95 5.8L Exhaust and Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 PM
blderman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 5.8L Exhaust and Cat

Hey guys,

Just picked up a '95 Bronco XLT, 4wd auto with the 5.8L. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt but stopped short of completing the exhaust system and emission control systems. It currently has shorty headers with no exhaust, the smog pump is not hooked up to anything and neither is the EGR system. Looking for suggestions on the cheapest way to get this thing up and running again. My first thought was to buy manifolds, cat and walker exhaust to complete it all myself. However, the parts added up to more than I expected and I can't find good info on how to piece the smog pump and egr back together. Would appreciate any input, I would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic but I have a feeling that might have to happen. I should also note that this will be used strictly for a snow plow rig/hunting so it will not see a lot of use for 9 months of the year.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
Do you have emissions test to pass? If so do they include a visual inspection? If not then there is no need for the air pump and all the plumbing attached to it. You can still put aftermarket cats on it of you like but it's not necessary for correct engine operation.. that just requires an O2 sensor in the exhaust header. Then have a muffler shop fab up an exhaust of some type to connect to the headers and weld a fitting on the front header tube for the EGR, the female side of another EGR tube makes a good fitting for this.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 PM
blderman
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Do you have emissions test to pass? If so do they include a visual inspection? If not then there is no need for the air pump and all the plumbing attached to it. You can still put aftermarket cats on it of you like but it's not necessary for correct engine operation.. that just requires an O2 sensor in the exhaust header. Then have a muffler shop fab up an exhaust of some type to connect to the headers and weld a fitting on the front header tube for the EGR, the female side of another EGR tube makes a good fitting for this.

No emissions testing where I am at. Will have the smog pump hoses disconnected throw a CEL? Can I leave smog pump ports open? Sounds like your idea would definitely be the cheapest. If I can find the right exhaust setup I might even be able to do it without the help of an exhaust shop.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hook up the egr. the proper 351w headers should have the egr tube port located on the front header tube. if this is missing then you have the wrong headers installed.

you can unhook all the smog pump hoses. you can also remove the cross over tube running between the back of the heads and plug them with an appropriate size bolt (sorry forget what size). keep the wiring harness hooked up to the tab/tad sensors and unhook/cap those vacuum lines. Keep the egr intact and hooked up with vacuum line running from the upper intake.

have an exhaust shop build you a new custom y pipe 2.5" all mandrel bent into a single 3" hi flow cat and run 3" exhaust to a muffler of your choice out stock location.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM
blderman
New User
Thanks for the help! I dropped it off at the local exhaust shop this morning and am going to let them handle it.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
you can also remove the cross over tube running between the back of the heads and plug them with an appropriate size bolt (sorry forget what size)
Actually that is more of a requirement than an option, this tube connect directly to the exhaust ports in the heads so there can be no fresh air getting in here as it is upstream of the O2 sensor. 5/8" x 1" coarse thread bolts with copper washers is what's required to seal them up.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the high flow cat doesnt need the fresh air injected from the smog pump like the stock unit did.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
the high flow cat doesnt need the fresh air injected from the smog pump like the stock unit did.
Correct.. I had a couple of them overheat and fall apart before I clued in that the air injection was the cause.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
blderman
New User
Alright guys, finally got my rig back and the new exhaust sounds really nice. However the mechanic said he could not find the wiring for the o2 sensor anywhere and the egr system is missing a bunch of parts. It seems to run fine but I am concerned about problems once I start snow plowing in a few weeks. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
get that o2 hooked up. did the shop at least put in an o2 sensor bung? of course the egr system needs dealt with as well. keep us posted.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
blderman
New User
get that o2 hooked up. did the shop at least put in an o2 sensor bung? of course the egr system needs dealt with as well. keep us posted.
Yup, I had them put in a bung. Do you know where the wiring came from on the factory harness? I can’t find any info so I don’t even know where to start looking.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
its over by the starter if i recall. would have to climb under my rig to be exact

Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM
blderman
New User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Thank you. However I had already looked above the transmission and its not there. I am at a loss as to where to find it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
Peel back the wire loom to see if the connector was cut off the wires. They are most likely still in the bundle. The 4 O2 wires on my old 1992 F350 w/5.8L engine were actually folded back on themselves inside the loom. When I needed to extend them to accommodate a different mounting location all I had to do was cut the tape around the loop, pull out what I needed, then re-wrapped everything.

Quick Reply: 95 5.8L Exhaust and Cat