Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The rebirth of 56 and creation of "How low"

Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Damage truck
New User
Damage truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Next job was making brackets to mount the air tanks, I decided at this stage that hiding the air tanks under the cab sides would be a neat location.

At the same time I did this I started manufacturing more cross members that would ultimately hold tail shaft loops.

This is where things went a little sideways on me and the grinder decided it wanted to eat my arm. Whats a good car story without someone getting hurt, up till this stage I had been at the workshop by myself most of the time so I was lucky to have my nephew there to drive to hospital for a patch up.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Damage truck
New User
So after my arm got better I decided I was at a point where I need to start thinking about motor and gear box placement so I could finalize all my cross members and start lining every thing up, I was going to freshen up the motor that came with the truck but seeing how everything else I had from started from scratch it seemed the right thing to do this with the motor and gear box as well.

So off to my local engine shop and a brand new Dart block and internals was loaded into my truck to start the engine build.

First off a dry assembly to make sure all the machining work was spot on.

After a few adjustments everything was sent off to the machine shop again for final balancing and then onto the proper assembly. But first lets get some color on this baby. I decided on a translucent blue as close to ford blue as I could get.

Then the final assembly.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 PM
EBEAR
Posting Guru
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
What engine are you using ?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 AM
Damage truck
New User
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
What engine are you using ?
351 Windsor stroked to 412ci

Old 09-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Aloha-boy has a good reputation on FTE.Aloha-boy has a good reputation on FTE.
Looking super so far, cept the injury!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 PM
zagamuffin
Freshman User
zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.zagamuffin has a good reputation on FTE.
Great work, good pointers for me on chassis mods

Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 PM
EBEAR
Posting Guru
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Damage truck View Post
351 Windsor stroked to 412ci
Cool hoping their great mine is 408 .

Old 09-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to allGreg Rogers is a name known to all
Wow great work!!

Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM
fordslut
Senior User
fordslut has a great reputation on FTE.fordslut has a great reputation on FTE.fordslut has a great reputation on FTE.fordslut has a great reputation on FTE.fordslut has a great reputation on FTE.
what a great work space. it looks likes your having fun that's for sure,

Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Damage truck
New User
ok so time for another update. after the arm got better and the engine assembly was all finished it was time to start checking all my work and measurements before I got too advanced with final weld up.

So this is about the final stance that I want when this thing is slammed. The wheel is for mock up purpose only its a 22 with about the right overall diameter that I will be running but thats where the similarities end.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Damage truck
New User
Now time to fit the trans to the engine, brand new unit for this too.

Then time to fit it in the chassis.

So about now I decided I didnt like the cross members that I had previously tacked in place so I cut them all back out and re manufactured some nicer looking units.

Then I started bolting all the front suspension, brakes etc in place.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Damage truck
New User
So after I changed my mind on the chassis rails I also decided I would change my mind on the air tank placement, primarily this came about because I couldn't mount my compressors in the location I wanted to so now I've decided I'm going to have the floor of the tray tilt on an electric actuator so I can raise it up and see all the detail on the chassis.

I also decided to change the air bags and how I was going to mount them so I decided to go with Airride units.

So this is the way things will roughly look under the tray.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Damage truck
New User
I decided that I would make my own wiring harnesses to keep everything neat and I also decided that I would hold everything down with some neat billet aluminium brackets. Im really happy with how this is all going together.

You can see here I even used the same type of brackets to hold the stainless steel brake lines in place.

The air lines for the suspension are black stainless steel braid and held in with the same billet clamps too.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM
The Outlaw
Senior User
The Outlaw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice looking build! Love the details and all of the braided lines. For me it's always the Devil is in the details. With that maybe I could offer one suggestion? Perhaps replace the Phillips head bolts that are holding down the hose clamps with an allen head bolt? Perhaps a button style allen head? I know may just just me but when ever I see a phillips screw I just always feel it lessons the overall look.

I don't mean to Poo Poo your build at ALL! Like I said the small details are something that I look at and those just jumped out at me. Again please feel free to tell me to STFU.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Damage truck
New User
Originally Posted by The Outlaw View Post
Nice looking build! Love the details and all of the braided lines. For me it's always the Devil is in the details. With that maybe I could offer one suggestion? Perhaps replace the Phillips head bolts that are holding down the hose clamps with an allen head bolt? Perhaps a button style allen head? I know may just just me but when ever I see a phillips screw I just always feel it lessons the overall look.

I don't mean to Poo Poo your build at ALL! Like I said the small details are something that I look at and those just jumped out at me. Again please feel free to tell me to STFU.

Thanks for that yes I agree the Phillips head aren't nice, I have nice button head Allen screws that I have all polished up, I won't put them in till final assembly so the screws are temporary. But thanks I appreciate the feed back no doubt as the photos show the build is evolving as a I go so new ideas are always good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The rebirth of 56 and creation of "How low"

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.