2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems to me that a dealer in Houston is probably swamped with damaged vehicles and them giving you the no coverage line is just a by product of the situation down there. Sort of a conditioned response because they may have so many problem vehicles.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's usually more to most every story.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Guess
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shortride
There's usually more to most every story.
Absolutely.
All electrical systems are protected by fuses or internal self resetting breakers, for this many harnesses to be affected, there must be more to the story.

It's typical for weatherpack (or equivalent ) connectors to not be fully weather tight, but would not be affected by normal amounts of water being splashed, especially non corrosive fresh water. Most of the hurricane water was fresh as well, so non corrosive.

However. If this truck was used to haul a boat, and had prolonged exposure with salt water that made its way into the harnesses, that would have wreaked havoc on the systems.

If you combine corroded connectors, and a not sealed trailer wiring harness, and you dip that into the water and short voltage across grounds and can signals, and you have a recipe for this sort of mess.

Just my 2 cents. (from a guy that deals with electronics on a day to day)

Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM
CACRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would like to know what dealer your truck is at. I have had warranty work done at both Mac Haik Ford and Autonation Ford Katy without an issue.

Mac Haik even replaced leaf spring on my 2013 F150 because they were making noise and had sand in them after driving on the beach in Galveston. IMO, the leaf springs should be able to stand up to sand, dirt, etc and not make noise...obviously, they agreed. But, it sounds like a similar situation to yours, if they are under the truck, where anything can get thrown up from the road, they shouldn't malfunction from some water. I'd stand my ground and/or go to a different dealer.

Chris

Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Ford needs to step up. Unless the truck was sitting in deep water for a prolonged period, this should not even be happening.

There was a video online of wiring harnesses on the new Super Duty which were not properly secured under the hood. I think one of them melted due to location near the exhaust. Perhaps this was your problem.

Many vehicles have been driven off-road through deep water and no not suffer electric issues. I drove my '92 Range Rover frequently through water up to the hood level...and surprisingly did not have electric issues.

By the way, the Raptor is only rated to drive through water 32" deep...

Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM
Fergs
New User
"I did not drive the truck in any water of threatening depth."

Did you drive it through any water at all?

I grew up next to a ford through a creek. It is not deeper than about a foot or so, but we had cars and trucks get flooded and/or stuck all the time. It doesn't take much water to cause a problem.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 AM
grouperjim
Senior User
As a data point I can say that driving on a regular basis through the helacious storms we get in the Everglades on I75 I have have never had any issues. It is the best truck I have owned for driving on the rain.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:25 PM
johndrush
New User
Originally Posted by CACRanger
I too would like to know what dealer your truck is at. I have had warranty work done at both Mac Haik Ford and Autonation Ford Katy without an issue.

Mac Haik even replaced leaf spring on my 2013 F150 because they were making noise and had sand in them after driving on the beach in Galveston. IMO, the leaf springs should be able to stand up to sand, dirt, etc and not make noise...obviously, they agreed. But, it sounds like a similar situation to yours, if they are under the truck, where anything can get thrown up from the road, they shouldn't malfunction from some water. I'd stand my ground and/or go to a different dealer.

Chris
Hey Chris, I bought this truck from Ryan Ford in Sealy and it is currently there for this problem. I was pleased with the buying experience at Ryan Ford, but I am not pleased with their service department trying to immediately not warranty this issue.

The thought has crossed my mind that they know that I am a business owner and charging me for repairs probably pays them much better than being reimbursed by Ford for warranty work..

Nevertheless, I expect if I keep driving Fords that I will return to buying at Mac Haik where I have always been treated fairly.

Thanks for your replies!
John Rush

Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM
johndrush
New User
Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 AM
ravill
Senior User
Those pics! Wowza.

If a truck can't get a little wet every once and a while, well, what kind of heavy duty truck can that be?

And pulling boats? Saltwater? There are 2424914871894678687 trucks in florida doing just that.

A truck getting wet and trying to use a truck at periscope depths are different animals.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
I would be interested to know exactly where this plug is located so other's can monitor them for potential problems.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 AM
MarkInMd
Freshman User
Is there a rubber gasket inside the female end of this connector? It's hard to tell in the picture. If so, then the gasket failed. If not, it's a design flaw.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
So, if a guy backed a boat trailer a little too far down the ramp he could have this kind of problem? Its not uncommon to dip the bumper or tailgate a bit.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Could you provide us the location of that electrical connector?

Wow. But at least they found the problem.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:00 AM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Connector Defect

Originally Posted by johndrush

there is an issue with that connector, same problem on F-150’s! It’s not water tight.. just cause it has a little seal ring inside doesn’t make it water resistant or water tight!

The amount of moisture inside proves it is either a defective part or poor design.

and Ford Warranty covered this problem for others, and likely even bought trucks back before they could figure it out.

plug may work inside cab, if cab didn’t have so many leaks. Outside and in the location near spare time absolutely should be water proof!

Ford really cut quality on these trucks to reduce weight and profit!

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues