1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Irma

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Denny talked to dad, we have a spot for your rig next to his shop, should be no worries here hopefully of big storm impacts, probably just wind/rain. We plan on moving the 8BA across the street so you can help supervise! 6 arms is always better than 4.

JB

Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck all you in Florida! This is a huge storm with high winds unlike Harvey that just moved really slow with tons of rain but not much wind after it ravaged Rockport. And, flooding is really bad for water supply, sewers overflow, all kinds of oils and gas in the water from flooded gas stations, businesses, etc. To top that off there were several toxic waste dumps that flood water went through here in Harvey. I had lots of water in every container I had in the house in our freezers and refrigerators. I even took beer out of the fridge to allow more cold water! Take care Firstrider and all in Irma's path!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:57 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I live in hudson,florida.on the west coast about 30 miles north of clearwater.so far we have been pretty lucky,just some rain.we were going to evacuate but things seem like a lot of it is headed to the east.so for now we are staying.i wonder what some of the other floridians are doing.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB
I live in hudson,florida.on the west coast about 30 miles north of clearwater.so far we have been pretty lucky,just some rain.we were going to evacuate but things seem like a lot of it is headed to the east.so for now we are staying.i wonder what some of the other floridians are doing.
Yesterday the track indicated landfall around Naples, that is 50 miles South of were I live. Today tracks indicate Miami. Who knows what tomorrow will be. If you were to try to leave now, were would you go? Our neighbors left last night and drove all night to Savannah Georgia. Now it looks like the storm might be heading there after taking a swipe at FL. Fl has basically 1 evacuation road for the West Coast, I-75.
I am boarding up and staying. If it decides to change course my plans could change. Public Shelter?

Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
To all our Southern FTE friends, be safe and please communicate as i'm sure there are folks on here willing to help. Praying for you guys, hoping for the best possible outcome...take care, we'll see you on the other side.
w

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Painey
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB
Hi Bob, we are riding it out as well, hopefully it will go east and give us a break, but if the track changes we will be gone, truck fuelled up.

This is our first hurricane and very concerned!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck to all of you Floridians (and eastern coast residents as well).

Being a 4th Generation BOI from Texas and weathering many hurricanes as well as losing everything in Ike, I understand your situation very well and am praying that it turns much farther east.

As far as the OP joking about whose hurricane is bigger and badder, I will gladly settle for "smaller" any day when it comes to a Hurricanes.

Be Safe!!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I live in Mims, FL which is near Kennedy Space Center on the east coast. Latest track is Irma coming up through Florida from Miami and popping out around Melbourne. Even if it tracks farther out, it's still bad news for somebody. I have friends in Savannah, GA, and Beaufort, SC, and they are evacuating inland. My wife is going to North Georgia with a woman and her young daughter, plus our dogs. I am planning to stay here, or at most, evac to a friends house ~40 miles inland in Sanford, FL.

On the water, I agree on filling up containers. It seems every time this happens, bottled water is one of the first things to go. It makes no sense to me; I just keep old containers (the recent ones we were going to throw in the recycle bin), clean them out, and fill and freeze. I also have a generator as I have a well, so no power = no water.

Gas is almost gone. I went out yesterday early - like 0530 - and got gas in the truck and 35 gallons of generator gas in containers. I went back to the same station today and already less than half the pumps have gas (I was going to top off the truck). My generator burns 10 gallons a day if running full time and supplies enough power to run lights, refrigerator, microwave, outlets for this and that, and a small AC window unit that I keep for hurricanes only.

I live in a fairly small community, and it's already getting crazy. I can't imagine what it's like in Orlando. I'll put as much as I can in the garages, then park the trucks sideways in front of the garage doors (2). That system works pretty well, or has in the past. No mandatory evac for us - yet.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:06 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm praying for you all, this storm scares me so much, and all I can do is lay here and watch the news like everybody else. Please be carful all of you , and may God bless and keep you all safe. The only useful idea I have is to maybe scan and upload your important documents and photos, email them to yourself to keep them safe, That way if need be they can be retrieved after this is over.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My sis and her hubby just finished boarding up their and their MIL's homes. They live about a mile west of the Deering Estate on Biscayne Bay and are under mandatory evac. They'll be heading about 12 miles NW and riding it out in the same relative's home they did during Andrew.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 3twinridges
Denny talked to dad, we have a spot for your rig next to his shop, should be no worries here hopefully of big storm impacts, probably just wind/rain. We plan on moving the 8BA across the street so you can help supervise! 6 arms is always better than 4.

JB
Getting out of town was an option until the local 10 pm news last night . Turnpike & 95 were parking lots .
So we are here to endure the storm . JB thanks a lot . It was so very appreciated . Almost ready . A few shutters to install after we get in the house . Garage door vertical braces to attach . Strap down the carport roof & canoe .Buddy was here around noon & took all coolers to get free ice . Taking wife's car to his house tonight & will put it in the enclosed car trailer . He then will park it close across the front of his double car garage door . Went to Lowes & it was a zoo . People buying steel roofing panels for storm shutters & tons of play sand in bags . WOW This is going to be interesting

Old 09-07-2017, 04:39 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I had a vehicle delivered today via shipper and the driver told me Interstate 75 northbound south of Ocala was a parking lot. I am close to US 19 and it is carrying very heavy traffic northbound.
Yes, I had a new project delivered but it is not a truck.
I am hunkered down in place.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ray you still have to post a picture. Heck you let me on this forum and you all even help me. Post a pic

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Terrible Tom" Terry - weather expert on WFTV 9 in Orlando just said the track has shifted west so it will come up through Orlando. That's bad bad bad! Although it might abate the storm a little bit vs staying near or off the coast. They always say the east side of the storm is the worst; I'm about to find out!

My wife is heading to Georgia tomorrow and I need to route her up some kinda way to get around the traffic - if that's possible. Any Central/North Florida folks have an idea? My first thought was to get her on 19, but raytasch said that was heavy northbound, so looking for options I can program into her gps.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by fljab
"Terrible Tom" Terry - weather expert on WFTV 9 in Orlando just said the track has shifted west so it will come up through Orlando. That's bad bad bad! Although it might abate the storm a little bit vs staying near or off the coast. They always say the east side of the storm is the worst; I'm about to find out!

My wife is heading to Georgia tomorrow and I need to route her up some kinda way to get around the traffic - if that's possible. Any Central/North Florida folks have an idea? My first thought was to get her on 19, but raytasch said that was heavy northbound, so looking for options I can program into her gps.
If you are in Mims, you are probably directing your wife up Florida State Route 19 thru the center of the state where I mention US 19 that runs N-S along the west coast. I have lived in Florida most of my long life and every time an evacuation is mentioned, the north south roads become parking lots. There is just no easy way out of FL during these times. Sorry to bring you bad news. However she goes, stress to her the importance of keeping an eye on the fuel supply. Fuel lines are long over here on the west coast and some stations are out.

Quick Reply: Irma