Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

APIM MFT replaced, battery saver shutdown - BMS reset or reprogram?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
terrymargate is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi

I have a 2014 F350 super duty 6.7 powerstroke.

Unfortunately last year, I sunk it in Miami harbor whilst pulling my jet ski out (brake pad fell out and truck slid into the sea, was underwater for a few hours)

Its taken me over a year to fix in my spare time. I bought a crashed donot truck and took all the electronics from that, plust swapped out the main wiring harnesses etc to avoid future corrosion problems.

Truck is almost finished now, but I've hit a stumbling block with MFT and audio/navigation. I replaced the touchscreen and the APIN behind it, fired them up, comes on fine, but within 5 seconds or so, message appears BATTERY SAVER, SYSTEM OFF and a timer bar runs along the screen before shutting it down.

I understand this can be linked to Battery Management System and it closes down accessories to save power if battery low. Strange thing is, even if I start the engine, same thing happems. (message is supposed to go away with vehicle running)

I had another APIM and touchscreen here that I bought before buying the donor truck, tried that, same result.

Batteries are both good (they have been replaced) showing 12.8v in IDS

I'm thinking may be one of 2 things responsible

1) BMS needs to be reset in the BCM. There are differing views on this online. Problem is I cannot reset it, I have clone VCM2 and IDS but there is no option to reset the BMS, I also have forscan with a different pass thru adapter, again no option to reset the BMS. Not really sure if its worth me buying a diagnostic tool that can reset it, if it turns out to be something else.

2) Some say the APIM needs to be reprogrammed to the vehicle, but I have also ready of many who buy a used unit of ebay, plug into their ford and it either works fine or one of the steering controls does not work etc.

I'd be very grateful for some pointers here, I am happy to pay if someone can help solve it, either online via remote login or local to west plam beach Florida.

any and all suggestions welcome :-)

Old 09-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Sounds like you need to have the BCM loaded with the as-built data. I would assume you need to use the donor truck AB data. The same goes for the APIM.

You can program most of it yourself with FORScan and an OBDII adapter that can access both the HS-CAN and MS-CAN.

Personally, I prefer a laptop and a usb ELM327 adapter with the HS/MS bus switch

I prefer this style of adapter with laptop, others may have their own preferences.

High Speed to 500kbit ELM327 V1.5 Modified with Chip HS-CAN/MS-CAN OBD2 Scanner | eBay

The above adapter is in China. You might can find one on Amazon or eBay in USA for higher price.

You can download the AB data here for the vehicles.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Here is a link to the 6.7 Forum and parameters within the AB data. There is a link to the spreadsheet with changes one can make such as the Diesel Exhaust Filter Screen (Ghost Screen) etc.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...lt-data-6.html

Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...AtI/edit#gid=0

Old 09-04-2017, 10:09 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Thnaks for such a detailed response, it was very helpful

I went though all the instructions, programmed both BCM and APIM to as built from the donor f250 and ended up with the same result

I also found a setting on another site for the BMS enable disable, seems it is disabled on my truck by default (though I'm still seeing BATTERY SAVER SYSTEM SHUTDOWN) message :-)

Not sure what to try next, one other point, may not be relevant, neither my IDS for forscan detects the FCIM, DSP, or the ACM, I'm thinking its because the are on the multimedia canbus

I have no errors in the APIM or the BCM

am willing to try any other ideas

Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Have solved this headache at last.

After working through the suggestions above, and using a process of elimination, it dawned on me that the problem likely lied within the multimedia CAN netoerk (I Can). I saw that all the affected units communicated on Ican using the IPS as the gateway.

I had another cluster lying around, plugged it in and hey presto, all the previously missing modules appeared on the network and better still the MFT system came alive and stayed alive, no more battery saver messages.

Thanks to Just Strokin for the advice and help steering me to the solution

I hope this helps someone in future if they encounter the same problem.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Happy was able to give you the right nudges so you could solve the problems.

What was the difference in the two clusters? Any physical differences or maybe the way they are programmed?