks that you're affected and you have my sympathy. I suspect that in my area of the country the lack of humidity allows the connectors to dry out quickly.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Tmoorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever makes you sleep better at night lol I’m not trying to be an ******* but one truck yeah that’s bad luck. Multiple trucks and the key sign of it is if random codes like trailer lights or blind spot detection sensors start coming up on your dash and go away.

On the the bright side my dealer said they hit wired it all together and got it fixed for now

Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmoorman
On the the bright side my dealer said they hit wired it all together and got it fixed for now
Maybe it's better off that way if there's not any reason to ever unplug it anyway.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's what I would do. The plug ain't there for the end user. So solder the wires up properly and get the truck back on the road.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't know how a service tech can't go ape$%^& when told to just let the truck sit on the lot when it's an easy fix. I'd flip out if one of my good customers got treated like that. (my bad customers are out of luck LOLz)

Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
That's what I would do. The plug ain't there for the end user. So solder the wires up properly and get the truck back on the road.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't know how a service tech can't go ape$%^& when told to just let the truck sit on the lot when it's an easy fix. I'd flip out if one of my good customers got treated like that. (my bad customers are out of luck LOLz)
When I installed my Magnum headache rack, which includes redundant LED brake and reverse lights, it came with a harness which actually connects in-line at the spot of this troubled plug by the spare tire. Initially Magnum was using an in-line 7-way trailer plug at the connection behind the bumper, but this caused the truck to think there was always a trailer attached and automatically shut off the rear sensors. Tapping in at the body harness further back eliminated the problem. The plug it well made and connects tightly. I used dielectric grease on both ends, and have not had any problems. I'm glad the OP's dealership has got it fixed.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Tmoorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it back and everything works, the dealer went above and beyond while ford sat on their hands. But more bad news is they started pulling other plugs apart and found water in them as well.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There are ways to fix this. Direct wire. Use the other connectors my dealer found.

I feel bad for the people who have lost their truck for weeks when other options were available.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I'm going to need a bigger tube of dielectric grease.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM
troverman
Hotshot
You can also use Fluid Film. It has the same basic properties as dielectric grease, but you can spray it from an aerosol can right into the connectors. Or use WD-40 on connectors that are already wet.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I'm going to need a bigger tube of dielectric grease.
Me, too. I haul all of our domestic water with my rig and while I'm not dousing the underside of my rig, it's not exactly a dry experience, either! Normally wouldn't worry about it but some of these guy's stories are brutal.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
I got my truck back today. Everything seems to be working good.

Here are the part numbers that are available to make this fix. According to my dealer these connectors seal better than the OEM versions.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Ford just issued a TSB, all owners need to smear every external connector with dielectric grease...just kidding. Redrocker, glad the dealer fixed it. And now we know about your aftermarket LEDs you installed.

I would think just wrapping the existing plugs (assuming the pins weren't rusted) in electrical tape would also solve the problem. Connectors are probably made in China and inferior grade. Not Super Duty grade. Maybe installing a little "shield" around the plug would be OK, too.

With all this in mind, now consider buying a flood car with a salvage title.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by troverman
Ford just issued a TSB, all owners need to smear every external connector with dielectric grease...just kidding. Redrocker, glad the dealer fixed it. And now we know about your aftermarket LEDs you installed.

I would think just wrapping the existing plugs (assuming the pins weren't rusted) in electrical tape would also solve the problem. Connectors are probably made in China and inferior grade. Not Super Duty grade. Maybe installing a little "shield" around the plug would be OK, too.

With all this in mind, now consider buying a flood car with a salvage title.
Ha Ha...Yes...for me the biggest frustration with this whole 'connector' issue was the blaming on me for the trucks problems.

First it was my fault because I was using a OBD II communication device.

Then it was the Anker/Apple lighting USB cord plugged into the stock ford USB connector to charge my phone and use Apple CarPlay.

Then it was the LED Tail lights

Then it was the possibility that I had Raptor style lights installed and wired directly to one of my up fitter switches.

So you can imagine the frustration I have had with this dealership around this problem.

Then they pull a rabbit out of their hat and come up with these new connectors that they claim are better than stock and are available with no back order wait.

I have my truck back and for now it's working perfectly.

It's a classic love / frustration relationship with this dealership.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55
Ha Ha...Yes...for me the biggest frustration with this whole 'connector' issue was the blaming on me for the trucks problems.

Then it was the Anker/Apple lighting USB cord plugged into the stock ford USB connector to charge my phone and use Apple CarPlay.

Then it was the possibility that I had Raptor style lights installed and wired directly to one of my up fitter switches.

So you can imagine the frustration I have had with this dealership around this problem.

Then they pull a rabbit out of their hat and come up with these new connectors that they claim are better than stock and are available with no back order wait.

LOL for sure, some dealers will point to ANYTHING...

Service writer: Can I help you?

Yes, I think an injector has gone bad and its making the engine run really rough and yes its still in warranty.

SW: We don't work on modified cars.

What is it you are concerned about?

SW: Well look at your Jeep, you have removed the OEM fenders and replaced them with tube plate.

WHAT do the fenders have to do with a fuel injector?

SW: Well its not just that but you have removed the rocker guard and replaced them with tube!

Yea, Schedule 40 4in pipe to protect from rocks. Let me talk to the Service Manager...I talked to the SM and the Zone Rep, turned down by Damiler Chrysler Jeep due to modifications even tho those mods had no effect on the bad fuel injector.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55

Some dealers are better than others. Standard warranty procedure though, is to make sure any modifications the customer has made didn't cause the problem. In fairness, Ford shouldn't have to pay for problems they didn't cause. Don's example is what a lousy dealer would do. Your example...well, the USB connection is very silly; the LED lights are getting warmer since that harness does carry the voltage and signal for all the rear lights. If I was the dealer, I would have not said anything about the USB, but absolutely would have put "stock" lighting back in and tried to replicate the problem. I think that was fair. The Raptor-style lights wired to an upfitter? Perfectly valid, intended use of Ford's upfitter switches. Shouldn't have been questioned at all. The dealer making their own connectors? I'd appreciate them for that, to get you back on the road without having to wait through the backorder. And they may well be an upgrade.

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues