UOA on oil, let's start with Valvoline - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

UOA on oil, let's start with Valvoline

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UOA on oil, let's start with Valvoline

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks good. Was this CJ-4 or CK-4? I had an oil changed away from home on a towing trip and bought PBX CK-4. Ford Quick Lane in Richmond VA refused to do it as it was their policy to not use customer supplied oil, but they had no 5W40 specified for towing and said they would have to order it after I had just spent $100 on the PBX. Had them change fuel filters and crossed the street to Midas for the oil change.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Looks good. Was this CJ-4 or CK-4? I had an oil changed way from home on a towing trip and bought PBX CK-4. Ford Quick Lane in Richmond VA refused to do it as it was their policy to not use customer supplied oil, but they had no 5W40 specified for towing and said they would have to order it after I had just spent $100 on the PBX. Had them change fuel filters and crossed the street to Midas for the oil change.
This was CJ-4.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
40k on the clock, this oil change was about 50/50 towing 18k toy hauler

Old 12-08-2017, 04:26 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Jim, is your Rotella T6 the CK-4 or CJ-4 formulation? I'm guessing it's CK-4 since your phosphorus is almost 200 points lower than the universal average which is probably mostly CJ-4. I've been watching these reports to see how much lower the phosphorus is on the CK-4 formulation.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:38 PM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Jim, is your Rotella T6 the CK-4 or CJ-4 formulation? I'm guessing it's CK-4 since your phosphorus is almost 200 points lower than the universal average which is probably mostly CJ-4. I've been watching these reports to see how much lower the phosphorus is on the CK-4 formulation.
Pretty sure the oil is the exact same formula with those, it just got approved for the Ford list, so got the additional stamp placed on it.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 AM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I believe it was the old CK-4. I didn't learn about this issue until after I had changed the oil with the T6 on the above mentioned report. This change I used Motorcraft Synthetic 5W40. I might stick with the Motorcraft, havent decided yet... I still have about 5,000 miles to figure it out...

Old 12-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just got my latest oil analysis back from Blackstone. This engine is shaping up nicely. I did have about 1,000 of these miles as towing miles. I have a 10,000 lb travel trailer.

Pretty happy so far with the AMSOIL (which meets the F1 standard) and how well the analysis c

ame back.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM
displacement4me
Elder User
displacement4me is a name known to alldisplacement4me is a name known to alldisplacement4me is a name known to alldisplacement4me is a name known to alldisplacement4me is a name known to alldisplacement4me is a name known to all
Is anyone from Canada doing any oil analysis with Blackstone?

I'm coming up on 98K kilometers, which means I'll break 100k on this oil change. I've documented every oil change so I'd have to pull up the specifics but I did an oil change with T5 at roughly 2500kms, and have been using T6 every oil change after, at intervals between 8-11k. I'd like to know how I've been shaping up, especially since I've been using the old Rotella formulation up until recent as I was buying them by the box of 3.

Mechanically, my 6.7 is strong and has been reliable! It would be nice to know if the oil can tell me the same thing.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM
roadrunner01
Senior User
roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was reading through some of the posted UOA's and I wondered are you guys really changing oil as soon as 4,500 mi.-5,500 mi.? If so is the IOLM instructing you to do so?

On my '15 I follow the IOLM and it generally takes me to 9,500 mi.-10,000 mi. I run 10w-30 and pull a UOA at every OC. I am somewhat surprised reading what has been posted as my wear numbers are much lower than any UOA here.

I am unable to scan and post, but I can share a link to my latest UOA,https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...owerstroke_UOA

Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just by looking at the phosphorus I would guess that John Deere oil does not meet the new F1 standard from Ford.

On new engines I change it out a but early for the first few changes. The one I’m currently on I will go 7,000.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 PM
roadrunner01
Senior User
roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Deere oil is still CJ-4

Old 12-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
I hear ya. Just not all CJ-4’s meet the F1 specs. Your wear metals look good....especially if the testing facility is using methods comparable to Blackstone.

Phosphorus is an anti wear additive and ford increased this level due to additional wear I believe in the valves. So keep an eye on those related metals at a min.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM
roadrunner01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55 View Post
I hear ya. Just not all CJ-4ís meet the F1 specs. Your wear metals look good....especially if the testing facility is using methods comparable to Blackstone.

Phosphorus is an anti wear additive and ford increased this level due to additional wear I believe in the valves. So keep an eye on those related metals at a min.

All CJ-4 oil meets the Ford spec, its the CK-4 lube that has to meet the newer F1 spec from Ford.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:55 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by roadrunner01 View Post
I was reading through some of the posted UOA's and I wondered are you guys really changing oil as soon as 4,500 mi.-5,500 mi.? If so is the IOLM instructing you to do so?
Yes, I do. No the IOLM does not notify me at these intervals. I change every 5000 miles because I tow a trailer daily with my truck which by following the diesel supplement manual puts me in the severe duty service intervals. My UOA will be higher than others because my motor is still breaking in, currently at 12,000 miles.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Bugize
Senior User
Bugize is starting off with a positive reputation.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that Ford increased the desirable level. I think the EPA reduced the Phos levels allowable,claiming cat converter damage, and the ck-4 oils have reduced Phos levels and Ford isn't happy with the amount??? They would like to see above 1000ppm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UOA on oil, let's start with Valvoline

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: