IDM Mod question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDM Mod question

Old 09-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior User

Dude-Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
IDM Mod question

Well I've been honing in my soldering skills lately and this mod sounds like a fun Saturday project. My question is regarding the Watts of the resistor. If I have the choice between a 73.2kohm .6W 1% and a 73.2kohm .5W 1% resistor which one do I choose?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Junior User

Wesley Green is starting off with a positive reputation.
I assume you are referring to this mod?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Wow, 45hp by changing a resistor?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Senior User

That's the one.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Senior User

Colorado350 has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ok, so what are the POTENTIAL NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Ok, so what are the POTENTIAL NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES?
I have no experience with this mod, but here's what I read: Ford Diesel Power Forums - View Single Post - IDM Mod pics and info

Supposedly it changes the timing?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Senior User

The negative is having to buy a new IDM if you screw up and there's no way in hell its 45hp.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 AM
Athletic Supporter

coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like Snake Oil and Leprechauns to me.....
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 AM
Freshman User

helgaairhead is starting off with a positive reputation.
I actually did get in contact with the person behind the youtube video above. He wanted to "sell" me a company deal in which he would teach me to become a "tech" replacing the diode and upgrade any IDM to higher horsepower. He wanted $1000 US dollar up front and $1000 US more when the class was done - this also included him shipping a disc and some paper up front (€1000 US)) and him trough Skype teaching - leading me trough the prosess of actually doing the repair there and then($1000US) - 2 grand total
My question for him where: Do you change the high frequency like Swamp?.
Answer where only : NO
My replay: NOT interested - thank you sir for your time.

I ended up bying the Swamp IDM - 140 volt and high frequency

About the Swamp IDM, start up are faster more crisp and I'm feeling the injectors are responding faster as to the magnets sounds "happier".
I rebuild my own injectors currently running 130cc with 30% nozzles on my buddies trucks and also on my own "stock" engine. 38R, intake, cold air, 4" exhaust, fuel mods, R return, T-500 Hpop, and when I did replace the IDM I noticed a difference.
They claim you will gain - is it some 30 horse with theyre IDM?. I would say yes in my case.
On a bone stock truck - maybee, I mean tired injectors, tired HPOP, old oil - you guys know what I'm talking about.

To the OP: Bite the bullet and go for Swamps sollution- you need the high frequency mod.
If you look into the frequency mod on Ford 7.3 PSD IDM - on the internet-even here on this excellent forum - there would be more information of why the frequency are just as important as the volt mod.

Just my 2C best of luck buddy,
Helge
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Senior User

I've considered the swamps IDM and I know it's better but it's 500 bucks man!!! Five Hundred! 5 0 0. Absolutely not.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Senior User

pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't have a Dog in this Fight.

I have replaced a few that had the Mods done over the years. Same theory behind doing the FICM to increase voltage on the 6.0L, along with an initial higher voltage. Changed out many of those as well following "DIY'er" Mods.

Two things that immediately come to mind is Heat Dissipation and additional wear at the Injector Solenoid and connectors if they're not tight (resistance)

If it were me, unless I had a "Better" set of Injectors with parts designed for the additional voltage, I would leave it be. I think you will find the IDM's designed and sold to supply the additional voltage has stout limiters and regulators within to ensure damage does not occur and heat is minimized.

The Stock Signal is 90v - So, in some cases people have doubled it. I think this is where the issue comes in with the Mod to both the FICM and IDM. Especially with resistance in the circuit. - Replace the UVCH and other connections to ensure limited resistance.

But, then again, I have no "real" proof. Just opinion.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I've tried three different IDMs in my truck. The "110 volt", the "120 volt" and the Swamps high-frequency unit. The 110 and 120 are absolutely interchangeable... I experienced no difference. The Swamps made my 160/100s happier because of my short FIPW in all modes. The truck idles a bit smoother, it sounds more like a Superduty 7.3 than it did before the mod, but I can no longer remember the other differences because I've had the Swamps for a while.

I would not go for the "more power for a buck" mod... and I know my electronics. I've seen similar mods done to my truck by the PO, and while they may aid at WOT - they did more harm than good in daily driving. I even had one mod component fail, and it weakened the truck through all modes of driving.

Other than the red line or 7-turn mod, if you want more power on a 7.3L, it costs money... lots of it.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
What's the matter Tug.. You ain't a fan of the, grounding of the map sensor, mod...lol
Old 09-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
What's the matter Tug.. You ain't a fan of the, grounding of the map sensor, mod...lol
I don't get it.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
The OP was trying a nickle and dime boost fooler. They put a zener diode on the MAP signal line, and the zener diode failed. Well... this is my first diesel, and the early days I had to spend hours in front of a computer screen with AE data, trying to figure out all the nonsense that was taking place in the truck.

Once I finally got the truck to 100% function with sensible mods (like more air), the performance and economy shot up.