Towing with a Raptor - realistic weights

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how your SuperDuty did with a load behind it, but mine was down to 7mpg with the big fifth wheel (19k) and 9 with my enclosed trailer at 10k...
I'll be looking again at air spring options and Timbren.. That might be the answer to the bobbing/pogoing effect you were tslking about..

Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Green Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear the Raptor handles the trailer well!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I don't know how your SuperDuty did with a load behind it, but mine was down to 7mpg with the big fifth wheel (19k) and 9 with my enclosed trailer at 10k...
I'll be looking again at air spring options and Timbren.. That might be the answer to the bobbing/pogoing effect you were tslking about..
The Super Duty seemed to do a little better on fuel...13mpg with this same load. It just never seemed to work as hard.

At this point, I won't be towing any more weight ever with the Raptor...so I'm not going to buy the Timbren air springs. I just don't want to mess up the magic carpet ride quality or suspension articulation.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by troverman
The Super Duty seemed to do a little better on fuel...13mpg with this same load. It just never seemed to work as hard.

At this point, I won't be towing any more weight ever with the Raptor...so I'm not going to buy the Timbren air springs. I just don't want to mess up the magic carpet ride quality or suspension articulation.
I guess it is pretty hard to justify fixing something that just isn't broken...

I'm still a bit miffed at why Ford seems to think 8k is a reasonable trailer weight for this truck when it clearly has the capability of more without hammering it into the ground..

Old 09-29-2017, 04:59 PM
GSDSROK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on a waiting list and should be ordering a Raptor in a month or 2. I have been towing 8-9000+ lb trailers first with a 2000 Navigator and now with a 2013 Navigator. A little nervous about the Raptor but I will make it work. Some comments, 7 mpg is rather common with my current setup. Be careful when using WD hitch. I saw a comment about perhaps taking it up one more link. My experience if you take it up too much you can get rear wheel skidding when stopping. Not enough weight on the back wheels. I have used many brands of WD hitches and it is one of those lesser of all evils things. I have settled on the Equal-i-zer system. Will not go into it here but if anyone has questions let me know. Now the last subject, why is the capacity soooo low!. an Engineer friend of mine talked about it a bit. The 2017/8 comes with a HO engine but the same drive train as a F-150. Ford tests drivetrains for what they can handle and the expected life of components. They may not be comfortable with someone towing 12k lbs with an HO engine up a steep hill in 2nd or 3rd gear. It may be more torque than the drivetrain was designed for. Moral of that story, just be a little gentle when towing heavy loads On a positive note, I cant wait for a 36 gal fuel tank from a 28 in the Navigators. a 200 mile range when towing at 7mpg is horrible

Old 09-29-2017, 05:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I pity anyone towing 8-9k with a 5.4L if any hills were involved...

No worries of taking the rear wheels off the ground with the WD hitch...see my pic, still plenty of squat.

The only thing in common with the F150 is the 10 speed transmission. Engine, transfer case, and rear axle are different.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by troverman
I pity anyone towing 8-9k with a 5.4L if any hills were involved...

No worries of taking the rear wheels off the ground with the WD hitch...see my pic, still plenty of squat.

The only thing in common with the F150 is the 10 speed transmission. Engine, transfer case, and rear axle are different.
....along with different Frame, front suspension, springs, shocks and a whole buncha other things.....

FWIW - I've never had any issues with rear tires of the TV when the bars were too tight, but I have had some wierd front tire wear...

Old 09-30-2017, 05:50 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Frame is essentially an F150 frame. They've added a couple of extra "weldments" is all. I can't find them, though...my dad has a 2016 F150 same wheelbase. Frames seem identical.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
On the frame I was just quoting Ford that it was a Raptor Specific frame.
I'll see if I can relocate the source..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Hmmm... Can't find the specific article but that may be because Ford has updated their Raptor specific website since I started reading about it in 2016.

A couple of articles that I do recall reading were these::

Refreshing or Revolting: 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor
While it may share some elements with the standard 2015 Ford F-150, the new 2017 Raptor builds upon the platform with a purpose-built frame that features more high-strength steel, making it the strongest F-150 in the lineup.

2017 Ford F-150 Raptor In-Depth ? Feature ? Car and Driver
The Raptor’s new boxed steel frame is reinforced from the normal F-150’s and will come in two sizes: the sportier 133-inch-wheelbase SuperCab and the roomier 145-inch SuperCrew. Despite the beefier frame, Ford claims that the new truck’s aluminum body (as well as the composite hood and front *fenders) helps trim 500 pounds from its pred*ecessor’s curb weight. Considering the last Raptor SuperCab we tested weighed 6100 pounds, we’re strongly in favor of the diet.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:17 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Ford claims that the new truck’s aluminum body (as well as the composite hood and front *fenders) helps trim 500 pounds from its pred*ecessor’s curb weight. Considering the last Raptor SuperCab we tested weighed 6100 pounds, we’re strongly in favor of the diet.
That's pretty close... my truck also has the bed extender, tailgate step and bed mat which add some weight. My 2017 SCAB weighs 5620 lbs with a full tank of fuel. I weighed it on the scales @ work.

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I'll see if I can get a weight on mine at the grain scales here in town. Only problem is that I have a topper on it now. I would estimate it to be about 200#.
Thanks for sharing that Nassty (is that your first or last name?)

Old 10-01-2017, 02:16 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll see if I can get a weight on mine at the grain scales here in town. Only problem is that I have a topper on it now. I would estimate it to be about 200#.
Thanks for sharing that Nassty (is that your first or last name?)
It's my cars name.

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2017, 02:27 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I dont dispute the Raptor frame is reinforced from the F150, but I think for Ford to try to market it as a "unique" frame is a bit disingenuous. There's nothing wrong with the F150 frame. It's no Super Duty, but the main section under the cab is very beefy.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Actually, until you stated that the frame on your Raptor is identical to that of your Dad's F150, I had not heard that it was even close let alone the same. Ford (and the magazines touting Ford's own words) would lead the Raptor buyer to believe he's getting something unique (Raptor Frame)...
I'm actually glad to hear that it's the same. Aftermarket parts for the F150 have a better chance of working on our trucks.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Raptor - realistic weights