Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

After 17 years, how to attach radiator rubber holder

Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
After 17 years, how to attach radiator rubber holder

I am finally in the process of finally putting on that piece of rubber that hangs from the hood meant to deflect air into the radiator..... and I think it keeps bugs out of the engine compartment. I have had the rubber piece since 1999 when I got my truck fixed up but the new hood I used didn't have the channel for the rubber to slip into.

A local sheet metal place is making the piece for me. They already made the piece to hold the cab to running board seal for me. It is the same rubber piece.

So what is the best way to attach the strip to the flange on the underside of the hood that the rubber piece slides into? Pop rivets or self tapping screws? The piece on my 55 is held on by those big Staples Ford used. I don't have a big stapler! Ha ha.

This is the piece I mean.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
Bump to the top! Screws? Rivets? Adhesive?

Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
There may have been staples to hold the rubber in place but the "C" channel is held on to the lip on the hood via spot welds. Surprised to hear a purist ask "what is the best way", the question is always "how did Henry do it". If it were me I would use panel adhesive, stronger than weld and a lot less messy.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 AM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
Best way

Are there two steps with the install, fastening the rubber to the bracket and bracket to truck Abe?

I would rivet rubber to bracket using adhesive and rivets with washers.

Bracket to truck, I would probaly machine screw with self tappers, but what do I know?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I had to take that piece of rubber out on mine, the hood wouldn't close the rubber was so stiff..

Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 AM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tip49 View Post
Are there two steps with the install, fastening the rubber to the bracket and bracket to truck Abe?

I would rivet rubber to bracket using adhesive and rivets with washers.

Bracket to truck, I would probaly machine screw with self tappers, but what do I know?
The bracket or holder is fastened to the underside of the hood first. There is a flange that sticks down that it attaches to. Then you slide the rubber into the C-channel.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Mine had staples. Not sure what kind of gun that would have been . . . pretty heavy duty I would think. Not something I have. I would punch holes in it with a hole punch and attach with aluminum rivets/washers or sheet metal screws with washers. I say aluminum rivets because you don't want to compress the rubber too much.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
There may have been staples to hold the rubber in place but the "C" channel is held on to the lip on the hood via spot welds. Surprised to hear a purist ask "what is the best way", the question is always "how did Henry do it". If it were me I would use panel adhesive, stronger than weld and a lot less messy.
You are right Charlie. I looked more closely to the rubber on my 55. It looked like the staples were going through the rubber and the C Channel and the flange but it wasn't. I looked and saw there were about 6 spot welds holding the C-channel to the flange. I really don't think you need staples to hold the rubber into the C-channel if it fits tight enough or use weatherstrip adhesive if you have to.

This week I'll go see my body man to see if he has a little panel adhesive to spare.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
jvmcc
Elder User
jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.
I recall staples. I tried to install this piece on my "53, but like 56panelford, I couldn't get the hood to close with it on. I know that this piece (as it was sent to me from one of the repop parts vendors) is the exact same rubber extrusion as the pieces that hang from the cab and close the gap between the cab and the running boards. I'm sort of wondering it the original piece was maybe a little different. Or, at least, not quite so stiff.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Senior User
41505379 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 50 Ford, I made staples out of electric fence wire, steel with thin galvanized coating. I used a couple of pliers and used the original holes in the sheet metal. They are the same size and thickness of the original with the same curves. In my restoration work, I amazed myself and rate that particular job as a 10. I got the rubber stuff from Denis Carpenter. That was 20 years ago.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:46 PM
abe
Post Fiend
The rubber on my 55 is stuff but it is curled, apparently where it hits the top of the radiator. The piece I've had since 1999 is soft and pliable.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jvmcc View Post
I recall staples. I tried to install this piece on my "53, but like 56panelford, I couldn't get the hood to close with it on. I know that this piece (as it was sent to me from one of the repop parts vendors) is the exact same rubber extrusion as the pieces that hang from the cab and close the gap between the cab and the running boards. I'm sort of wondering it the original piece was maybe a little different. Or, at least, not quite so stiff.
Yes, it is the same piece as the cab to RB rubber. My repopped piece looks just like the original one on my 55.