First real road trip/towing report - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real road trip/towing report

Old 09-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Junior User

lpzd is starting off with a positive reputation.
The air is much less dense at elevation, so yeah they do tend to run little warm. Though to be honest I've never towed below 6k'
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Elder User

Colorado350 has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Another question... do high elevations contribute to high EGTs? When I was crossing Vail and Loveland passes, I was in 2nd gear doing 40 or 45 and held back by EGTs. Big trucks were crawling along at 10-15 MPH. I have a hard time judging flat ground or how steep a grade really is so I'm not sure if it's because the passes are so steep out there or if the elevation had more to do with it.

I almost had to slow down on a steep grade on I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville today. Almost.
Hey Andy,
I'm going to say yes with regards to elevation contributing to EGT's. But at same time the Turbo charged engine definitely helps but thinner air is thinner air. I notice a significant difference towing regardless of the weight between 6K' and say 10K', the engine needs to work harder, more fuel more heat.

Before I bought my truck, I towed with a Jeep Commander with the 5.7 Hemi. The Jeep actually towed well through the mountains, the 4 speed transmission was the big negative. It always hunted going up steep grades but did well if you didn't push it. BUT when you started dropping in elevation, even during steep climbs the Hemi became a Beast! The temps dropped and the engine owed the road...big difference here was the elevation i.e. air available.
I'm in Colorado btw.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Senior User

Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So now that you've towed quite a bit with the 160/80s...do you wish you'd have gone with hybrids, or are you satisfied with the power? Also, not sure if higher elevations cause higher egts, but it makes sense to me that it would. Less air up in the mountains makes stuff run hotter/work harder from my experience.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I'm very happy with the 160/80's. No regrets at all. I feel like I have more than enough power and wouldn't know what to do with more. I'm already pulling almost half of the hills I encounter in OD at and hold them at 65-70. I can swing out to pass a truck going up a medium grade in 3rd gear, pass the truck easily, get up to 65, and not even break 1150. All while towing ~19,000 lbs total. I have absolutely nothing to complain about power-wise.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Hey Andy,
I'm going to say yes with regards to elevation contributing to EGT's. But at same time the Turbo charged engine definitely helps but thinner air is thinner air. I notice a significant difference towing regardless of the weight between 6K' and say 10K', the engine needs to work harder, more fuel more heat.
It probably does; I'm just wondering if anyone happens to know the specifics, other than just "because of less air".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Before I bought my truck, I towed with a Jeep Commander with the 5.7 Hemi. The Jeep actually towed well through the mountains, the 4 speed transmission was the big negative. It always hunted going up steep grades but did well if you didn't push it. BUT when you started dropping in elevation, even during steep climbs the Hemi became a Beast! The temps dropped and the engine owed the road...big difference here was the elevation i.e. air available.
I'm in Colorado btw.
That sounds exactly like my 5.8L Bronco. Sea level to 6000' made a huge difference in power. I kind of hated it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Elder User

carl2591 has a good reputation on FTE.carl2591 has a good reputation on FTE.
check out the https://www.flattestroute.com/,, give a graphic view of the route with grades indicated along the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmike View Post
At ~17,500 lbs my cc does not hunt on the flats and certainly not downhill. I have no tunes on the truck.

I had one case where the truck was dropping out of OD on the flats and being a gutless wuss on on the smallest hills. I changed the fuel filter (it had 3-4K miles on it) and that seemed to fix the problem.

I also end up in 2nd gear on some long steep grades. For example we were recently on the "circle" made up of 81, 77, and 64 in Virginia / West Virginia. On 81 we were able to maintain speed but on 77/64 we ended up in 2nd gear a few times.

I wish it were possible to see road maps color coded by road grade.....
Old 09-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Another question... do high elevations contribute to high EGTs? When I was crossing Vail and Loveland passes, I was in 2nd gear doing 40 or 45 and held back by EGTs. Big trucks were crawling along at 10-15 MPH. I have a hard time judging flat ground or how steep a grade really is so I'm not sure if it's because the passes are so steep out there or if the elevation had more to do with it.

I almost had to slow down on a steep grade on I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville today. Almost.
Do you stop at the truck scales?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Posting Guru

bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpzd View Post
The air is much less dense at elevation, so yeah they do tend to run little warm. Though to be honest I've never towed below 6k'
Where do you tow? We towed a 29' Forest River up to Mora County (stayed at the little Inn & RV park in Cleveland) in July. I have family roots in Northern NM. and will probably be spending summers there as soon as I retire.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Junior User

lpzd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought house in Espanola, grew up in pojoaque. My Wife likes to go camping near red river, or penasco area ( trampas trail head) .
I haven't been towards Mora in a looong time, it is really pretty country up there.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Posting Guru

bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpzd View Post
Just bought house in Espanola, grew up in pojoaque. My Wife likes to go camping near red river, or penasco area ( trampas trail head) .
I haven't been towards Mora in a looong time, it is really pretty country up there.
Oh nice, my cousin lives in Espanola. My great grandparents came from the Penasco area and moved to Chacon before 1879.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Do you stop at the truck scales?
Do you mean Cat scales or weigh stations?

Only if I want to weigh my rig, and no I don't.