Help! towing sway on my 2000 4x4 Excursion after tire change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Dennis Galante
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! towing sway on my 2000 4x4 Excursion after tire change

As the title states, I need help with the sway will towing. With advice from a friend it was time for new tires. The original factory Firestone bias ply were replaced with Michelin LT 265 load range E. Maybe coincidence, but the white knuckle drives with my 27 foot travel trailer have become intolerable. I have spent countless hours doing research, and when done with all the suggestions, I could spend enough to buy a new truck! So I went to my trailer shop and they recommended and stated that if you have radials on the truck you should have radials on the trailer. Ok, so I had them put on new tires. My Ex has only 60k miles with the original shocks. I had the steering box tightened...helped a little. My rig was profesionaly done with weight distribution bars. I am installing a friction sway bar on the traler this week. To cut to the chase. I want to replace all the shocks and better front steering stabilizers. when I tow it feels like the front tires just arent on the rod like they should be. My research and logic thinks the front shocks just arent pushing the tires to the pavement. My Ex already rides like crap...maybe worn out shocks.... so I have decided on Bilstein shocks, but what model? Do I want a heavier duty or off road shock? I am searching for opinion on a good riding shock as well as for towing performance! HELP! DESPERATE!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Ok... slow down. We can help you with this but hold on to the wallet for a bit.

Are you saying that you didn't have any sway prior to the Michelin tires? Your rig towed just fine on the old tires? Then that's where you need to focus your attention and I'd start with tire pressure. Air the rears up to 80 psi and the fronts 60 or 65. I bet all your sway goes away if you didn't have any before. Tires pressures are very important on the tow vehicle because it keeps the sidewall stiff and the rig doesn't wander as much.

Second... when you say the shop told you that the truck and trailer have to have the same kind of tires (which is BS, he was just trying to sell you a new set of tires), what tires were replaced? You didn't say.

Third... "Professionally done with weight distribution bars" doesn't mean diddly-squat. If you want it done right, do it yourself. If they didn't use a large commercial scale, they were just guessing at the number of links on the chain to use. There are a few threads in the towing forum that detail how to correctly set up a WDH. If your front axle doesn't feel firmly planted on the ground, it sounds like your WDH is set up incorrectly.

Fourth... Shocks don't push tires to the pavements. You are thinking of springs. The shock absorber's only function in life is to reduce the oscillation movement inherent in all springs. That being said, ditching the OEM shocks and going with Bilstein shocks are a great upgrade. I have them on my rig, however this leads to my next point...

Fifth... most folks that tow with an Excursion aren't very happy with the factory suspension. It's too soft and doesn't handle the weight of a heavy trailer very well. You didn't say how much your trailer weighs, but if yours is in the 7000+ up range, a spring swap will cure a lot of the wander that these things came with from the factory and has only worsened since. I also highly recommend an anti-sway bar on the rear. I went with an adjustable from Hellwig. The springs add a little bit of lift so if you order stock length shocks for the Excursion, you will end up replacing them if you do a spring swap.

Basically, if you want your Excursion to tow like a dream, set it up like mine. I have it dialed in pretty well at this point and I have virtually no sway. I recently drove from California to South Carolina, loaded down to a little over 19k. I had a little wind in Kansas that required me to keep both hands on the wheel, but other than that it was smooth sailing with no sway or trailer problems at all (unless you count a bent tongue jack at a gas station curb somewhere in Missouri).

Old 09-17-2017, 11:43 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Totally agree. Diagnose and go step-wise.

Steve

Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Not to say you are wrong, but I have never seen an excursion come from the factory with bias ply tires, although that doesn't matter in this case. andym is correct in his post, first check your tire pressure, I don't have an Excursion, I have an F350 dually crewcab long box but my best friend has one and while he can't tow the weight that I can after I set his up his tows very well with no sway. I like to run about 75 PSI in the front, with a diesel, gas can run 65 without a problem and 80 PSI in the rear. I also upgraded his rear springs to F350 specs by a spring shop, they put in just a little bit less arch than the pick ups run to avoid sitting too high in the rear unloaded, I then added the F350 factory over load springs and went with KYB shocks all around. The final adjustment was the WDH, he thought he had it right but a trip to the scale showed not enough weight transfer to the front end, he had an Equalizer brand with no chains so we raised the L brackets on the tongue 1 set of bolt holes and it now tows as it should. He did have a tendency to load too much behind the axles, the scale showed only 51% of his weight on the front end but after the heavier rear springs and some education how to load he now has zero sway.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:12 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Theres great advice already but this is most important.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Dennis Galante
New User
Originally Posted by andym

