Finally got the rear camer in and pleased

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally got the rear camer in and pleased

I bought the Garmin RV760MT with the BC 30 rear camera and 50ft. extension. Have been using the 760 and petty pleased. There are some glitches in routes now and then, but other than that fine.

My son has kept telling me he would install the camera but kept putting it off. So it's a year plus and he got to it on Saturday.

1) He attached the camera and bracket to the back of the camper about 5 inches above the center running light, with the two screws provided.
2) He then ran the cord under the black trim after attaching the 50' extension to the left and down the side to the bottom making sure that the cover completely sealed under the trim.
3) Ran the extension under the camper along the frame with zip ties to the front were he snaked it into the front compartment.
4) At this point connected the transponder to the extension attaching the transponder to the inside wall and wiring the transponder to the -+ w/ fuse to the battery.
5) F250 backed up to the 5th wheel, turned on the Garmin and a beautiful picture appeared. Clear and clean.

What amazed me was the fact that on Sunday morning Kathy and I went to breakfast in town and on the way back turned on the GPS and when we got to the campground started down the dirt road to the camper the camera turned on about 50 to 60 feet away from the camper and clear and crisp.

Note: Our 5th wheel is a Gateway 37' + and 50' extension was plenty.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
I bought the Garmin RV760MT with the BC 30 rear camera and 50ft. extension. Have been using the 760 and petty pleased. There are some glitches in routes now and then, but other than that fine.

My son has kept telling me he would install the camera but kept putting it off. So it's a year plus and he got to it on Saturday.

1) He attached the camera and bracket to the back of the camper about 5 inches above the center running light, with the two screws provided.
2) He then ran the cord under the black trim after attaching the 50' extension to the left and down the side to the bottom making sure that the cover completely sealed under the trim.
3) Ran the extension under the camper along the frame with zip ties to the front were he snaked it into the front compartment.
4) At this point connected the transponder to the extension attaching the transponder to the inside wall and wiring the transponder to the -+ w/ fuse to the battery.
5) F250 backed up to the 5th wheel, turned on the Garmin and a beautiful picture appeared. Clear and clean.

What amazed me was the fact that on Sunday morning Kathy and I went to breakfast in town and on the way back turned on the GPS and when we got to the campground started down the dirt road to the camper the camera turned on about 50 to 60 feet away from the camper and clear and crisp.

Note: Our 5th wheel is a Gateway 37' + and 50' extension was plenty.
so is this a continuous run camera, or backup camera.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So this is wireless? From camper to truck? More details and pics please

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Wireless from camper to truck.

Continues running so when on interstate can see what the idiots are doing behind me before switching lanes.

Will be at the campground this weekend and will take pictures.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
OK, so with this running full time traveling down the highway using the camera/GPS screen as a rear view mirror, how does the GPS handle upcoming turns and other such directions? Curious as our RV GPS also has the camera feed option (but I don't have a rear camera yet), just not sure how it handles both functions.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
OK, so with this running full time traveling down the highway using the camera/GPS screen as a rear view mirror, how does the GPS handle upcoming turns and other such directions? Curious as our RV GPS also has the camera feed option (but I don't have a rear camera yet), just not sure how it handles both functions.
There is a icon in the upper right of the screen of the GPS. It turns the rear camera on or off so that you use it when you want it. I will be taking a trip in September and will purposely keep the rear camera on when I know there is a turn coming up. I do know that the voice element would be heard weather or not a picture of a map or rear camera was active.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
There is a icon in the upper right of the screen of the GPS. It turns the rear camera on or off so that you use it when you want it. I will be taking a trip in September and will purposely keep the rear camera on when I know there is a turn coming up. I do know that the voice element would be heard weather or not a picture of a map or rear camera was active.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would automatically revert back to the navigation screen when exits and turns were called for. But as long as the voice prompts are still active and you have the ability with the icon to switch back and forth quickly that seems like a nice setup.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:27 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
1) location on back of camper wires run in trim 2) 50' extension cord under camper 3) transmitter inside front storage attached to wall

Attached Images