1967 f100 4x4 Front axles repair or replace - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1967 f100 4x4 Front axles repair or replace

 
  #1  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 AM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
1967 f100 4x4 Front axles repair or replace

Hello gentlemen

I am having the front end resealed and the fella says I got grooves cut into the seal surfaces of my axle(s). He can't seem to find replacements or fix mine. It's been two months since I gave it to him! He's all but quit working on it. I'd like to get my truck back.

Can someone suggest my next move. Year swap axles (73?)? Braze and turn? JB weld (okay, okay but it has solved a lot of my problems before..)

Original as far as I can tell.
352cid
Dana 44 high pinion

Thanks
BJ
 
  #2  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM
mrpotatohead
mrpotatohead is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NAMPA, ID.
Posts: 1,273
mrpotatohead is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mrpotatohead is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've used JB weld on a hydraulic cylinder ram and it worked fine. It should work in your situation as well; however there are other methods. Speedy sleeves are one type of journal repair product. They can be ordered by application or by size. Your going to have to elevate your parts sources from the typical Auto Zone to a good old school source or maybe even a machine shop. Last case scenario is having the journals spray welded and re-machined to factory specs. I would pursue these options rather than looking for replacements.
 
  #3  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well now, that is a great reply. I will do as you say and look them up. I would prefer the sleeves as the shape will already be there.
thank you, thank you.

BJ

P.s. Good luck on your restore! I am about six month behind you.
 
  #4  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:54 AM
GaryKip's Avatar
GaryKip
GaryKip is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lind, WA- Eastern WA
Posts: 3,461
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Some of the bearing suppliers (Like Timkin) also have offset axle bearings. They just ride in a different area on the axle,than the originals.
 
  #5  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 AM
fe390pc's Avatar
fe390pc
fe390pc is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,879
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is a link to the SKF branded Speedi-Sleeve that will fix your problem.


SKF Speedi-Sleeve
 
  #6  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey thanks guys! I love the sleeve idea...

Went and took the axels from the mechanic. If I can't fix these, will another year fit?

Dished surface.
Some other problems. Can I re-round this?
Rough.
 

Last edited by bigwilliejoe; 09-14-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Pictures
  #7  
Old 09-16-2017, 01:57 AM
GaryKip's Avatar
GaryKip
GaryKip is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lind, WA- Eastern WA
Posts: 3,461
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
I would think a machine shop could do it. But is the repair cost lower than a replacement?
 
  #8  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM
orich's Avatar
orich
orich is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: **** hole San Jose ca.
Posts: 7,462
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
Hmm I went through the same thing with my ft. axle.

Found a guy that welded an turned them to size all for $50 bucks.
But found the long axle bent a little also.

What,I ended up doing was not seating the seal all the way in where, I could do it was about 0.30- 050ths from all the way in that gave the seal a good surface to seal.

I put in a lot of money an time rebuilding the whole axle hub to hub.

A year later I came across a 76 HD Dana 44 at the loco PnP so I rebuilt it hub to hub .

Got new HD axles from Yukon put in a Lock right new every thing other then the ring & pinon gear set was from my old axle that was 4:11.

I ended up scraping the whole old axle new drums an all. I had it for sale for months. I offered it for Free even after that an still on takers so it went into the junk return junk box.

I had about $900 bucks in it but, I knew that if at anything it broke while off roading it would be back to looking for old half *** used good old parts to try to fix it.

So by going with the 76 axle, I KNEW there would always be new parts to be had with no problem yrs to come at getting them..

That's what everyone is faced with when it comes time to try to fix it time with the old closed knuckle Axle.
Orich
 
  #9  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by orich View Post
Hmm I went through the same thing with my ft. axle.

Found a guy that welded an turned them to size all for $50 bucks.
But found the long axle bent a little also.

What,I ended up doing was not seating the seal all the way in where, I could do it was about 0.30- 050ths from all the way in that gave the seal a good surface to seal.

I put in a lot of money an time rebuilding the whole axle hub to hub.

A year later I came across a 76 HD Dana 44 at the loco PnP so I rebuilt it hub to hub .

Got new HD axles from Yukon put in a Lock right new every thing other then the ring & pinon gear set was from my old axle that was 4:11.

I ended up scraping the whole old axle new drums an all. I had it for sale for months. I offered it for Free even after that an still on takers so it went into the junk return junk box.

I had about $900 bucks in it but, I knew that if at anything it broke while off roading it would be back to looking for old half *** used good old parts to try to fix it.

So by going with the 76 axle, I KNEW there would always be new parts to be had with no problem yrs to come at getting them..

