1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F-1 V8 Hood Inner Air Defector ?.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
They are different, 6-cyl vs. V8. AFAIK no one repros the 6-cyl piece.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Old 09-21-2017, 07:14 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
The "H" is for the 6. The 8 should have an "R". Here is a comparison picture I found on line when I was looking for mine.

Top is for the 6 and lower for the 8.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Hood deflector

Pete

As best as I can tell, no repro 6 cylinder deflectors are available. I have a V-8 deflector, but I moved my radiator to the 6 cylinder position for clearance between the engine and electric fan.

So I am still looking for a 6 cyl deflector. I'll find one someday. I am in no hurry.

Thanks

Dan

Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 PM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank all so much for the pics. They are a big help.

I don't have a clue why it wouldn't fit, but I will "manipulate" it into place. LOL!

Keith

Old 09-22-2017, 06:51 PM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
One more follow up.

My holes looked just like the photo Ross posted. And I fit it in that way this afternoon. Dan, that pic you posted was awesome BTW!

I positioned it in the center rib first. Then positioned the holes on the left and right. Now I don't want to start an argument about the air deflector's structural property in the hood assembly, but I'll just share this and it may help explain why I had the question to begin with. With the deflector in position and centered in the correct slotted hole in the center rib with the single bolt tightened, I had to pull the left and the right side of the hood in 1/4" or 5/16" towards the center line in order to get the slotted sheet metal screws in on both sides. My hood hasn't been wrecked and hammered back out. It is about as straight as they come. Without the defector, the sides deflect out ever so slightly whereas with the deflector in place, I can almost hold a straight edge on it. Thus, the center to center dimension of the slotted holes on the sides changed 1/2" to 5/8" with the defector in place. And that is why I wanted it in place before blocking and sanding, even though my hood is almost perfect.

Thanks again for y'all pictures and support.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The fact that the deflector is a reproduction part may have something to do with it not being a perfect fit.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-02-2017, 12:46 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Hood deflector

Thanks, guys
Ktgovols (Keith) was kind enough to send me his 6 cylinder hood deflector. So I am set.

Way to go Keith.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Here is the difference between the V8 and the I6 deflector.

I6 hood air deflector top and V8 bottom

Old 06-22-2023, 09:16 PM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm trying to put a reproduction V8 air deflector into a nice used hood (from a V8) that's missing its deflector. The holes for the screws at the ends of new deflector are about 5/16" closer together than the narrowest point of the holes for the screws on the hood. The hood has been carefully stored for 20 years since the deflector was removed. If someone has a new repro deflector on hand, I'd like to know the exact distance between those holes. Also, would like to know the same measurement on an original V8 deflector that's still in good shape. From reading other posts, it sounds like I should just pull the sides of the hood together a bit and install the new one - and not worry about it messing up the hood. Thanks in advance for help on this! - Bob

Old 06-23-2023, 06:46 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 52 4x4
I'm trying to put a reproduction V8 air deflector into a nice used hood (from a V8) that's missing its deflector. The holes for the screws at the ends of new deflector are about 5/16" closer together than the narrowest point of the holes for the screws on the hood. The hood has been carefully stored for 20 years since the deflector was removed. If someone has a new repro deflector on hand, I'd like to know the exact distance between those holes. Also, would like to know the same measurement on an original V8 deflector that's still in good shape. From reading other posts, it sounds like I should just pull the sides of the hood together a bit and install the new one - and not worry about it messing up the hood. Thanks in advance for help on this! - Bob
It sounds like you don't have an V-8 "deflector" (baffle). Your hood should have 2 sets of holes. The ones to the front fit the I-6 and the ones behind them are for the V-8. These should correspond to where your radiator/fender support is fitted. If you post some pictures it would help.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:35 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Hood air deflectors are on the Great 8 th. Annual Parts Safari list scheduled for early Oct . Was called back for nothing last yr. Didn't get a chance to go picking , finish my brothers window install or try to harvest some Wis . speed beef . Have 3 complete Magic Air systems to pick + a list of 26 other parts . Get your parts request in asap . Thanks Denny

Old 06-24-2023, 10:29 AM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
If someone has a new repro deflector on hand, I'd like to know the exact distance between those holes. Also, would like to know the same measurement on an original V8 deflector that's still in good shape.
Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. I was just trying to find out if the repro air deflectors are known for being 1/4" to 3/8" narrower than the original Ford part. Threads I've read here seem to indicate that might be the case. I went ahead and used a ratchet "tie-down" to pull the hood slightly narrower and made it fit. I had been running a 6 cylinder deflector in my '52 V8 for 50 years by extending the ends about an inch on each side with pieces of 1/8" x 1" flat steel, since the original deflector was long gone. The hood I'm working on now is from a V8 truck that I bought as a replacement 20 years ago and am just getting around to installing. The seller kept the deflector that was on the replacement hood, so I bought the repro to install on it. Here's pics of the 6 cyl. deflector that I was using on my '52 V8. - Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by 52 4x4:
Old 06-24-2023, 03:08 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. I was just trying to find out if the repro air deflectors are known for being 1/4" to 3/8" narrower than the original Ford part. Threads I've read here seem to indicate that might be the case. I went ahead and used a ratchet "tie-down" to pull the hood slightly narrower and made it fit. I had been running a 6 cylinder deflector in my '52 V8 for 50 years by extending the ends about an inch on each side with pieces of 1/8" x 1" flat steel, since the original deflector was long gone. The hood I'm working on now is from a V8 truck that I bought as a replacement 20 years ago and am just getting around to installing. The seller kept the deflector that was on the replacement hood, so I bought the repro to install on it. Here's pics of the 6 cyl. deflector that I was using on my '52 V8. - Bob
Bob, the only problem with that is that the baffle doesn't fit tight against the underside of the hood allowing air to bypass the radiator. But . . . if you are not having any overheating problems given the use to which you put your truck it doesn't matter.

The other ting that uou can do is move your radiator/fender mount forward to the I-6 holes. You can then use the I-6 baffle. This gives you more space between the front of the engine and the radiator. Of course if you are not using an electric fan then you have to extend the fan shroud . . . which should be easy enough to do with a strip of aluminum.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:00 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
If the width of the bolt holes was posted, I missed it. This may give you additional dimensions.

My 48 V8 hood measures 33 3/4" outside to outside across the mounting bolts with an original air deflector..
The bolts measure 32 3/4' center to center.

I don't have a reproduction deflector to compare. I doubt that you will hurt things by moving the hood 5/16".

The following 2 users liked this post by mtflat:

Quick Reply: F-1 V8 Hood Inner Air Defector ?.