Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 02:50 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Trans cooler question

https://youtu.be/6Rs4B-WjLQQ?feature=shared here's a link to a video, not sure what's going on here? I noticed trans is running hotter than I'd like so I go look at coolers, and there's this? Not quite sure what's going on here. I don't remember my last trucks coolers bieng like this.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:26 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 525 Likes on 402 Posts
I have an '02 7.3L Excursion, and replaced the OEM tranny cooler with an OEM Ford 6.0 tranny cooler.

it is at least 3 time larger, maybe more?
I didn't measure the old one, my mechanic threw it away

he used Rubber hoses to connect the new one to the old lines

Old 11-18-2023, 03:33 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
I have an '02 7.3L Excursion, and replaced the OEM tranny cooler with an OEM Ford 6.0 tranny cooler. it is at least 3 time larger, maybe more?I didn't measure the old one, my mechanic threw it away he used Rubber hoses to connect the new one to the old lines 
It is larger, but I don't think by much. I'm not sure but it doesn't look like a 6.0l cooler

Old 11-18-2023, 07:39 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,618 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Doesn’t look like a 6.0 cooler from what o remember. My guess is someone had some trans issues so installed an aftermarket cooler and bypassed the factory stuff.

I’m not much help with that but can help by cleaning up your YouTube link so more people will watch it.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:42 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Doesn’t look like a 6.0 cooler from what o remember. My guess is someone had some trans issues so installed an aftermarket cooler and bypassed the factory stuff.  I’m not much help with that but can help by cleaning up your YouTube link so more people will watch it.  https://youtu.be/6Rs4B-WjLQQ https://youtube.com/shorts/0ir_bZwfA...OlM8bRjS4U2EB4

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. I was able to get the one idk why not the other 1.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:44 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Oh I see it posted up now. Neither of them were working for me earlier.

Yes, sometimes the forum fights us on video links for some reason. You can use the “paperclip” to force a link but it’s cumbersome. That’s typically how I fix them.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:46 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
It's not a 6.0 cooler both the hot and cool side come in from the swampers side. I thought 6.0 cooler came in from bottom and out the other side on bottom. I can't remember. But this thing isn't ****ing working very good. I was up to 190 today and its like 7°c outside. I wanna drive this truck into a ****ing lake.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:49 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Atleast I hope it isn't as it isn't working worth a damn

Old 11-18-2023, 09:07 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
It could be the cooler bypass valve on the side of the trans between the lines. It’s rebuildable.

Pulled these links from the tech folder.

Flow test
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17271189

Bypass rebuild
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...6&d=1590498967

Old 11-18-2023, 10:31 PM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
It could be the cooler bypass valve on the side of the trans between the lines. It’s rebuildable. Pulled these links from the tech folder. Flow testhttps://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495586-transmission-cooler-flow-test.html#post17271189 Bypass rebuildhttps://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=268106&d=1590498967
Possibility as, one of these rubber lines i found was kinda pinched. I freed it up now. They are hot to the touch on both in and out of the cooler. I honestly think this cooler is some home jobby pos?

Old 11-19-2023, 02:17 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Pics would help bro

Old 11-19-2023, 06:59 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Remove the coolers that are there.

Install a cooler from 2005 6.0 F250. Dorman brand is fine ($150ish for the last one I bought).

I typically bypass the cooler in radiator - because I’m often doing this job in conjunction with a transmission rebuild and don’t trust I can clean the radiator cooler adequately. I’ve done this to literally dozens of trucks that operate in climates from south Texas to northern Montana.

Also, get rid of any stupid thermostats or external filters and reject all bad advice to install these...

I plumb 6.0 cooler by cutting the steel lines from transmission and use 3/8” compression to 1/2” NPT adapter threaded into a 1/2” NPT to 1/2” barb. Then (6ft) 1/2” TRANSMISSION COOLER HOSE to the new cooler. I put the hoses on the cooler before installing it, then run the hoses to the passenger side and under the core support.

This method is very clean and I have literally never had a single problem after doing it this way for probably 20yrs now.

I did one last week with a fresh transmission for my neighbor. I’ll go snap some pics or a quick video when I get a chance.

The following 2 users liked this post by SkySkiJason:
Old 11-19-2023, 07:36 AM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Remove the coolers that are there. Install a cooler from 2005 6.0 F250. Dorman brand is fine ($150ish for the last one I bought). I typically bypass the cooler in radiator - because I’m often doing this job in conjunction with a transmission rebuild and don’t trust I can clean the radiator cooler adequately. I’ve done this to literally dozens of trucks that operate in climates from south Texas to northern Montana. Also, get rid of any stupid thermostats or external filters and reject all bad advice to install these... I plumb 6.0 cooler by cutting the steel lines from transmission and use 3/8” compression to 1/2” NPT adapter threaded into a 1/2” NPT to 1/2” barb. Then (6ft) 1/2” TRANSMISSION COOLER HOSE to the new cooler. I put the hoses on the cooler before installing it, then run the hoses to the passenger side and under the core support. This method is very clean and I have literally never had a single problem after doing it this way for probably 20yrs now. I did one last week with a fresh transmission for my neighbor. I’ll go snap some pics or a quick video when I get a chance.
Thanks, I'm wondering if the cooler is plugged with crap from these rubber lines? It also looks like a cheap cooler the thing is tiny very very thin. Its longer but ya seems like a shutty dollar store cooler. I was just making sure I wasn't crazy and this **** was factory. I'll be throwing a 6.0 cooler in there when I get the chance. Why would somebody use a cooler that's not even keeping the ****ing tranny cool in the winter time?

Old 11-19-2023, 07:54 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfieldscum
Why would somebody use a cooler that's not even keeping the ****ing tranny cool in the winter time?
Ignorance?? It probably said ‘rated to tow 30k lbs’ right on the box!! Someone thought that was an upgrade...

If they didn’t use transmission cooler hose - your problems could be worse than a plugged cooler.

I probably wouldn’t put this off...

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Oilfieldscum
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Ignorance?? It probably said ‘rated to tow 30k lbs’ right on the box!! Someone thought that was an upgrade... If they didn’t use transmission cooler hose - your problems could be worse than a plugged cooler. I probably wouldn’t put this off...
trucks been getting ran like this for god knows how long, I gotta stop taking poeples word for stuff and actually looking at it when I buy it.I hope those lines arent eaten on the inside as I no how hard atf is on stuff.I'll be finding a 6.o cooler asap.now for these rubber lines, I no you said transmission cooler hose, I have that heat rated hose for coolant etc do you think those would be similar quality? I have no idea about rubber hoses but I know the ones this hillbilly used are not beuno.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler question