Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Truck freaked out and depowered trying to back out of parking space

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation

Not really sure what happened. Drove into town on a nice casual drive after lunch to pick up some stuff at the hardware store we now have (we're big time now). About a 4 mile, uneventful trip. Went in, did my business, came out, turned the key on, bumped the key to the auto start thing, shifted to reverse, began backing out of space and the truck started beeping at me like I've never heard before.

Stop and keep my foot on the brake and the message center is just posting multiple messages and dinging each time a new one comes up. Had to hit the OK button on the steering wheel to clear many of them. Things like, low oil pressure, low coolant, powertrain malfunction, reduced power, shut down engine, the end of the world is near (I made the last one up).

Decided that it was either a catastrophic failure in 2' at 2 mph, or an electrical glitch, neither of which I could do much about. Decided best course of action was to shift to park, idle for a few seconds and turn the truck off.

Counted to 10, went to restart, and nothing. Like both batteries had been removed. No dash lights, nothing from the starter, nada. Turned off, counted off 30 seconds and more of the same. Repeat this time waiting one minute using the watch and again, nothing.

Pulled the key out, tossed it in my lap and waited 5 minutes while dreading having to call my son in law (who now is driving my old truck) to grab a trailer and come rescue me. Either 5 minutes or key out of ignition was the key because truck started up with no more warnings other than the SES light.

Vehicle health report said oil and stuff was good (dipstick said it was good too), but the end of the world was coming and I needed to get to a dealer right away due to the light.

Used forescan to pull the codes and nothing major jumps out at me, but the common theme seems to be the computer lost contact with all the electronic gizmos and it was apparently too much for the system to handle. I did not clear the codes (attached to the bottom of the thread).

Question now is, truck is less than a year old and has a bit over 33k on it. Do I clear the codes and chalk it up to a non-verifiable electrical gremlin, or take it in to a dealer for who knows how long to let them look at it before the 36k warranty goes?

If they reflash the computer, I'd have to add the nav again, but not sure a reflash would fix anything other than just giving them something they said they did.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
8-27-17 33286.pdf (23.0 KB, 527 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
Kaw-Liga is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd wager removing the key was the 'key' to getting it to restart. If it happens again try that first (waiting thirty seconds before retrying).
As for what happened? Probably as simple as a loose connection- something that a patient mechanic ought to be able to find since it is still within warranty.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:29 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Not really sure what happened.

Vehicle health report said oil and stuff was good (dipstick said it was good too), but the end of the world was coming and I needed to get to a dealer right away due to the light.

Question now is, truck is less than a year old and has a bit over 33k on it. Do I clear the codes and chalk it up to a non-verifiable electrical gremlin, or take it in to a dealer for who knows how long to let them look at it before the 36k warranty goes?

At minimum, have it logged into Ford's system and maintain a hard copy of this complaint being logged. Intermittent electronic problems can be expensive to locate.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:35 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Your close to being out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I'd take it in and now you have a repair order to keep in your files. Not quite as important if you have an ESP on the truck.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
I would 100% take it to a dealer and not clear anything.

There is a grey plug near the emergency brake that has trouble from time to time and this seems like that but who knows.

bruce...

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Everyone seems to be concerned about getting it documented before it goes out of warranty. I get the reaction, but in reality, documentation of previous issues or not, out of warranty is out of warranty, right?

Just because it happened once while still in warranty, that they can't verify, doesn't mean they'll fix it in another 20k when the problem returns. Sure I could ask Ford for help and might get lucky, or I could hire a lawyer and hope he's smarter than all the lawyers Ford has on payroll, but I prefer to focus on the real world.

I don't have faith that this documentation will help me if the problem returns, especially if it mean being without my truck for a week or so while they don't find anything.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Everyone seems to be concerned about getting it documented before it goes out of warranty. I get the reaction, but in reality, documentation of previous issues or not, out of warranty is out of warranty, right?

Just because it happened once while still in warranty, that they can't verify, doesn't mean they'll fix it in another 20k when the problem returns. Sure I could ask Ford for help and might get lucky, or I could hire a lawyer and hope he's smarter than all the lawyers Ford has on payroll, but I prefer to focus on the real world.

I don't have faith that this documentation will help me if the problem returns, especially if it mean being without my truck for a week or so while they don't find anything.
Your truck and your decision. If it does it again maybe 100 miles past warranty you may sing a different song. 20,00 miles later and I totally agree with you. Good dealerships will work with you on the close calls.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
....Good dealerships will work with you on the close calls.
I agree. But if it's a good dealership and it's 100 miles past warranty and the problem hasn't been reported before, they'll still work with you.

Unless of course it gets too expensive and they have to send it up the chain for approval. The dealer I bought it from doesn't fall into the good dealer category so I won't be returning there. Truck came with 2 yr / 24k mile oil changes for free, so I went ahead and let them do it. After the 24k was up, I discovered they had cross threaded the oil pan drain bolt and just ran it down tight to keep it from leaking. Luckily it was just the bolt threads that got trashed and I was able to just replace the plug.

I do have a small town dealer nearby that will take a week to look at it and likely find nothing (can't be without the truck for a week) and a larger town dealer that has the service advisor type who will likely provide me an estimate based on my odometer reading with things like changing the air in the tires, etc. without even mentioning the reason I brought the truck in.

Didn't have to go anywhere today, so I'm still debating.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
Kaw-Liga is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting it reported within warranty is specifically to provide you with the standing that the issue was known by Ford (through the dealership) while under warranty. This way if the issue cannot be discerned and properly addressed the first time around, you have good standing to argue that you should not be expected to pay for work performed under warranty that was supposed to have corrected a manufacturing defect (mechanical, electrical, or a problem stemming from incorrect installation at the factory).

Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kaw-Liga View Post
... you have good standing to argue that you should not be expected to pay for work performed under warranty that was supposed to have corrected a manufacturing defect (mechanical, electrical, or a problem stemming from incorrect installation at the factory).
Sounds good on paper. Anyone have actual experience with such a case? All the ones I'm familiar with the odometer reading rules, regardless of prior complaints unless other actions are taken (which we can't discuss here).

Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
2civicrr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.2civicrr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds good on paper. Anyone have actual experience with such a case? All the ones I'm familiar with the odometer reading rules, regardless of prior complaints unless other actions are taken (which we can't discuss here).
Worked for me on my 2004. I reported an intermittent problem a couple times that they couldn't duplicate. They ended up having to replace the hvac control panel under warranty even though I was 400 or so miles past. The issue required removal of the dash to correct & saved me well over $1000 in labor.