Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 3.5 Eco vs F250 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcnawsty
Get the 6.2 super duty. Far less to worry about compared to a maxed out v6. If you look around, you won't find any issues with a 6.2. The v6, not so much.
I think I recognize the posting style.

Better do some home work. If the 6.2L is in a 2017 truck, the transmission has been an issue as it's a lighter duty transmission than what is used in the diesels and F-350's. 2016 and earlier 6.2L trucks, that won't be an issue.

If I were to pull the trigger on a new truck right now and money wasn't the controller, it would be a SRW F-350 gas. I think this will prove to be among the most reliable and capable trucks in Ford's stable right now. But, the cost will come at the pump.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foozlemonster
Just looking for opinions, and personal experiences. I am in the market for a new truck. I currently have a 2012 F150 FX4 with a 5.0. It's been a good truck, but a little lacking on the power side, especially with a trailer behind it.

The two trucks that are with in my price range are the two that I listed. The options on both would include Lariat, 4x4, and crew. The F250 would have a 4.30 gear, and the F150 would have the max tow, so a 3.55.

I like the capability and stance of the F250. I haven't been able to drive on yet, so that might make a big difference. I know the mpg is going to be in the lower teens. Also, the truck I would want pretty much has to be ordered.

I like the power of the ecoboost, and they are a dime a dozen. I know the F150 would initially get better mileage, but it's unclear what the mpg would do after I raised the stance a little, and added some 34" tires.

My ultimate plan is to by a travel trailer. Probable 8000-10,000lbs. I,m a little worried about how the F150, not the ecoboost, would handle this trailer.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Real world experiences are better. Thanks in advance.

I just spent the better part of 2 weeks reading this forum and the SD forum. Yes that did include some posts and at least on unpleasant experience, but that is people.

When all was said and done, I went to drive the SD and was appalled at how it drove! My brother had a 2012 SD that I have driven so the poor quality of the steering was astounding while the wheels in the next zip code did not bother me.

I have been towing a 4200lb cargo trailer with an '09 EB EXP and its economy has been middle single digits at highway speeds. In town on the freeway I get less than 10mpg. This has had me looking for a replacement.

So after I determined that $10K for a terrible drive was not going to work, I looked carefully at what I have and what was available.

The 2017 F150 4x4 EB has 10 more horses and almost 100 ft/lbs more torque than my Expedition! That is what I purchased Labor Day.

I don't tow enough to justify the extra $ for the SD with either engine and I know the F150 will do a better job than my current driver.

Good luck on making your choice, just try diligently to look at factual stuff rather than the religious opinions you will get from some here.

Bad Attitude #8763

Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Skipdaddie
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you live? I have a 2017 F350 6.7 Lariat with 7k mi and I'm looking to downsize to an F150 as a result of a longer commute. I bought a Camaro ZL1 to drive to work and don't need a $70K truck to drive in the winter.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 AM
foozlemonster
Senior User
We are only 45k in, but so far, I've been happy with the reliability of my wife's ecoboost. If I buy a gas motor, it will not stay in my hands past 80k, so I'm not to worried.

I I love just south of Fort Worth, TX. I'm going to a local dealer today to see what they'll let me drive.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
I live near Boerne Tx but bought in New Braunfels. Good luck. Drive both before you make your decision.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Our 2013 Eco Max Tow replaced our 04 SD diesel. Both with 3.73 gears. Pulling our 20' enclosed race car trailer both got 11 mpg. The 04 got 20 on the road empty the 13 got 22 empty. The 13 worked hard on hills the 04 did not. The 13 ran hot pulling and sometimes in the mountains empty. I've always had to back off with the 13 to protect it. I had Edge Monitor guage systems on both and I'll tell you what I saw scared me with the 13 towing that box. 13 is gone, awaiting a 18 with a 5.0. Towing has just about stopped and I didn't know about direct injection problems when I bought it. Had I known I would have installed a catch can then and I'd would have kept it. Good luck and I agree with the the $$$$ idea. They are killing us with the prices of new trucks...

Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
foozlemonster
Senior User
i really appreciate all the good info. I'm a little nervous about the 3.5, but they've produced a lot of them without any huge issues. Maybe this new dual fuel system will fix the GDI issues.

If they'd pull off all that emmision junk, there's $4k-$5k they wouldn't have to charge for a 6.7.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
There is no question that the 3.5L EB gets underestimated in terms of power. However, if you compare the torque curves between the 3.5L EB, and the 5L V8, the 3.5 wins all the way. It really, really pulls strongly.

The only thing I have found is that the engine braking comes up a tad short. The 2.7L EB even more so. So if you have to tow in mountainous territory, that would be a consideration.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Just to let you guys know one of my selections on my Edge monitor was spark advance. When towing even on flat land at 60 mph the advance was ALWAYS under 10 degrees and ZERO with any incline. The electronics does this as we all know, with so many sensors it will save the engine. When I was going to tow I always filled up with the highest octane I could get (turbo engines should get this anyway no matter what the manufacturer says) Anyway at ZERO advance temperature goes up, my cylinder head temp went to 240 (max on the monitor) 230 water on the monitor, and the trans to 250 on the monitor. Maybe using stock gauges we are just happy guys and oblivious to what's happening. But I wanted to know and the Edge Moniter did that for me. It will be reprogrammed for the 2015 5.0.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Just to let you guys know one of my selections on my Edge monitor was spark advance. When towing even on flat land at 60 mph the advance was ALWAYS under 10 degrees and ZERO with any incline. The electronics does this as we all know, with so many sensors it will save the engine. When I was going to tow I always filled up with the highest octane I could get (turbo engines should get this anyway no matter what the manufacturer says) Anyway at ZERO advance temperature goes up, my cylinder head temp went to 240 (max on the monitor) 230 water on the monitor, and the trans to 250 on the monitor. Maybe using stock gauges we are just happy guys and oblivious to what's happening. But I wanted to know and the Edge Moniter did that for me. It will be reprogrammed for the 2015 5.0.

