2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Ranger Raptor is official in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ranger Raptor is official in Australia

This is not a gaudy custom truck with ugly junk and paint hung on it, but a legit Ford model. Looks good, and I suspect that it will come to America as a profit center and halo vehicle not too long after the Ranger gets here...I think it's gonna be a hit.

https://www.ford.com.au/commercial/ranger/raptor/

Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the Bronco gets a Raptor version!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry guys--It's only going to be sold in Asia and Australia, and I suspect it'll stay that way...

As cool as it sounds, I think it would be a little ridiculous to have two trucks, sold in the same market, sized just about the same, with the same styling and niche purpose, built by the same company. Plus, the Raptor name on the Ranger would be diluting the legendary Raptor name we already have.

I would prefer the Raptor to be one legendary truck rather than an off-road division for Ford. They should have given the Ranger Raptor an entirely different name, even though it's being sold elsewhere...

Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now with video...I really hope this comes to the US (but don’t tell my wife)

Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way they covered up the that Ranger in this video, makes the front look like a Dodge.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:53 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
The sole reason Ford killed the Ranger in the U.S. to begin with was to prevent canabalizing more F-150 sales. Do you think they'll now sell a Ranger Raptor along side the F-150 Raptor which was a surprise cash cow for them? I'll be shocked if they do.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
They probably would not sell one right away, but if the Ranger catches on, a smaller version of the Raptor that would fit into parking spaces, car washes, and garages might be a nice little cash cow itself. And people who want to go off-roading on narrow trails would do much better with a Ranger than the big Raptor.

I'm not sure how many Colorado ZR2's Chevy sells, but there is some profit margin packed into those... They end up at $45k at least, and bring a $7k premium over the Z71. A base Colorado is $21k, so more than double...although the F150 Raptor is more than double the base F150 price also.

I would think there is more danger of the Bronco cannibalizing Edge and Explorer sales depending on where they price it. But a Raptorized Bronco would also be really cool and really cheap to develop if the Ranger Raptor hardware already exists.

Ford can hang cash cow prices on some surprising stuff....a loaded Escape can just about hit a $40k sticker price...

We shall see,
George

Old 11-02-2017, 01:13 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
They probably would not sell one right away, but if the Ranger catches on, a smaller version of the Raptor that would fit into parking spaces, car washes, and garages might be a nice little cash cow itself. And people who want to go off-roading on narrow trails would do much better with a Ranger than the big Raptor.

I'm not sure how many Colorado ZR2's Chevy sells, but there is some profit margin packed into those... They end up at $45k at least, and bring a $7k premium over the Z71. A base Colorado is $21k, so more than double...although the F150 Raptor is more than double the base F150 price also.

I would think there is more danger of the Bronco cannibalizing Edge and Explorer sales depending on where they price it. But a Raptorized Bronco would also be really cool and really cheap to develop if the Ranger Raptor hardware already exists.

Ford can hang cash cow prices on some surprising stuff....a loaded Escape can just about hit a $40k sticker price...

We shall see,
George
I'm sure the Ranger will catch on. But would a $45,000 Raptor version sell well? Or would people default to full size at that point?

I don't think the Bronco is a threat to Edge and Explorer at all because both of those vehicles are basically cars, whereas the Bronco will be a proper truck-based SUV. Apples to oranges. In the case of the Ranger vs. F-150 however both will be proper trucks and the sales numbers between the two will be watched very carefully by bean counters and product planners.

The pricing on ALL 4x4s has gotten stupid these days. A regular cab, short box, XL F-150 with 4x4 is close to $37,000 for 2018.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:23 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by WXboy
I'm sure the Ranger will catch on. But would a $45,000 Raptor version sell well? Or would people default to full size at that point?

I don't think the Bronco is a threat to Edge and Explorer at all because both of those vehicles are basically cars, whereas the Bronco will be a proper truck-based SUV. Apples to oranges. In the case of the Ranger vs. F-150 however both will be proper trucks and the sales numbers between the two will be watched very carefully by bean counters and product planners.

The pricing on ALL 4x4s has gotten stupid these days. A regular cab, short box, XL F-150 with 4x4 is close to $37,000 for 2018.
You and I know the Edge and Explorer are cars although Ford sort of sells the Explorer as a "truck", calling it 4WD, while calling the Edge AWD.

I think you make my point. If a base F150 4x4 is $37k, seems to me that $45-50k for a legit Ranger Raptor would seem like a pretty good deal, especially for people who want a smaller vehicle for either off-roading or for city parking. Nobody is asking for a larger Wrangler, for instance...

Trucks are priced where they are not because they cost that much to build, but because the market will pay the price (with discounts and rebates to make them seem like a better deal)... The Big 3 don't make much money on cars so they use SUV's and trucks as cash cows.

I'd like the Ranger/Bronco to do well because the Wayne, MI plant is in my area and I like to see my neighbors having jobs. And I'm a potential Bronco buyer.

George