1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85/86 f150 evp solonoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:41 PM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85/86 f150 evp solonoid

Today while changing the oil in my truck I noticed a vacuum leak that I could hear . It was the evp, the plastic on the bottom of both of them were the vacuum lines attach had crumbled . I had been looking for a vacuum leak for a while so at least I found it ...

Any idea of were to find a replacement set ? I have not been able to . Could something fro ma newer truck be made to work ? Is there a way I can temporarily disable the egr ? i need to be able to drive my truck it is my only vehicle and I have a hunting trip in the morning .

Old 09-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You can disconnect the egr on the EFI engines. It will throw a error code, and it will reduce the timing a little bit in the computer program, but other than that it will run ok.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 PM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Do I disconnect the sensor on the egr itself and just plug the vacuum lines from the evp ? I hope I can find a evp replacement . We have a pull a part type junk yard locally that is mostly light trucks so I may be able to find one there .

Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Franklin2
Just plug the lines so you do not have a vacuum leak. You can leave the sensor connected. The computer will try to open the solenoid which is supposed to apply vacuum to the valve, and then it looks at the sensor to see if it moved, It will try this a couple of times and when it sees it doesn't move, it will throw a egr code.

Obviously since you have had this problem for awhile, you have been getting codes the whole time, it hasn't been working with the valve being bad. A code like this usually doesn't light up the check engine light, at least on the very early trucks. I haven't been running the egr for years on my ranger and it does throw a code 31 but it never lights the check engine light.

After you plug the vacuum leaks, you may notice it affects the idle and it may stall on you a few times. If you have ever monkeyed with the idle screw, you may need to re-adjust it. Regardless, you will probably need to let the computer relearn it's idle strategy a little bit, it was running with that false air entering the vacuum leak, and now that you got rid of that, it needs to readjust itself to control the idle.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:25 PM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Thank you, that is what I did and I was able to drive it . I am going to order an "egr eliminator" to hold me over while I look for an EVP . Hopefully that truck junkyard will have something . I can't find the part number on the evp , any one happen to know it ?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Franklin2
This places carries some, I didn't look your model up.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...noid/ford.html

You may have to change your terminology around a little bit and experiment with calling it different things. You will notice they call it a EGR Vacuum Solenoid in the above link. The Ford fuel injection book I have officially calls it a EVR valve for "EGR Vacuum Regulator" valve. You then have the EVP which is the "EGR Valve Position" sensor which mounts on top of the EGR valve and tells the computer the position of the EGR valve.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 PM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Thanks, I'll search around using different terms . It looks like I was calling it the wrong thing . I have found the borg warner part number for it but no were seems to have it .
Borg Warner EGR245 Egr Valve Vacuum Control Solenoid

Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Franklin2
That valve looks different than most that I have seen on the older efi trucks. It looks like a pair of solenoids. Do you know how it works?

The picture above is the one my Ranger has and the one the fuel injection book describes. It has a foam filter under that cap. When the valve is off the engine sucks through that foam filter, which is prone to clogging and needs to be cleaned once in awhile. When the computer wants the egr to open, it activates the valve and it redirects the vacuum from the foam filter to the vacuum line connection which leads to the egr valve. The solenoid modulates or "bounces" on and off to control the position of the egr valve.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Most of them that I have seen look similar to the one from your ranger . It looks like the 85 and 86 mfi used the double style as well as some other mid eighties ford cars that I don't think are mfi .

I am unsure of how it works . There are two of them as one unit . looking at them from the front of the truck the one on the left connects directly to the one on the right with a very short vacuum line directly under the pair of them . That goes into a three way T on the right one that then connects to a vacuum source and to the egr . The one on the left has an external replaceable air filter . They sit under the vacuum reservoir directly behind the battery to the left of the the tad and tab when looking at the truck from the front . Seems like a complicated way to do something simple .

Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would try to ID the valve to see if it is still available from FORD-

EGR Solenoid Vacuum Valve Asm - 9D474

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Franklin2
Thanks for that info. Interesting that my book doesn't show that type of solenoid system(or it's in there and I missed it). I see it mentioned the EECIII system also, so I am wondering if this is a very early way to control the EGR valve. Confusing when the OEM's develop and improve a system during production. They all did it.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:01 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Smile

Yeah, there was more than one style and a similar style for the THERMACTOR
SYSTEM.

That is why it is important to have the Component I.D. No. or the Engine Calibration Code to find the exact replacement.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 PM
MI Yeti
Junior User
Thank you for the information . I can't find a part number on the old part . my engine calibration code is

My truck had the engine replaced in 94' at a dealership if that matters any . It was a re manufactured engine . Most of the components are marked E5 and not E6 .

Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MI Yeti

Thank you for the information . I can't find a part number on the old part . my engine calibration code is

My truck had the engine replaced in 94' at a dealership if that matters any . It was a re manufactured engine . Most of the components are marked E5 and not E6.
With that calibration number, either ND or JEFF can get into the correct parts list and give you a Service Number. Make the search a lot easier.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You might be able to find one on e-bay, I bought a few over the years.

E5TZ-9D474-B 1985 FORD TRUCK EGR VACUUM SOLENOID E5TE-9D474-B3A NEW | eBay

Quick Reply: 85/86 f150 evp solonoid