Are you saying that you didn't have any sway prior to the Michelin tires? Your rig towed just fine on the old tires? Then that's where you need to focus your attention and I'd start with tire pressure. Air the rears up to 80 psi and the fronts 60 or 65.******(I have the fronts at 65, but only 75 in the rears I will try 80).**** I bet all your sway goes away if you didn't have any before. Tires pressures are very important on the tow vehicle because it keeps the sidewall stiff and the rig doesn't wander as much.

Second... when you say the shop told you that the truck and trailer have to have the same kind of tires (which is BS, he was just trying to sell you a new set of tires), what tires were replaced? You didn't say.***(Bias ply Load Star
, but not sure of the size. The new tires are Load Star ST 205/75 R15 101/97M Radial****

Third... "Professionally done with weight distribution bars" doesn't mean diddly-squat. If you want it done right, do it yourself. If they didn't use a large commercial scale, they were just guessing at the number of links on the chain to use.***(It was fine prior. The tounge weight was weighed in at about 500lbs****) There are a few threads in the towing forum that detail how to correctly set up a WDH.****(Sorry what is "WHD")***** If your front axle doesn't feel firmly planted on the ground, it sounds like your WDH is set up incorrectly.

Fourth... Shocks don't push tires to the pavements. You are thinking of springs. The shock absorber's only function in life is to reduce the oscillation movement inherent in all springs. That being said, ditching the OEM shocks and going with Bilstein shocks are a great upgrade. I have them on my rig,**** (Can you give me the model of your shocks?)*** however this leads to my next point...

Fifth... most folks that tow with an Excursion aren't very happy with the factory suspension. It's too soft and doesn't handle the weight of a heavy trailer very well. You didn't say how much your trailer weighs, but if yours is in the 7000+ up range, a spring swap will cure a lot of the wander that these things came with from the factory and has only worsened since.****(my trailer is 6800 lbs dry weight, with another 1000lbs of stuff/beer)**** I also highly recommend an anti-sway bar on the rear. I went with an adjustable from Hellwig.****(30, 32, or 36mm?)***** This adds a little bit of lift so if you order stock length shocks for the Excursion, you will end up replacing them if you do a spring swap.

Basically, if you want your Excursion to tow like a dream, set it up like mine. I have it dialed in pretty well at this point and I have virtually no sway. I recently drove from California to South Carolina, loaded down to a little over 19k. I had a little wind in Kansas that required me to keep both hands on the wheel, but other than that it was smooth sailing with no sway or trailer problems at all (unless you count a bent tongue jack at a gas station curb somewhere in Missouri).
......Thanks so much! Im not much of a mechanic and need to find a shop in my area that can do the work. I went to a Mechanic shop which checked out the front end and replaced ball joints and one fornt ?tie rod. They maintain my truck and are very good and know for suspension work. So far they have not diagnosed my problem other than the steering box. So what kind of shop do I go too? I only have two weeks to get this done as I leave for the PA mountainsSorry for the asterisks, but my PC wouldnt let me color or italicize.Thanks again. PS I am in Toms River NJ.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:07 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dennis Galante
******(I have the fronts at 65, but only 75 in the rears I will try 80).****
Well... 75 should be plenty so your problems may lie elsewhere.

***(Bias ply Load Star
, but not sure of the size. The new tires are Load Star ST 205/75 R15 101/97M Radial****
Ok. I was actually asking if you had replaced the trailer tires or the truck tires, but I can tell from the size that you're talking about the trailer. Most of us have discovered that trailer tires these days are all made in China and the quality varies greatly. I run 10-ply tires on mine. The 6-ply tires it came with were just not tough enough.

***(It was fine prior. The tounge weight was weighed in at about 500lbs****) There are a few threads in the towing forum that detail how to correctly set up a WDH.****(Sorry what is "WHD")*****
WDH = weight distribution hitch.

If your tongue weight is only 500 lbs, and your trailer's dry weight is 6800, your tongue weight is WAY too low. It should be ideally around 12-14% of the total trailer weight. Watch what happens in this video when weight is transferred off the tongue and to the rear of the trailer:

Is this what's happening to you?