That's what everyone is faced with when it comes time to try to fix it time with the old closed knuckle Axle.
Orich
Partner, I am about there...lol

NOW, I am not too sure I got original axle shafts. While trying to solve my first problem (scored seal surfaces and such) I see that my shaft is different from the rest of the ones shown online. I have an area that tapers down starting 4" from the knuckle. See below.
I don't see that on any of the replacement shafts for sale.



Is that a 1967 F100 Dana 44 front axle? if so, its the only one. lol




The first picture is located on the white page as seen in the second picture.

WTH? Tell me this is original.
 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IMG_5515.jpg.pdf (1.79 MB, 12 views)
  #10  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do like the $50 part though. lol. I'll get over to the only machine shop for miles and see what magic he can yield.

Thanks again gents! It would be nice to move on from this.
 
  #11  
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM
orich's Avatar
orich
orich is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: **** hole San Jose ca.
Posts: 7,462
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bigwilliejoe View Post
I do like the $50 part though. lol. I'll get over to the only machine shop for miles and see what magic he can yield.

Thanks again gents! It would be nice to move on from this.
I figured the price was going to be a few hundred bucks, but this was a retired "old dude"

Geez, I forgot I was stuck in an old body also anyways.
He worked out of his garage so did stuff just to keep busy.

He did special stuff for a Driveline shop that does my stuff when needed.

If, I was you, I would not spent much money on it an keep an eye out for a later axel if you plan on keeping the truck for a number of yrs.

I have learned that most all trucks that end up in the junk yards have been sitting for a number of yrs before they end up in the junk yrs, was when a vehicle was in use it keeps the moisture down to a minimum as it vented out when oils get hot from normal use. But as a vehicle just sits moisture builds up that does in the bearing an axle the will all need replacing so not cheap when buying one from a junk yard.

Keep checking Craigslist for one.

Orich
 
  #12  
Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by orich View Post
I figured the price was going to be a few hundred bucks, but this was a retired "old dude"

Geez, I forgot I was stuck in an old body also anyways.
He worked out of his garage so did stuff just to keep busy.

He did special stuff for a Driveline shop that does my stuff when needed.

If, I was you, I would not spent much money on it an keep an eye out for a later axel if you plan on keeping the truck for a number of yrs.

I have learned that most all trucks that end up in the junk yards have been sitting for a number of yrs before they end up in the junk yrs, was when a vehicle was in use it keeps the moisture down to a minimum as it vented out when oils get hot from normal use. But as a vehicle just sits moisture builds up that does in the bearing an axle the will all need replacing so not cheap when buying one from a junk yard.

Keep checking Craigslist for one.

Orich
Okay, I give. UNCLE!

The machine shop will not do the work because of an issue with heat treatment... Maybe a spray weld, but.

Hey Orich, in your journey, did you find what would swap well with a '67 F100 Dana 44? Heck, I don't care anymore. I would like to keep it stock but maybe down the road if I find a set of axles for it. But for now, I would like to get on with the restore.

I would love disk brakes and a two bolt swap but I will take anything right now.

Thank you ahead.
 
  #13  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM
orich's Avatar
orich
orich is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: **** hole San Jose ca.
Posts: 7,462
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
My swap was easy to the disc brake axle. Had to change the Front rubber flex lines changed over.

So had to re-plum the hard lines over. Then added a Proportion valve that was adjustable into the rear hard line. That was it.

I kept my truck with the manual steering and did not want to mess with putting in any of the old steering power assist crap.

Or any other home made custom linkage!

I used my pitman arm as it's the same length as to power assist unit which was easy find on ebay if your needs replacing. The steering mid shaft u-joint is also replaceable.
Orich
 
  #14  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM
bigwilliejoe
bigwilliejoe is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
bigwilliejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Orich

Oh, buddy!

I found a '78 f250 with 4.11 gears for $500. What do you thinK? It has the brakes still attached, so...

Thanks ahead.

Originally Posted by orich View Post
My swap was easy to the disc brake axle. Had to change the Front rubber flex lines changed over.

So had to re-plum the hard lines over. Then added a Proportion valve that was adjustable into the rear hard line. That was it.

I kept my truck with the manual steering and did not want to mess with putting in any of the old steering power assist crap.

Or any other home made custom linkage!

I used my pitman arm as it's the same length as to power assist unit which was easy find on ebay if your needs replacing. The steering mid shaft u-joint is also replaceable.
Orich
 
  #15  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM
fe390pc's Avatar
fe390pc
fe390pc is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,879
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
Great axle, but it wont work in the F100. Leaf spring verses coil springs. I don't think you can even use parts off it for yours.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 f100 4x4 Front axles repair or replace


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.