My F250 won't trigger some traffic lights to turn green - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F250 won't trigger some traffic lights to turn green

Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Freshman User

thelonius is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F250 won't trigger some traffic lights to turn green

Anyone else observe this? There are at least two intersections near my house that will not trigger, even after I back up then pull forward again multiple times.

I know the traffic light sensors work fine because any other vehicle I'm in will trigger it immediately. What's the problem here? Aluminum?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Posting Guru

2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I can say for sure, it has nothing to do with the aluminum sheet metal.

If steel was necessary to trigger the sensor (which it isn't), your "aluminum" truck has 2x the steel of a small "steel" car.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Junior User

DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It could very well be the aluminum body. Some lights use an inductive sensing loop in the pavement. Aluminum doesn't distort the e field as well as steel would.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 PM
New User

Stroking along is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
I can say for sure, it has nothing to do with the aluminum sheet metal.

If steel was necessary to trigger the sensor (which it isn't), your "aluminum" truck has 2x the steel of a small "steel" car.
Well let's hear it, what do you think triggers it?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Posting Guru

2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking along View Post
Well let's hear it, what do you think triggers it?
As the previous poster said, they are usually an inductive loop. They will respond to any conductor that enters the field. Aluminum actually conducts better than steel and will be detected just fine. Most bicycles have enough metal to trip them.

Perhaps it's a small loop (you can usually see them) and your high and wide truck is straddling the sensor enough to not trip it. Could you try driving 1' to the right or left and report back?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Posting Guru

fordmantpw has a very good reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a very good reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a very good reputation on FTE.
These trucks are also much higher off the ground than small cars, and that may have an effect as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM
New User

jergle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I remember reading somewhere in the past that guys with big tires and jacked up trucks would sometimes hang a steel weight off the front bumper so it would be low enough to trigger the light. Might check some of the 4WD forums for more info.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Senior User

SESWIM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
These trucks are also much higher off the ground than small cars, and that may have an effect as well.

Yep. I have a JK that has trouble tripping lights. Height has a lot to do with it.

Sam
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Senior User

River Wild is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's not the truck. Could be any number of factors such as time of day and programming. Could be the loop detector is faulty in which case the signal will then go into a default timing mode where the other movements have priority. Call the City or whoever owns the signal and tell them there maybe an issue and any Public Works department worth their salt will check it out.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Freshman User

retiredandfree is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Now I know what these are for, strictly function

Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Junior User

jaherbst is starting off with a positive reputation.

Inductive loops are old school. Most lights have a doppler/lazer overhead to detect traffic. No detection --the light does not change.

Jack
Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Wild View Post
It's not the truck. Could be any number of factors such as time of day and programming. Could be the loop detector is faulty in which case the signal will then go into a default timing mode where the other movements have priority. Call the City or whoever owns the signal and tell them there maybe an issue and any Public Works department worth their salt will check it out.
It absolutely has something to do with my truck.

As I previously stated, these are lights right by my house that I pass multiple times daily. The light will trigger immediately when I approach it in any other vehicle. I can also watch vehicles trigger it consistently from the front door of my condo. I've watched thousands of cars trigger that light and never seen anyone idle at a red light there more than 10 seconds.My truck is the only one I've observed to not trigger it.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
As the previous poster said, they are usually an inductive loop. They will respond to any conductor that enters the field. Aluminum actually conducts better than steel and will be detected just fine. Most bicycles have enough metal to trip them.

Perhaps it's a small loop (you can usually see them) and your high and wide truck is straddling the sensor enough to not trip it. Could you try driving 1' to the right or left and report back?
You bet. I'll try it and report back. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Elder User

Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You're just missing the field. Drive a little offset and you'll probably hit it, you might be able to rev your engine and set it off with the EM field from your alternators. I was able to do that at a local light like clockworks.

My sport bike pretty much never sets off inductive loops. Always sets off the lazer/lidar ones tho. I just wait the required 30 seconds and then run the light. Love that CA law.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
You're just missing the field. Drive a little offset and you'll probably hit it, you might be able to rev your engine and set it off with the EM field from your alternators. I was able to do that at a local light like clockworks.

My sport bike pretty much never sets off inductive loops. Always sets off the lazer/lidar ones tho. I just wait the required 30 seconds and then run the light. Love that CA law.
If I am missing the field, why does this phenomena occur with apparently only my truck?