Sponsored by:

Tips for a new diesel owner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
MarkInMd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for a new diesel owner?

This seems like something that should be "stickied" in this forum but I haven't located it despite my searching.
I will soon be taking delivery of my F-250 6.7. It will be my first diesel truck although I have owned a small diesel tractor for years. I'm looking for some "best practices" for operating this diesel. Do you recommend a fuel additive? If so, how often? I've used Sea Foam and Power Service in my tractor.
I saw some nasty pictures on this forum of some carbon buildup on the EGR grates. I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Are there any "common issues" with this engine?
What about the DEF? I've never used that. A quick search revealed only one filling station in the Baltimore area. So, I'm guessing I'll need to source the stuff somewhere else. Is there somewhere you guys recommend? What about brands of that stuff? Is it all the same? How often do you have to fill the DEF tank? I understand that there is no gauge for it.
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 PM
campguy
New User
Congratulations on the diesel. I'm on my third diesel and first Power Stroke. I cannot imagine going back to a gasser.

In terms of DEF, I typically use Blue DEF. Blue DEF is widely available and has proven reliable. I've heard that other brands of "off the shelf" DEF may not be of the same quality so I have avoided them. I've also heard that DEF sold at the pump at truck stops is reliable but I have not had an opportunity to try them yet.

I typically get several thousand miles between DEF fill-ups and simply fill up when my truck tells me to do so. My 2017 F350 has a gauge that help me get an idea for my DEF level at any given time. Keep in mind that the more you two the more DEF you will use.

Just my $.02!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM
MarkInMd
Freshman User
Do you use any fuel additives?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 PM
campguy
New User
I've never used a fuel additive.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
no fuel additives here. the 2011 F550 has 56,000 miles on it, the 2012 F550 has 47,000 miles on it, and the 2014 F350 has 94,000 miles on it.
we use blue sky DEF, buy it by the pallet in the twin 2.5 gallon jug boxes because we also have 3 big trucks that uses it.

biggest thing with these trucks is :
#1: clean fuel
#2: only use recommended by ford oil.
#3: if the information center tells you to do something, stop and do it.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM
MarkInMd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
no fuel additives here. the 2011 F550 has 56,000 miles on it, the 2012 F550 has 47,000 miles on it, and the 2014 F350 has 94,000 miles on it.
we use blue sky DEF, buy it by the pallet in the twin 2.5 gallon jug boxes because we also have 3 big trucks that uses it.

biggest thing with these trucks is :
#1: clean fuel
#2: only use recommended by ford oil.
#3: if the information center tells you to do something, stop and do it.
Thanks! Sounds like good advice. I've only once had a dirty fuel issue in my tractor, but how do you go about ensuring "clean fuel"?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
All you could ever want to know about the 6.7........and then some!!!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ch-folder.html

Above all.......figure out how to wipe the chitty grin off your face when you stand on the go pedal!!!!

And to minimize chances of contaminating fuel at the pump........
1. Leave phone in vehicle when fueling.....especially being "new" to diesels.
2. Tell buddies/wife/kids etc. to go to the store while you are fueling (no distractions)!!
3. No distractions while adding DEF
4. When fueling at pumps with both gas and diesel, be sure to push the "DIESEL" button, regardless of hose color!!
5. Tell wife/kids/buddies that only YOU will add fuel to your rig.
MOST of the posts about contaminated fuel come from either gasoline or DEF in the fuel tank. Which is a result of somebody having their head in a dark place!!!

Enjoy the new ride, and post pics when you get it!!!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
"clean fuel"
large volume diesel sellers. you know, the guys that sell 2000 gallons of diesel a day. . not from the corner gas station that only sells 100 gallons of diesel a week.

the corner station that does not sell a lot of diesel usually has contaminants in the tanks. large volume sellers have clean tanks

Old 09-19-2017, 05:17 AM
MarkInMd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 99150
All you could ever want to know about the 6.7........and then some!!!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ch-folder.html

Above all.......figure out how to wipe the chitty grin off your face when you stand on the go pedal!!!!
Great info here thanks! I will not be able to keep my wife from fueling the truck since she drives it more than I do to tow her horses - although it seems like it's empty every time I climb in it. :-/

Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
I only have 5,000 miles on my 6.7L but I have yet to fill up at anything other than a corner gas station. My first (and only) drain of the fuel/water separator showed no contaminants or water. Just nice clean diesel. Maybe I got lucky.

The truck stops that I've considered using sell diesel for considerably more than the corner gas station.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Tom49
New User
Looking at buying an older F250 since being retired I don't think I can afford anything even close to new . Also considering my first diesel. Would really appreciate any helpful tips on older F250's i.e. What to stay away from. Is looking at 100,000 + with a diesel ok. Oh! and what is DEF ��

Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you don't mind an older truck that doesn't have the power or ride quality of the modern rigs, a 1995-2003 7.3 is what you're looking for. They are out-dated, loud and stinky, but reliable and not terribly expensive to repair. I had to spend a hefty chunk of change on a new transmission on my 1999 7.3, but i love this truck and will be holding onto it for 5-10 more years. I used to have a 6.0, which rode better and made a lot more power, but i didn't trust it as much as my current truck. Your biggest fear with a 7.3 is the transmission. The engine is solid, but you can expect small things to repair over time, such as leaking fuel filter housing, replacing o-rings on the injectors, exhaust up-pipe leaks, and other relatively inexpensive items. The 7.3s frequently live past 500k miles, so don't be afraid of one with 200k miles or even 300k if the price is right. I would do the research to figure out what to look for when buying a 7.3 if you want to go that route. The 12/1998 build date and newer 7.3s have more power and are preferred over the older ones. 2000-2003 have better transmission cooling and better stock tuning.

The 2005-07 6.0s can be had somewhat affordably, but without becoming an expert on them through tons of research, they are a risky buy. You could find one that seems to run great, but needs 8 grand worth of work. Blown head gaskets and plugged oil coolers are hard to identify, unless you know specifically what to check and look for. If you get a 6.0, I'd highly recommend keeping $5000 stashed away for potential repairs. They can be pretty spendy to fix, but a well-kept 6.0 isn't a bad truck by any means. I would not go for a 2003-2004 6.0.

As for the 2008-2010 6.4s, they can be had very cheap for their age and mileage. There is a reason for it. They are garbage and rediculously expensive to fix. STAY AWAY FROM THE 6.4.

DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is simply urea and water that is injected directly into the exhaust to reduce emissions. It helps to reduce NOX and reduces the diesel stink. Only the 2011+ trucks require it, so you don't have anything to worry about there.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Shelstin
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info. I am looking for the same advice.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 PM
TexAg00
New User
I spent many of my youth years on tractors but that was decades ago and I'm new diesel owner as well. Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom...I'm make sure to pay attention at the pump! Any advice on knowing which places are "high volume" diesel sellers? My guess would be the big truck stops along highways. Anything other do's and don'ts for a new owner?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Buc-ee's are high-volume

Quick Reply: Tips for a new diesel owner?