Broke Down Kingman, AZ.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Down Kingman, AZ.

Hi Brothers,
Well today has not been a Good Day. We arrived at an RV park yesterday afternoon. Truck was running great. unhooked from the fifth wheel and shut it down. This morning went out to warm it up before we went into town for some groceries. It started right up but instantly ran very bad & threw a ses . Well got out the laptop & checked it out p1236 IDM problem. did a buzz test that came up with code p0236 cyl 6 low circuit. ohmed the pin on the UVHC it was 3.5. pulled the valve cover just to check the connections. everything was tight. 50 cent mod still in place no burnt or chaffed wires. the harness over the valve cover is not chaffed. So is there anyone around Kingman, AZ. that has a spare IDM? I am 2000 miles away from home and we are heading to Yuma, AZ. for the winter.
Thanks for your Help !

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ran very bad as in half the cylinders dropped out, or just like one of them dropped with a noticeable miss at idle?

Did you start the truck with the valve cover removed? How many on that bank were spitting oil?

Strictly diesel is in Phoenix. Not exactly close, but Dennis has a solid reputation and can get you whatever parts you end up needing.

If the entire bank is shut down, try clearing the codes and unplugging the injector. I've seen a bad injector solenoid shut down an entire bank.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
Sounds like one injector dropped out. didnt start it with the vc off. I am in a rv park and not supposed to be working on vehicles here. I know about strictly diesel. Just trying to figure out what I might need. I cannot get any parts until Monday.
Thanks for the reply

Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 AM
Kingkong0192
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you're in an RV park with your camper so it could be worse.

Im like 80% sure I have an IDM kicking around here. I will look tomorrow and if I do and you need one I can get it sent out Monday through USPS urgent priority mail.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
yes, I could be on the side of the road. We were just at Lake Powell for 5 days. I 40 from Flagstaff to Kingman is not a place you want to be on the side of the road.

I am going to do some more checking today. I will ohm the wires at the IDM connector to the injector. I dd a lot of reading on the forum last night and it seems that an IDM rarely fails.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver Dually
I will ohm the wires at the IDM connector to the injector. I dd a lot of reading on the forum last night and it seems that an IDM rarely fails.
That's what I was thinking. There have been cases where guys inspected the harness but missed the bare spot. It can be very tiny and look like a spot of dirt. If there is a store nearby maybe you can grab a magnifying glass.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,693 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver Dually
yes, I could be on the side of the road. We were just at Lake Powell for 5 days. I 40 from Flagstaff to Kingman is not a place you want to be on the side of the road.

I am going to do some more checking today. I will ohm the wires at the IDM connector to the injector. I dd a lot of reading on the forum last night and it seems that an IDM rarely fails.
I have a spare IDM, I am in Chino Valley about 150 miles from you, you drove 30 miles from me when you were on I 40

Old 09-24-2017, 09:09 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
My only experience with a failed IDM was it due to getting water in it through the vent plug. But that was on a '97 where the IDM was mounted right by the hood/fender line in the engine bay. Now it's buried under the DS fender well, so I think it's more protected there - and also much harder to reach.

The IDM provides power to each bank separately, but to all injectors on a bank together. It does have a protection mode where if one injector solenoid is bad it will shut down that bank. By bad I think it means shorted, as an open shouldn't affect the circuit, so as F350-6 mentioned, unplugging a bad solenoid should get the rest of the bank running. 406injectors has really good response and sells new solenoids (from Italy?) for $50. They're in Montana and also sell the bit for those screws.

I drove my '97 around one day hauling a ton of stone for my friends porch when I had one bank out. Yeah, it was slow, but it made it until I figured out the issue.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
Thanks Helifixer,
pm me with your phone number, I will call you after I complete the further testing. rules at the park are no noise until 0800. not suppose to work on vehicles at all. so I have to be quiet about it.

Thanks !

Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
number sent,
I will be at church from 10:00 until about 12:30

Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
I have a couple low mileage reman injectors also

Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure on the P1236 code? Cant find it anywhere in my documentation. Internet search shows it's a fuel pump issue code.

Maybe P1263, High to low side short cyl. # 3?

Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
my bad, sorry it was a p1316

Old 09-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Silver Dually
Freshman User
update, I have the IDM out & in my hands. not an easy job without my real toolbox at home.

I ohmed the leads on the IDM connector,all check out good all the way to the injectors. I also completed the 3 step test to check the complete injector circuit. all good.

So, where I am at in the RV park I cannot switch injectors around to see if is a bad injector.

Any Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Can you get the valve covers off and check for oil flow through the injectors? Can you try disconnecting one at a time and see if there's any difference?

Quick Reply: Broke Down Kingman, AZ.