Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 7.3 won't idle after cups and injector change

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM
philn
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IPR changed. Truck started after a few seconds of fast cranking which sped up until it finally idled. Everything looked normal on the scope. Injector pressure and duty cycle were normal. Truck idled smoothly but still had the stumble as I ramped up the RPM to 2000. After a few minutes, it seemed to lose the stumble and ran smoothly. I did some fast throttle bursts up to 2000RPM then let off to see if it would idle. No issues while it was still cool. After it warmed to around 125F oil temp, I gave it some throttle and let it return to idle. Died. Cranked and had the same exact results prior to changing the IPR. ICP was 240ish and duty cycle climbed to 99%. No start. Unplugged the ICP sensor pigtail and tried again. This time, ICP hit 2169 with a duty cycle of 31% but still no start. What in the world is going on here? Buzzed all injectors again with good results. I'm at a loss here.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Sorry to read the results, my gut feeling was not right this time.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
philn
Tuned
Unless someone here has any other ideas, I'll be pulling valve covers on Monday. Makes no sense to me how it can build 2000psi in the oil rail and not start. I'll bet money that it will start again when cold.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Any chance your oil is contaminated with debris or coolant? Making the IPR fail again?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't know enough about the IDM to say, but I think I remember reading about a bad IDM causing no start when hot...?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM
philn
Tuned
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Any chance your oil is contaminated with debris or coolant? Making the IPR fail again?
Changes the oil and filter so I can't see how it could be oil related.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by philn
Wow, that's pretty good service from those trucks! I've known 2 others that had the same issue right at 240k. I was told by a diesel mechanic that the 7.3's had that issue pretty much at 240k. I'd say you had exceptional service out of those trucks. Mine was a service truck in Dallas area with hot as hell Summers so I'm pretty happy with my 240k and no major issues!
I live between Dallas and Hillsboro. Your truck hasn't seen any heat that mine hasn't seen, with less than half the miles on it.

Unless someone here has any other ideas, I'll be pulling valve covers on Monday. ...
Good idea.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM
philn
Tuned
Originally Posted by F350-6
I live between Dallas and Hillsboro. Your truck hasn't seen any heat that mine hasn't seen, with less than half the miles on it.

Good idea.
I'm curious about your driving. Long haul highway miles or lots of city driving? I know several co-workers who drive Powerstrokes and can't recall any that have gotten that many miles without cup and injector work. Whatever you are doing, must be working pretty dang well.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm curious about your driving. Long haul highway miles or lots of city driving? I know several co-workers who drive Powerstrokes and can't recall any that have gotten that many miles without cup and injector work. Whatever you are doing, must be working pretty dang well.
Both city and highway. I've heard 250k or so was the limit on the injectors also. I think that's mostly a holdover from years and years ago. All except one of the properly maintained super duty's I've been around have had their injectors and cups last longer than 250k. The one that we changed the injectors and found a cup leak along the way was bought used so we don't know what happened before.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPR changed. Truck started after a few seconds of fast cranking which sped up until it finally idled. Everything looked normal on the scope. Injector pressure and duty cycle were normal. Truck idled smoothly but still had the stumble as I ramped up the RPM to 2000. After a few minutes, it seemed to lose the stumble and ran smoothly. I did some fast throttle bursts up to 2000RPM then let off to see if it would idle. No issues while it was still cool. After it warmed to around 125F oil temp, I gave it some throttle and let it return to idle. Died. Cranked and had the same exact results prior to changing the IPR. ICP was 240ish and duty cycle climbed to 99%. No start. Unplugged the ICP sensor pigtail and tried again. This time, ICP hit 2169 with a duty cycle of 31% but still no start. What in the world is going on here? Buzzed all injectors again with good results. I'm at a loss here.
That's what I thought was going to be your results. You have a o-ring or injector issue. I know you installed different injectors but I still wouldn't rule them out. Before you pull both valve covers do the shop air test we have been trying to get you to do that will tell you what side your issue is on. You may need to get things warm before pressuring up with air.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Unless someone here has any other ideas, I'll be pulling valve covers on Monday. Makes no sense to me how it can build 2000psi in the oil rail and not start. I'll bet money that it will start again when cold.
when did you see 2000 psi and have a no start? When the ICP was unplugged? Your PCM defaults to that number when the sensor is unplugged. You actually only had the 250PSI and that is why it wouldn't run.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM
philn
Tuned
Originally Posted by Chevota_72
when did you see 2000 psi and have a no start? When the ICP was unplugged? Your PCM defaults to that number when the sensor is unplugged. You actually only had the 250PSI and that is why it wouldn't run.
Yes, I unplugged the ICP pigtail just for grins then cranked. I thought there might be a sensor located in the system that actually read the pressure but I see what you're saying. I'm worn out with this truck. Sadly, I'm doing all of this just to sell it. Nobody would want it in the state that it was in puking diesel into the coolant. Might have been better off to just sell as is. I just hate seeing a good truck go to waste. Hell, I may keep it at this point if I ever get the issue solved. It's a utility body crew cab and sure comes in handy. Thanks for the advice. Come Monday, it's time to open it up.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Yes, I unplugged the ICP pigtail just for grins then cranked. I thought there might be a sensor located in the system that actually read the pressure but I see what you're saying. I'm worn out with this truck. Sadly, I'm doing all of this just to sell it. Nobody would want it in the state that it was in puking diesel into the coolant. Might have been better off to just sell as is. I just hate seeing a good truck go to waste. Hell, I may keep it at this point if I ever get the issue solved. It's a utility body crew cab and sure comes in handy. Thanks for the advice. Come Monday, it's time to open it up.
Yeah the sensor you unplugged is what reads the actual pressure in the rails and reports to the PCM which then commands the IPR to open or close more. If the ICP sensor goes bad you can make it home by unplugging the ICP sensor.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:11 AM
philn
Tuned
Originally Posted by Chevota_72
Yeah the sensor you unplugged is what reads the actual pressure in the rails and reports to the PCM which then commands the IPR to open or close more. If the ICP sensor goes bad you can make it home by unplugging the ICP sensor.
Is there any way that I can monitor each cylinder via AE scan tool to see which one is not opening? I can't help but feel that it's one injector that's goobered up. I'd try the air test but I don't hear very well anymore and might not catch it.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM
philn
Tuned
Finally found a shop guide to diagnose a no start or hard start condition. It's long but pretty comprehensive. Does require special plugs to block off one side of the engine at a time.

Here's a link to the PDF:

http://www.shopinjectors.com/diesel/...nosis-info.pdf

Quick Reply: 2002 7.3 won't idle after cups and injector change