Towing with a Raptor - realistic weights - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Towing with a Raptor - realistic weights

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I notice the shock mounts are much beefier on the Raptor, which makes sense. My understanding is that Ford reinforced the area around the bump stop because this is where the old-gen Raptors were bending frames if they jumped them. But aside from the bump stop being different on the F-150 vs Raptor, the actual frame area around it appears to be identical.

Now one thing to consider is that Ford has made mention the Raptor frame contains a lot more "high strength steel." High strength steel is typically used on vehicles as a weight savings measure...the HSLA steel can be made thinner than standard steel but with the same strength. So if Ford kept the thickness the same but used the HSLA steel, than it would be stronger.

I'd be curious to note all the specific differences in the frame.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Good questions to ask the Ford Engineers if they ever show up here again...
--
Personally I'd like to get my hands around the necks of the Electrical Engineers that figured out our Upfitter Switches and the Bean Counter that made him cut the wire stubs so short. But that's another topic..

Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Personally I'd like to get my hands around the necks of the Electrical Engineers that figured out our Upfitter Switches and the Bean Counter that made him cut the wire stubs so short. But that's another topic..
I've heard that; haven't connected anything yet. I guess it was the same case with the 2017 Super Duty's...short blunt-cut wires. My old 2016 was a piece of cake to wire stuff to. But I imagine the new roof switches are more expensive to manufacture, and there is more wiring from the roof down to the firewall area. Of well, the most I'll ever do is maybe add a lightbar...

Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Well it's not much but I'll be dragging it a couple thousand miles or so... Estimated weight is 3k with ~330# tongue (scale stopped at 300#).. have roughly 500# in the bed of the truck. It is equipped with a WDH but the bars are not installed. I'll see how it goes...

Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Looks good, Randy. Are you accounting for the weight of the topper? Or the weight of the W/D hitch itself? Given the total payload rating of 330 tongue and 500 bed cargo, plus you and perhaps a passenger...you're pretty much there! Truck appears to be setting pretty well. Have a safe trip.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
I've yet to see a Raptor up here with the same taillights as you two. They all have the same as regular F150. Is it BLIS thing?

Old 10-13-2017, 02:19 AM
NASSTY
Posting Guru
NASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rollerstud98 View Post
I've yet to see a Raptor up here with the same taillights as you two. They all have the same as regular F150. Is it BLIS thing?
Those are non-BLIS LED tail lights. Some regular F150s have them as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
Those are non-BLIS LED tail lights. Some regular F150s have them as well.
Can you get LED tail lamps on an F-150 without BLIS? I wasn't aware of that.

Personally, I think these taillights look better. You get amber turn signals instead of red, and the brake lights look a lot more interesting when they light up. I believe these are the same tail lights used on foreign export Raptors where amber turn signals are required.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Yeah if you add the topper (200#?), luggage and us with dog - well - you can add in another 550-600# to that..
Made it to our destination in Texas for the next few days. MPGs are 9.6 now.. I think it would be closer to 10 without a head wind.
Had a guy with his home-made Raptor about spin around in his seat as he passed us today.
Another guy with a G1 Raptor pretty much ignored a wave. It's okay though... I did get two thumbs up and a "really sweet truck" at a truck stop from a fella driving a new Silverado...
Randy

Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 AM
NASSTY
Posting Guru
NASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to all
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Can you get LED tail lamps on an F-150 without BLIS? I wasn't aware of that.

Personally, I think these taillights look better. You get amber turn signals instead of red, and the brake lights look a lot more interesting when they light up. I believe these are the same tail lights used on foreign export Raptors where amber turn signals are required.
Some King Ranch F150's came with non- BLIS LED tail lights. I'm not sure which other models do. I hope I don't have to replace one, they are quite pricey. > https://www.f150forum.com/f122/f-s-2...lights-362400/

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Old 10-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend

This is one of my Non-BLIS tail lights that I removed when installing the BedRug and needed to mark the hole for bed mounted LED lights..
Randy

Old 10-14-2017, 02:41 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Yeah if you add the topper (200#?), luggage and us with dog - well - you can add in another 550-600# to that..
Made it to our destination in Texas for the next few days. MPGs are 9.6 now.. I think it would be closer to 10 without a head wind.
Had a guy with his home-made Raptor about spin around in his seat as he passed us today.
Another guy with a G1 Raptor pretty much ignored a wave. It's okay though... I did get two thumbs up and a "really sweet truck" at a truck stop from a fella driving a new Silverado...
Randy
Its strange how much attention my Raptor attracts. People always complimenting it. Nobody ever said anything to me about my significantly more costly 2017 dually.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:56 PM
gsteve
Freshman User
gsteve is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just orderd a 18 raptor and tow the odd trailer. I was going to look into sumo springs to help out