C6 Direct Clutch Clearance Spec??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:12 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C6 Direct Clutch Clearance Spec??

Following the Bad Shoe Productions DVD, he calls for between 20 and 40 thousandths gap on the direct clutch disk installation between the snap ring and the pressure plate steel. However, I think he said he was doing a 3 disk pack. Mine is a 4 disk pack and I get about 55 thousandths in gap.

Am I good to go with the that or is there a problem?? I have all new fibers and steels except for the pressure plate steel.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:54 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's been years, but when I rebuilt a C6 behind a 1970 460, I had to go to a Ford dealer and order up a selective snap ring to get the correct clearance on one of the clutches. I was using a Bad Shoe VCR tape back then plus shop manual. I don't remember which clutch it was. I would stay within the recommended clearance.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:47 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Ok, so stepped back from the table for a review of the clutch assemblies. Documenting what I have found.

I started with the Reverse/Low Clutch. It is assembled correctly, has 5 fibers and steels. The snap ring is 0.074. The Bad Shoe video says there is no spec for this clutch assembly clearance. I noticed that the drum for this clutch moves forward and back a bit so guessing that is why there is not spec on it. I did replace the race with the new "special upgrade" shorter height race (my old one is 1.042 and the new one is 1.014) and the newer thicker Torrington Bearing. The snap ring went on fine.

Next, I pulled apart the forward clutch. It has 4 fibers and steels. It was assembled correctly. The snap ring is 0.074 and I have a clearance between the pressure plate and snap ring of 0.052 when reassembled. Spec is 0.030 and 0.050. Going to an 0.083 snap ring would bring it down to 0.041 so right at nominal. However, Bad Shoe says it should be 0.074 so wondering if I should do this change?

Finally, I pulled apart the Reverse/High clutch (I have been calling it the Direct Clutch so hopefully I have the terminologies correct now). It has 4 fibers and 4 steels. The snap ring is 0.065 and I have a clearance between the pressure plate and snap ring of 0.056 when reassembled. Spec is 0.020 to 0.040. If I change this snap ring to 0.074, it would bring it down to 0.047 and still not in spec. If I change this snap ring to 0.083, it would bring it down to 0.032 and almost right at nominal.

So, now to a question on measuring the clearance. I am using angled feeler gauges like the DVD. I notice he only checks one spot and doesn't push (or somewhat lightly force) them under the snap ring. I noticed that if I simply slide them under lightly, I get one measurement but if I push them a little firmer, the snap ring tends to rise or twist a little giving me a different measurement. I also noticed that checking multiple locations, I get slightly different measurements. What is the best way to check it for the correct measurement against spec.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can work on it again. So, going to pick up a couple of 0.074 and 0.083 snap rings to see if I can get them into spec. There is not enough room for an additional steel or fiber as those measure 0.079 and I am no more than 0.020 our of spec.

Since I really need to get this assembled the next time I work on it, I am also going to pick up a selection of thrust washers (these are the plastic ones) to replace thrust washers #1 and #4. Neither of those came in the rebuild kit.

That's where I am at now. Thanks....

Old 09-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help you here. I didn't get that technical with my rebuild. I took the current parts, replaced it with new steels/clutches/seals, and put it back together. Now nothing was too tight or too loose so I figured it was OK. The vehicle ran fine... No burning of clutches (too much gap), and no clutch engagement out of gear (too little gap).

Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
This is my first automatic transmission rebuild so trying to make sure I do it by the book. Of course, "the book" leaves a lot of things out and sometimes to the imagination. Anyway, I don't want to have to take it back out of the truck so trying to make sure I set it up to spec.

Trying to find where to buy selective snap rings and pump thrust washers but haven't found a place yet. Not having any luck with the Ford dealer for anything.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a transmission parts supply shop here in my city. They supply parts to the transmission repair shops around town. There might be something similar near to you also.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Thanks. I found Cobra Transmission parts online and they have the selective snap rings and the selective pump thrust washers. Got them on order so will be back to finishing the transmission assembly weekend after this coming weekend.