Spray can Sealing Primer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Warhawk77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray can Sealing Primer

I have a question and looking for some advice.

I have a 78 that needs to be repainted. The PO spray can painted it black over the dents, bondo and chipped paint, so that all needs to go. My plan sand and clean all this up then repaint the truck myself this spring. I'm not wanting a show truck just one that all matches. Never painted anything this large but should be fun.

I know it will be a lot of hours doing the body work so to keep from getting burned out my plan is to do work one area then move to a different area of the truck. That way I keep moving around getting things done but shouldn't go crazy after sanding for 200 hours straight.

Having done some reading up it looks like i can use a spray can primer as long as it is a "sealing" primer on areas I have finished but not ready to paint. That way it won't draw water into the metal and start rusting. But not sure where to get this primer or even if they come in the spray cans.

So over all plan is to do body work this fall/winter and in the spring pray the truck. The truck might get some use this winter if it snows but it won't be much driving around.

So question are
Anyone recommend a good primer to use?
How long can I leave the truck in primer safely?

Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
I cant help you on the primer but .........
Are you going to paint this your self and if so have a compressor?
If so and if not I would hit the local auto body supply store and see what they have to offer.

I have always used plan old primer but the car project and now my truck project sit in the garage, not out in the weather and neither can be driven as they are pulled apart for body work & paint.

Dave ----

Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Warhawk77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have planned on painting it myself but after talking to my wife's boss he has a friend that works on his truck this shop is about 60 mins from where I live, that guys has a paint booth in his shop he never uses so I'm thinking about once I get the truck ready I should talk to this guy a maybe rent his booth for a few days.

I don't have a compressor yet but planning on picking up one this month. Then planned on painting it my self this spring but if I could rent the booth I might go that way.