1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well hell my dipstick flange nut came loose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:56 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Well hell my dipstick flange nut came loose!

Heading back up to get the last load of antique tractors from the show and something seemed funny. 2 miles later turn into a side Road less power. Pull over. Oil everywhere. Shut it down. Nut completely unthreaded.

Get it on and tighten as best I could with a pair of channelocks one size too small. Dump in a gallon of oil. Now it is just on the stick. Start it and sounds good. Still leaking.

Called a buddy to see if he can get me. Yep sure but his wife is not happy. Something about him going to Texas at 7 am for work for a week..... Give him directions hoping he makes it since he has no sense of direction.

Obs 7.3 stops. Talk to him. He doesn't have anything better for tools on him but lives a mile down the road. Drop the trailer on the side of the road. Drive to his farm and got some better fitting pliers. Either I got too heavy handed or I cross threaded it. Stripped the nut. The flange threads look good.

Drive back to the trailer and sit intersection so my buddy doesn't miss it. Hook my trailer to his truck and get mine loaded. In the end it turned out as best as it probably could have. Pictures to follow when the sun comes up. Time to read up on the dipstick flange. Hoping a new nut and o-rings will fix it.

Feel free to point me in the right direction while I'm searching the forum.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:27 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Level Gauge Adapter Repair Kit for 1994 - 2003

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/dipstikflange.pdf
See the big boxed NOTE at the very bottom. You may have bent the inner flange.

I would get the kit, and use it, but don't expect it to really work. I could never get the o-ring in place properly. Do the best you can with this kit, and then just paint it with a ton of the Motorcraft grey sealant. As in completely encase the whole adapter and threads with it. It will be ugly, but that's the best way to ensure it doesn't leak again.

Also, change the dipstick o-ring. They don't seem to seal when re-used.
Dipstick Tube Seal (o-ring)

Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks. Will try to get it locally tomorrow. New O-ring and nut with a bunch of goop is fine by me.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Thanks. Will try to get it locally tomorrow. New O-ring and nut with a bunch of goop is fine by me.
I don't think you can get it locally. I believe that Diesel O-rings puts that kit together themselves. It might take a lot of running around to try to piece it together. Also, whatever you do , do NOT attempt to remove the outer nut without that bore brush or similar firmly inserted in the dipstick hole. If you do, the inner adapter will fall in the pan, and then you're pulling the motor. Trust me, its a real butt clencher, even with that brush; given the consequences of failure.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
If that kit does not work, there was one linked from Ebay for ~$100 that is pretty much a copy of what the $300 repair kit a couple of weeks ago. I tried to look for it, but could not locate it.

You may have better luck though.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:49 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Nut is already off. It was off going down the road. Need to get something on it good. Possibly grind a pair of vice grips special??? Not much to hold onto. Will be calling the 2 Ford dealers to see if they have parts on hand. Not looking forward to pulling out the dipstick tube. Wonder if I can bend the dipstick bracket and install a new nut to hold the flange to remove the tube...

Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
If that kit does not work, there was one linked from Ebay for ~$100 that is pretty much a copy of what the $300 repair kit a couple of weeks ago. I tried to look for it, but could not locate it.

You may have better luck though.
Been sold out for a couple weeks. I messaged him a couple days afterward questioning whether or not he was going to build more but I haven't heard back.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Been sold out for a couple weeks. I messaged him a couple days afterward questioning whether or not he was going to build more but I haven't heard back.
Bummer...

I just saw your signature and thought it was pretty good.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Found 2 different sellers on ebay. Messaged both. One said out of stock working on a new design. No response from the other yet. Local dealer will have the nut and inside pan o-ring in the morning. Said the little one only comes with the dipstick now. Ill use one out of my assortment for that.

Any recommendations for sealant? Saw some motorcraft stuff...

I do not know if I bent the inside piece. I hope not. I plan to drain the oil and clean everything, pray I don't loose the flange, put vicegrips on the flange as the nut is already off and stripped, pull the dipstick tube out, put in a new o-ring and goop it up on the outside. what about putting some on the inside? Let it dry then dump oil back in and see what happens.

I know it was not leaking the day before as I have had a leak at the drainbolt. I replaced it with a fumoto valve and was looking at it and it was dry. on the good news my truck is ready for winter with a rust preventative coating trailer too!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Found someone in the OBS forum that had some for sale. Fingers crossed. Should fit but not tried on a newer truck yet.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-repair.html

Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Any recommendations for sealant? Saw some motorcraft stuff...
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
^^^ that is the stuff. Wish it was available in a resealable tube

Old 09-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
^^^ that is the stuff. Wish it was available in a resealable tube
Doesn't always work, but I have found that if you find a wood screw that fits very tightly into the nozzle that you cut open you can screw it down about 1/2 way. Then I take some wrapping tape and wrap the joint between the screw and the nozzle and it usually stays fresh for a good while.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I know $300 is a lot of coin, but what about the golden nugget? At least it's fixed once and done...just thinking out loud.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I know $300 is a lot of coin, but what about the golden nugget? At least it's fixed once and done...just thinking out loud.
This? Driven Diesel Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit 94-03 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Hoping to fix it tomorrow and haul the last tractor and my camper home Saturday. I can use my friends truck for the tractor but would rather not. We drove home 40-45 towing my truck. It did ok but overloaded. Looking at the others as a backup plan including the 300 dollar option.

Really do not want the old one bouncing in the pan.

Quick Reply: Well hell my dipstick flange nut came loose!