I saw a thread recently that suggested the E30 (?) stuff gave mileage numbers even better than premium with the EB engine. Additionally, from what I have read, Ford SAYS to use premium when towing.

YMMV

Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Not going to comment on fuel milage but methanol like ethanol runs cooler than just gasoline alone. IMCA Modifed race engines can't get them warm enough and cold winters I believe you need heat on E85 equipped cars. It's a possibility that E85 would be a good thing for the turbo engines but Ford recommended nothing over 15 I believe.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
Not an exact comparison but I have a 3.5 EB max tow and a 2005 6.8 V10 Super Duty. I have towed the identical 7500 travel trailer with both trucks. The EB is every bit the equal of the V10 (and I'm sure the 6.2 as well) but the towing experiences are completely different. The Super Duty heft and wheelbase provide an incredibly stable platform. The F150 feels somewhat unsettled and I was over my payload with four people in the truck, some gear in the bed and 1100 lbs. of tongue weight. Not white knuckle unsettled but I'm definitely less relaxed towing with the F150. I love the F250 engine braking but it if pretty ineffective on the F150. So, the issue isn't as much the motors, as it it the trucks. I would never consider towing a 10,000 lbs. trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. 8,000 lbs...maybe if the weight distribution was set up perfectly. My current trailer is 9,000 lbs. and I will only tow it with the SD.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can 100% answer your question, I have had both trucks and the F250 hands down. The F150 was faster, got better mileage both towing and empty. Our TT is 8K lbs but the F250 controls the weight with ease.

My F250 details are in my signature and I wouldn't get it without the G transmission and the 4:30 gears.

F150 2011 - Before lift - City got 15 / 21 after level and lift 13.5 / 17~18
Towing - 34'10" TT 7600 lbs - 10 Average best 12, worse 9.8

F250 2017 - Stock - City 13.5 / 16 Highway (17.6 best)
Towing - 34'10" TT 7600 lbs - 10 Average, best 11.6 worse 8.9

My ecoboost pulls the trailer much better then the 6.2 even with the 4:30, and I could accelerate up hill pretty easily. The 6.2 will do the same but will tac up to 5K. Some don't like this but for me it is fine, it is designed to work and I have no issue with that engine working.

Ride between the two is comparable, my F150 was lifted with Bilsteins, and a level, with 35" tires. F250 is stock, but they ride very smiliar, the new F250's are amazing trucks! They are quiet and ride crazy smooth!

I loved my F150 and I was sad to see it go, but my F250 is an amazing machine. Let me know if you have specific questions!

Like others said as well, the payload on the F150 was not nearly enough, because it was a platinum with all option the payload was only 1171 lbs. My trailer tongue weight was 883 lbs, which left me 288 lbs. So I am 210 lbs and my wife is 135 lbs (don't tell her I shared that I will be dead by the weekend), so no dogs, no kids as we were maxed out. My F250 6.2 has a payload off 2970, so I have plenty of room for all the things we take camping, bikes, food, family, dogs, and never worry about weight. Also in the F150 we used an Equalizer with 10K bars and I had to add Roadmaster spring assist to keep the truck from dropping in the rear.

Like I said the F250 is so much better and I can drive with one hand, verses two white knuckle hands.

Side Story and why I really upgraded, we where driving home from Tyler State park after a great weekend of camping. A semi tractor trailer where going way too fast on Highway 20, as he got even with the trailer I felt the truck being pulled towards him, I counter steered away from him but the truck kept going that way. I panic and finally hit the brakes before impact and the suction broke as he passed by us. Because I was turned away from him trying to keep from side swipe, my F150 shot back across the freeway. I was able to get truck and trailer calmed down but wife and daughter not so much. She (wife) looked at me and told me I was going to order a new truck on Monday. This is what I did and that one incidence help to solidify my decision. I talked to a few truck driver friend and they say this is common when you have a 5K truck pulling an 8K trailer you go where the trailer wants you to go.

Good luck and drive both!

Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
foozlemonster
Senior User
Sorry I haven't been on here in a few days. Some awesome responses, and I find it amazing that there have been my same debacle multiple times.

So here's where I am. I went to the dealer and laid out my story. I quickly found that the Lariat F250 6.2 that I'd like, is almost impossible to find, and the only ones they could find were in Houston, and I'm sure you all know what's going on there. So I drove a F150 ecoboost. I liked it. Quick and agile little truck...almost like a car. That's when I started thinking about putting a trailer behind it. That's when my salesman, who seems to be a pretty straight forward kind of guy, asked if I'd like to drive a diesel. Initially I said no, because if you're trying to stay on a diet, mine being financial, you don't eat chocolate, but he eventually talked me into it. Ladies and gentlemen, I am in love. Now I never drove the 6.2, but the F250 felt like a truck. I love the ride height, the power, and the stability. The truck rode just as good as my 76k mile F150.

I never drove the 6.2, but I know that when my current 5.0 has to wind up, I don't like it. Just gives me this anxious feeling. I know the 6.2 has the power, but sometimes has to do the same. So at this point, I'm currently exploring the 84 month auto loan. Dave Ramsey would be proud.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Dave Ramsey is one of my hero's. Your report suggests the one I drove had a problem in the steering system.

Oh well, the F150 Screw FX4 will do a good job of towing my 7X14 trailer. Better than my 09 Expedition.

The best of luck with your new SD

Quick Reply: F150 3.5 Eco vs F250 6.2