1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F-1 V8 Hood Inner Air Defector ?.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:22 AM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F-1 V8 Hood Inner Air Defector ?.

I'm embarrassed to ask for this but I need some help

My hood had an I-6 air defector installed in it. I have a flathead 8, so I ordered a new air deflector from Dennis Carpenter for a V8 since they are different. I removed it from the hood and cut loose stripping paint.

I now can't get the new one to fit in my hood no matter where I attempt to put it and I'm not sure exactly which set of holes it is supposed to go in to begin with.

Could one of y'all with a flathead V8 in you 51-52 F-1 do me a favor and post me some pics of where the hood air deflector fits in the hood? Which of the holes it lines up to?

The defector is a structural piece that holds the hood and keeps it from flexing. Since I'm doing body work right now, I kinda need it installed while I'm doing glazing, blocking, and sanding.

Thanks in advance. I feel like a complete dumb *** asking for this, btw.

Keith

Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through something similar with my 49 F-1. Since a 6 is a longer engine, the radiator is farther forward and therefore the hood deflector is also farther forward. It's supposed to close off the air that would go over the top of the radiator if the deflector were not there. In my case I removed the deflector because I used a non-stock radiator with my 302 V8. In your case, the flathead V8 being a shorter engine you would want the deflector moved back toward the firewall but that assumes you have also moved the radiator back to the V8 position. Otherwise, it would interfere with the top of the radiator. If you check closely you will find a second set of mounting holes in the hood for the deflector. Mount the deflector in the set of holes the farthest back toward the firewall and you should be golden.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
It's not a structural piece of the hood. My hood doesn't have one and has no problem with flex. If your hood is that floppy you have other problems.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tinman52
It's not a structural piece of the hood. My hood doesn't have one and has no problem with flex. If your hood is that floppy you have other problems.
Agree. I did not see that it offered any structural rigidity to the hood either. It is an air deflector and its only purpose is to force air through the radiator instead of allowing it to pass over the top.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Pictures would help Keith.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I know they would.

That all I originally wanted was a picture of someone's hood with a V8 that has it installed in the right location to show me where they have it located.

I have three sets of holes in my hood for the rib. I can't get it to fit in any of them with what feels right. I know this seems so trivial and simple (cause it is) but I'd like to make sure I only do it once.

Thanks

Keith

Old 09-21-2017, 10:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ktgovols
I know they would.

That all I originally wanted was a picture of someone's hood with a V8 that has it installed in the right location to show me where they have it located.

I have three sets of holes in my hood for the rib. I can't get it to fit in any of them with what feels right. I know this seems so trivial and simple (cause it is) but I'd like to make sure I only do it once.

Thanks

Keith
If I remember correctly there were only two sets on my 49 but maybe they changed something by 51. If you have the right deflector it should fit only one set of holes. You can't put a V8 deflector into the space where a 6 cylinder deflector was and vice versa. Went through my pictures but I don't have one of the inner hood.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hope this helps this is a 49 F1

My radiator is in the 6 cylinder position so for V8 I believe the hole to the right Is what you want
Make sure you have the correct deflector V8 is different from the 6

Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I have a spare (and not a re-pop) V8 deflector in good shape if you find you need it.
I learned the lesson the hard way ($$) about the difference between a 6 and 8 part.
Since I have 6's....I can't use the 8 one.
Tom

Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Here ya go, DS first, PS second. The deflector does provide a lot of rigidity to the hood, there's nothing else to provide any reinforcement.

The following 2 users liked this post by ALBUQ F-1:
Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I'm guessing here but is this what you need?

Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Yours are in the 6-cyl position, Pete.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Hood deflector

Keith
Here is a photo I got off the internet that may help.
If you want to sell the 6 cylinder deflector let me know as I need one.
Thanks
Dan

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by burnettd01
Keith
Here is a photo I got off the internet that may help.
If you want to sell the 6 cylinder deflector let me know as I need one.
Thanks
Dan
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That one is worth at least 2000-3000.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Is there only one part number for 6 and 8 cylinder? The parts manual shows only one in the illustration index (#16613) and that number or part description is not even listed in the Text version. If there is only one, Dan there are lots of them listed on eBay and C & G Ford parts. The ones on eBay say they are for V8s but C&G doesn't differentiate.

Thanks Ross. I'll have to move it back after I paint the hood. The only marking on mine is an embossed H.

Quick Reply: F-1 V8 Hood Inner Air Defector ?.