**** (Can you give me the model of your shocks?)***
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

****(my trailer is 6800 lbs dry weight, with another 1000lbs of stuff/beer)****
Are you just guessing, or did you weigh your trailer? If you are going off the manufacturer's dry weight, add at least 500-800 lbs to it. They weigh them without any appliances or furnishings. It's ridiculously deceptive but all RV manufacturers do it.

****(30, 32, or 36mm?)*****
This one:
Amazon Amazon

......Thanks so much! Im not much of a mechanic and need to find a shop in my area that can do the work. I went to a Mechanic shop which checked out the front end and replaced ball joints and one fornt ?tie rod. They maintain my truck and are very good and know for suspension work. So far they have not diagnosed my problem other than the steering box. So what kind of shop do I go too? I only have two weeks to get this done as I leave for the PA mountainsSorry for the asterisks, but my PC wouldnt let me color or italicize.Thanks again. PS I am in Toms River NJ.
Only two weeks to get this done? Wow. I've done all the work to mine in stages and I started in 2015. If you only have two weeks, I'd say your top priority is getting the rig weighed and get the hitch set up correctly. No matter what else you do, it won't tow right without that as a foundation.

Load up your camper as you would to go on a trip, including beer (simulated if necessary, plus full water tanks, propane, etc.) Find a Cat scale or other commercial scale that can give you separate weights for the steer, drive, and trailer axles. You can do it at a scale that only has one weight, but I'm not 100% sure of the method. You'll want to take three weights: one with the whole truck and trailer with the WDH hooked up. Disconnect the WDH and weigh it again. Then disconnect the trailer and weigh just the truck. This should only cost about $15 or so. Don't let the people at the counter tell you that it won't work because you don't have a big rig. Their scales will weigh a Volkswagen accurately.

Once you get all the weights, you will be able to see the actual trailer weight, the actual tongue weight, and how much of the tongue weight you're transferring back to the front axle. My guess is that you'll find you need to tweak the WDH to get everything where it should be.

Tongue weight should be between 10% and 15%. The WDH should restore between 50% and 100% of the weight back to the front axle but no more.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM
andym
Post Fiend
You are probably going to find that when you are all loaded and hitched up properly, that the factory suspension is very close the bump stops. As I said, the Excursion came with a softer suspension than the trucks did in the name of passenger comfort. They also tend to sag after carrying around an 8000 lb truck for 15+ years so most of them sit even lower now than they did when new. This is why many people have ditched the factory springs and either gone with new springs from ATS or found a set of F250/F350 take-offs on craigslist.

Also, your bumpstops are an integral part of the suspension. Take a look at them closely - if they are cracked, dry rotted, falling apart, or missing, replace them. I have all new ones on my truck and they all have contact marks on them even with the heavier springs.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

The list of stuff I have done to my truck since I bought it in 2014 is very long. MUCH longer than I ever imagined it would be. These are very capable tow rigs in stock form, but they are so much better with the right modifications.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,663 Likes on 2,737 Posts
when I tow it feels like the front tires just arent on the rod like they should be.
In my experience, if the front end feels odd it can be a symptom that the WDH isn't transferring enough weight to the front. I've been dialing in my new hitch over the past 3 months. I found that the trailer sway was handled well from the start but that anyone passing me (going the same way) caused the truck to sway. Once I put more force on the WDH the truck sway went away.

I do not have a separate trailer sway adapter. My WDH simply doesn't need it as sway control is built in.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Good advice here.

Are you saying that the ONLY change you made was putting new tires on your EX, and then you had trailer sway that made the rig undriveable? Or did they do other work at the same time, or between your towing trips?

The only thing I would add is, are you absolutely SURE the tire shop put load rand E tires on your Ex? Is this the same shop that told you you had to have "matching" radials on your trailer (utter BS)?

If it's the same shop, I would get down and visually check the sidewalls of all 4 of your Ex tires to make sure they really did put load range E tires on it.

If the tires are load range E, and NO OTHER changes were made to your rig, then your Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) is not set up properly.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Good advice here.

Are you saying that the ONLY change you made was putting new tires on your EX, and then you had trailer sway that made the rig undriveable? Or did they do other work at the same time, or between your towing trips?

