F100 over in Ireland - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F100 over in Ireland

Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 PM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.
F100 over in Ireland

Hi all,

I have an f100 long bed (I think) 1955.

I have been upgrading it bit by bit since I imported it over a year ago.Im started on the bed now and need some advise from the experts on here as no one in Ireland has seen one of these and parts can't be got.

Hope I can ask some specific aQs and he won't mind, can I start with bed wood.it appears to buy bed ships only 61/2" or 8" are available and I measured mine and I need 82" strips,I have made up the boards already but confused by bed length ???

Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.
For ref

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YMvPE8][img]https://farm5.staticflickr

Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 PM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
Btw I've tried searches but no specific answers ")

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome to FTE the best Ford truck forum on the world wide web.

For help for posting pictures, look at the top of the main page for a thread on posting pics.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:58 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I see your pic now. You have an F250 which has a longer bed, which is 8 feet.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:10 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zagamuffin View Post
Hi all,

I have an f100 long bed (I think) 1955.

I have been upgrading it bit by bit since I imported it over a year ago.Im started on the bed now and need some advise from the experts on here as no one in Ireland has seen one of these and parts can't be got.

Hope I can ask some specific aQs and he won't mind, can I start with bed wood.it appears to buy bed ships only 61/2" or 8" are available and I measured mine and I need 82" strips,I have made up the boards already but confused by bed length ???
The standard size beds are 6 1/2 feet (78") and 8 feet (96"). One of the catalogs I have list the boards for the short bed at 78 1/16th inches. Not sure the exact length for the boards on a long beds but they would have to be close to 96 inches. Seems like your must be a custom job.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Bed looks like it was shortened..

Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
Bed looks like it was shortened..
Yes, for sure, panel Ford, you are right I see it now. Look how close the back of the rear fender is to the end of the bed.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
The center pocket should be the center point I believe, should be easy to tell how much it was shortened..

Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Here's a 55 F-250 with 8 ft bed (near as I can tell). Didn't F-250's have 6-lug wheels?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:50 AM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
Tips for the replays lads,

Great to have a knowlegable bunch of lads available to help,so mine is a custom job,**** it.so I have to go custom boards so and s/s strips.i have the boards done already at 82" so maybe get s/s flat bar with bolts welded to underside as if I'm going custom...lol

Strange why they didn't go short bed 61/2" while they were at it,not to far off.

When researching mine it appears they did an f100 badged long bed (8') in 55 with 5 stud axles which mine has ...

Must figure out how to attach boards then as it had a marine ply floor attached through side flanges bolts

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM
ct50f1
Elder User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
It would probably be expensive, especially the shipping, but Mar-K might be able to make customs bed strips for you.

Custom Parts - Mar-K Manufacturing

Old 09-17-2017, 11:56 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
There are other issues to be considered with that bed...it is wider than the short bed. This means that the tailgate is wider. You also have 2-1/2 inch tubs in the bed sides which compensate for the wider bed on a chassis with the same track width as the short bed. The wider bed also means that the bed floor wood is wider...not sure off hand how Ford accomplished the addition of this width but be aware that it is wider. As an added piece of trivia, Ford screwed up when they added the tubs to the bed walls...the tubs are NOT centered over the axle. When I was building the bed for my 56 SWB, I used the tubs from a 55 F250, here is a pic of what they looked like when installed. Yes, I did center them on my bed...

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:34 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
By far the most common is the stock look with the wood and SS strips. They always look great. But since your truck is not stock you might want to consideer other alternative looks and materials. I would suggest that you do a search of this forum and look at the many pictures posted by various members.

Here is mine. Since my F2 frame was reduced by 10" by a PO I decided to go with polished Aluminum Diamond plate. At first I used marine grade plywood on the base but was dismayed after a year at how much water got under the diamond plate to the point of even degrading marine plywood from the top and the bottom. So I switched to Trex decking and that has been great. No more worries about deterioration and any water that does get in drains between the Trex boards.

I moved my gas tank location to the rear and a simple SS hinge provides fill access.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:34 PM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
Still with timber lads but need to add metal where worms have removed some metal on side seams at floor,what Gayle metal are sides so I can get some to add in....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F100 over in Ireland

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.