Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone have experience with Fluid Film?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone have experience with Fluid Film?

I'm going to be getting my 2016 Lariat undercoated before winter. More so for the frame than anything. I'm looking at Fluid film and it seems to be a pretty decent product. The only drawback is they recommend a touch up every year. Anyone have any experience with this stuff, good or bad? Anyone recommend another undercoat over this? In western PA, I would rather not take chances.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
It's a good product. Seems to work well here in Indiana. It's a lot less messy than using oil to rust proof

Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I prefer Krown.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 PM
SNOWMAN34
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the fluid film.
Been using it twice a year on my 2000 F350 here in Salt-achusetts. Without a doubt it has given my truck more years to live!!!
Only suggestions I would offer is to spend the extra $20 and get the sprayer to go with it, and don't get it on your rotors.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:32 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by T diesel
Check these locations...
https://www.krown.com/locations/all/
Appreciate the list, however, it looks as though the closest location to me is about 2 hours away give or take. I guess Fluid film it is. Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SNOWMAN34
Love the fluid film.
Been using it twice a year on my 2000 F350 here in Salt-achusetts. Without a doubt it has given my truck more years to live!!!
Only suggestions I would offer is to spend the extra $20 and get the sprayer to go with it, and don't get it on your rotors.
This initial application will be done by a pro, not me. May pick some up for touch ups but I can always take it back in for those. Thanks for the review.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I've been using fluid film for 4yrs now and the parts that have been coated are as clean as the day I drove the trucks off the lot. I've been reapplying twice a year on the frame and underbody and once a year on the insides of the rockers and doors. I might drop down to once a year on everything since there is still a pretty good coating on the truck when I reapply in the fall.

I also drive down a dusty road to get the fluid film covered which helps keep it from getting washed off as easily.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Thanks. I just got my truck done yesterday. Very pleased to see it's not leaking all over the garage floor. First touch up next fall will be free so, all in all, I'm pretty happy so far. The proof is in the punch so when/if winter decides to show up this year, we'll see how it holds up.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:19 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ACADguy
Appreciate the list, however, it looks as though the closest location to me is about 2 hours away give or take. I guess Fluid film it is. Thanks guys.
I actually did drive 2 hours to the Krown shop in Stanley, NY to have my Expy done there because of the reputation of the application tech and the video they prepared. Good guys.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ACADguy
Thanks. I just got my truck done yesterday. Very pleased to see it's not leaking all over the garage floor. First touch up next fall will be free so, all in all, I'm pretty happy so far. The proof is in the punch so when/if winter decides to show up this year, we'll see how it holds up.

If you get really hot temps or drive on wet roads it will leach back around some of the parts if they put it on thicker. Getting a coat of dust on the fluid film will help hold it in place.

If it was me I'd seriously consider washing all the old fluid film off after winter is over and putting a fresh coat down, that way the salty mess isn't sitting on the parts until fall.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
If it was me I'd seriously consider washing all the old fluid film off after winter is over and putting a fresh coat down, that way the salty mess isn't sitting on the parts until fall.
If it washes off that easily, what's the use of having it done? I was under the impression that this stuff would set up and dry after a while (not hard but tacky I guess). Are you suggesting that I can't even go through a car wash that does the under body wash? Doesn't make any sense to me but I have no experience with the stuff. As usual, I hear stuff like this after I pay for it.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:05 PM
SNOWMAN34
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot pressure wash is how you clean it off.
I have only washed the underside of my truck a day or two before application.
It doesn't come off "easily"
I put it on heavy, so it usually takes a day or two for it to dry.
Once it drys, you don't even know its there.
Also I do wash my truck fairly regular in the winter months and the Fluid Film still lasts through the season.
Don't be scared. The stuff is GREAT!!!

Old 09-27-2017, 04:59 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Snow man is right, a hot pressure wash is the only way to really get all the fluid film off. A heavy dose of cold water will wash the heavy outer layer off, but there will still be a thin "invisible" layer that is bonded to the metal.

I really don't think Fluid Film ever dries though, at least it's advertised as always staying wet. I spray it on thick and from what I've noticed is that it's always wet to the touch until you get a layer of dirt on it, then it will be dry to the touch but wet underneath. Once you get it dusted over good it stays in place really good.

What I do is wash/reapply in the fall before it gets cold and then I don't touch the underside again with pressured water until the next spring when I repeat the wash/reapply cycle. I might hit the underside with low pressure(garden hose) to get heavy snow/salt residue off, but that's it.

Fluid Film works great but it's still a temporary solution and needs to be reapplied(how much depends on driving conditions)to keep the parts protected. I'd be wary of the stuff that dries because then if you get cracks in the protectant that would allow moisture and salt to get underneath, this is why I'm not a fan of the wax coatings that GM uses or the spray on undercoating that dries hard.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:36 PM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
Snow man is right, a hot pressure wash is the only way to really get all the fluid film off. A heavy dose of cold water will wash the heavy outer layer off, but there will still be a thin "invisible" layer that is bonded to the metal.

I really don't think Fluid Film ever dries though, at least it's advertised as always staying wet. I spray it on thick and from what I've noticed is that it's always wet to the touch until you get a layer of dirt on it, then it will be dry to the touch but wet underneath. Once you get it dusted over good it stays in place really good.

What I do is wash/reapply in the fall before it gets cold and then I don't touch the underside again with pressured water until the next spring when I repeat the wash/reapply cycle. I might hit the underside with low pressure(garden hose) to get heavy snow/salt residue off, but that's it.

Fluid Film works great but it's still a temporary solution and needs to be reapplied(how much depends on driving conditions)to keep the parts protected. I'd be wary of the stuff that dries because then if you get cracks in the protectant that would allow moisture and salt to get underneath, this is why I'm not a fan of the wax coatings that GM uses or the spray on undercoating that dries hard.
I just wondered if I could still go through the car wash that has the under carriage wash. It sounds as though I wouldn't have much of a problem and that wash really helps in getting the road salt off. I'll just pull through faster than normal and it should be fine. Now to find a dusty road.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with Fluid Film?