I'm zeroing in on what Slowpoke Slim says here. I recently had an experience with brand new load range E tires on the back of my 3/4 ton pickup. I don't know if it was the tread pattern or the rubber formula but those tires "walked" side to side unpredictably. Without mentioning the brand, I'll just say they were aggressive mud tires. I've always had mud tires on the back of pickups...for nearly 30 years and never experienced walking. The tires got better after 5000 miles but were never normal so I got rid of them. It was annoying when driving empty but down right scary with the 5th wheel hitched doing freeway speeds. No fun having the back of your truck move side to side like driving on jello.

Point is, if all you changed was the tires then it may be something peculiar about your tires. I can see them have this "walking" affect on a truck or trailer. BTW, I did vary the tire pressure within reason considering the load but that had no effect.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Dennis Galante
New User
Originally Posted by '65Ford
I'm zeroing in on what Slowpoke Slim says here. I recently had an experience with brand new load range E tires on the back of my 3/4 ton pickup. I don't know if it was the tread pattern or the rubber formula but those tires "walked" side to side unpredictably. Without mentioning the brand, I'll just say they were aggressive mud tires. I've always had mud tires on the back of pickups...for nearly 30 years and never experienced walking. The tires got better after 5000 miles but were never normal so I got rid of them. It was annoying when driving empty but down right scary with the 5th wheel hitched doing freeway speeds. No fun having the back of your truck move side to side like driving on jello.

Point is, if all you changed was the tires then it may be something peculiar about your tires. I can see them have this "walking" affect on a truck or trailer. BTW, I did vary the tire pressure within reason considering the load but that had no effect.
The new Mich rad tires on my EX are 1 1/2 years old with about 6000 miles on them. The trailer tires, just put on, are from a different trailer shop. As said, my trailer tounge weight is only 550 lbs. As suggested in weighing my trailer, then truck, and then both together, and until if and when, I am guessing at 6800 lbs dry with the trailer with another 500 to 1000lbs addded. With the 12 to 14% recommended tounge weight would bring me to app 800-1100 lbs. Too light. Just a thought: both my 30lb propane bottles are empty now and I will fill them adding another 80 plus pounds. I also plan on putting more stuff forward of the axle increasing even more tounge weight. if my tounge weight is light and being the WDH was set up with different tires should I try and change what link I am set at on the bars? In the next several days I will be working on my EX suspension. My shop is installing a Helwig rear sway bar, Rancho front steering stabilizer, Rancho 7000 front shocks, 9000 adjustables in the rear with new bottom stops. A friction sway bar was just installed on the TT. Rear tire pressure will be increased to 80lb rear with 65lb in the fronts. I think this is a good start, thanks to all of you "Ford truck enthusiasts" and your comments recommendations! Once the work is done, I will experiment with the WDH settings. This along with moving gear forward and adding weight with the full propane bottles will help....I can only hope! Thanks all again!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,663 Likes on 2,737 Posts
Tongue weight it critical to avoiding sway. It sounds like you don't have enough tongue weight. Changing the links on the WDH might help a small amount, but I would put that down as a long shot, more of a tiny band-aid on a gaping wound.

I wouldn't be making suspension changes unless you didn't like the ride quality in the first place. The one exception to that is the sway bar. I have had one on my past truck and now my F-350. I wouldn't drive on the highways without one.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Wow you sure are spending a lot of money when you still aren't sure what your problem is. I hope you get the desired results!

As for what link on the chain for the wdh, that's really impossible to say without knowing the axle weights from a cat scale, and it will require some trial and error. If it was me, I'd start off having the chains fairly loose to start and see how it pulls. You are already light in the tongue, no sense making that worse with the wdh.....

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Wow you sure are spending a lot of money when you still aren't sure what your problem is. I hope you get the desired results!

As for what link on the chain for the wdh, that's really impossible to say without knowing the axle weights from a cat scale, and it will require some trial and error. If it was me, I'd start off having the chains fairly loose to start and see how it pulls. You are already light in the tongue, no sense making that worse with the wdh.....
2X on this. Have you taken it out for a spin now that you have a friction antisway on the hitch? If not, I'd check your axle weights (adjust as needed) and take it for a spin...adjust the friction antisway a time or two and see if it's better.

Quick Reply: Help! towing sway on my 2000 4x4 Excursion after tire change