Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 questions re: shocks

Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM
GoldCo
Elder User
GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question 2 questions re: shocks

found a (seemingly) good deal on a pair of front shocks for the '52.

they're listed for stock replacement, but ad doesn't include the compressed/extended measurements: if i've removed every other leaf from these (F3) front packs, i'm guessing these should still be okay?

also: these are hydraulic shocks not gas-charged -- what would be the difference in ride characteristics?

thanks.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
In my experience good deals rarely are. If it were me I would get your fully extended and compressed measurements and find a shock that works. http://www.monroe.com/downloads/inst...ifications.pdf

I read somewhere that gas shocks shouldn't be used on our old trucks. Seems like it was on one of the spring manufacturers sites.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:17 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I'm running high-pressure gas shocks on the front, no problem. I doubt they make much difference compared to regular shocks. Friction in the leaves provides a lot of damping.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Posie's recommends Bilstein gas shocks. They improved the ride on my truck significantly.

Since you have softened up your suspension you need a shock that will better control the increased compression and rebound of your axles.

-

Old 09-03-2017, 08:50 PM
1948Dev
Junior User
1948Dev has a good reputation on FTE.1948Dev has a good reputation on FTE.
I've got Viking double adjustables on mine. Made a world of difference in the handling dynamics.

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:38 AM
CBeav
Elder User
CBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to beholdCBeav is a splendid one to behold
Gas charged shocks only exist to control foaming in the shock as they warm up.
Regarding lengths... Since you've reduced the ride height the springs will bottom against the strike-out bumpers earlier than they did, sparing the shock being used as a bumper - a good thing for the shock. Hopefully there will be enough travel room left as to not be a continuous issue while driving (hitting the strike-out bumpers often.) The rebound length will remain the same. Think of it as the truck being loaded when it was at stock height. The only other thing to watch is how much it affected the level of the drag link. If it changed much from level it could cause a bit of bump steer.
Regarding the shocks you're looking at - most aftermarket shocks come from several manufacturers and are painted/labeled different but their part numbers are usually similar to the original manufacturer. Try googling the part numbers and see what comes up, maybe have to change/drop a letter or two from the prefix/suffix.