1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 F100 Barn Find-Road Trip-Rebuild!! (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:35 AM
ingo
More Turbo
Received 159 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by GJPilcher
Thank you so much Greg! I really appreciate that.

Today, I finished the drivers side front cab corner. Well, when I say finished, I mean the metal work part of it. This morning it started off looking like this...

Yeah, kinda grim huh? I'm really not sure if I do things the "correct" way or not but a few hours work...

I made a new front for this little "hatch" in the front corner, which I do not know what it is for yet. But I made one anyway.

A good few hours work today. It rained a lot but I shut the door and got on with it.

I was happy with todays work. Hello!!!!!

Thanks for looking guys! Gary.

....just stumbled over your thread.
You need to drill a hole for the fenderbolt in your new patch, to get access to this bolt you need this "door" / front cover, you made.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ingo for your input. Since reading this I drew a dot on that location to remind me to drill it! Thanks again!!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
That "hatch" that you made is what I have been trying to figure out what it was! My truck came as a basket case like yours, and there were those 2 triangles in the pile. Now I know what they're for. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
That "hatch" that you made is what I have been trying to figure out what it was! My truck came as a basket case like yours, and there were those 2 triangles in the pile. Now I know what they're for. Thanks!
Nice!! Glad it helped you ID a part!! I'll tag along on your build with interest :-)

Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Tonight I did some more sound deadening, in the peace and quiet of my family-less shop. Bliss after a hard day at work.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 AM
jcslocum
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is looking great!!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by jcslocum
This is looking great!!
Thanks loads!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by GJPilcher
Tonight I did some more sound deadening, in the peace and quiet of my family-less shop. Bliss after a hard day at work.

Looks good. What sound deadener did you use?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User

$17 at Lowes for a 6" x 25ft roll. There's much argument regarding this product in comparison to Dynamat and the like. Personally, I cannot afford Dynamat so I look for the next best thing within my budget. This is it. Does it smell? Nope. Should you stick it right by a direct heat source or the roof? Nope. Does it work? Yes. How do I know? I've used it on four classic VW projects, it definitely works - if you are expecting it to magically make your truck sound like a Prius then you will be disappointed, but it cuts tinny vibrations down considerably, particularly when used with carpet underlay, to which Super 300 spray adhesive sticks wonders. How many rolls to do a 56 cab? 3 with a little left over.

I know it'll probably cause some angst, but this is what I use and it's great. EDIT: I forgot to mention I use Aluminum Foil tape to seal the edges.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:36 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Would you put it inside your doors?

What are you going to use on your roof?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:57 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Would you put it inside your doors?

What are you going to use on your roof?
Yes I will put some in the doors for sure, sorry I should have mentioned that.

As for the roof, high temp spray adhesive and 1/2" foam to start, then probably some fabric. I've done this in my Volkswagens, I'll see if I can get a picture of that for you.

EDIT: Found two pics. This was with hi temp adhesive, 1/2" foam and some fabric all from Wal Mart! I was about $20 all in on this headliner. It was rigorously tested too every day I parked my bug at work and the Utah summer baked it to death. It did not lift or release. Much recommended as a cheap alternative to expensive headliners.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Ok, back to the truck...

I had no energy this evening, but I had to do something, so I had a good tidy-up, and have the cab ready to put up on the frame at the weekend - this is for space reasons. Also, here in Utah, any day now it'll snow like a scene from A Christmas Carol, and I want the truck bed inside.

Still, looking slightly more like a truck this evening, as I had to do a quick mock-up!

Old 10-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for that idea on the roof Gary. I'm going to use that! The cost of shipping an ABS one would be prohibitive.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justboy
Thanks for that idea on the roof Gary. I'm going to use that! The cost of shipping an ABS one would be prohibitive.
Glad I could pass on the idea! Hey definitely make sure you get the really sticky spray adhesive. 3M Super 77 was NOT enough, it lifted so I went with Bostick Heavy Duty 300. 3M Super 90 should be fine in your part of the world. Spray both surfaces, wait a minute to tack up, then in you go. It gets a little sticky with overspray so work clean, wear latex gloves as dirt just from your hands can pass into oversprayed adhesive then you have a dirty spot that you will never get clean. Good luck and show us some pictures brother!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
It has helped me in the past to have small goals, and although I've only placed the cab up on the frame for space purposes, it feels good to bring the bed inside and have all my parts out of the impending snow.

Quick Reply: '56 F100 Barn Find-Road Trip-Rebuild!! (PICS)