6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Good points. It sounds like it's too bad the truck has a "forced" regen at a mileage point regardless, but if it works for you...do it.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Good points. It sounds like it's too bad the truck has a "forced" regen at a mileage point regardless, but if it works for you...do it.
That's my problem with it too. Even if it does everything advertised, the computer still makes the truck act just like it did before. Perhaps there will be some savings long term when it comes to baking out or replacing the DPF, but it sure seems like a long shot.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:34 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is true that if you currently are seeing 500 mile regen intervals, the benefits are reduced. There is still EGR and DPF life as well as other benefits of reduced soot though. There are a lot of folks seeing 200-300 mile intervals and this is of most benefit to them. With no more long commute, my regens were around 350 because 5 mile round trips for milk and eggs were not being compensated by the occasional 60-80 round trips for other things.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While Enerburn (or rather the ingredients in it) have not been rigorously tested in a Ford 6.7L, they have been tested in large industrial plants, ship engines, and small delivery trucks. You can find these tests, done by real scientists at real universities, with a little research.

I have been using Enerburn based on that data, and what I have observed is no measurable difference in fuel economy (within experimental error) but a rather large difference in distance between regens (well beyond experimental error). I'm not a believer in most additives as the claims are not independently verified and not testable yourself. In this case the stuff seems to work to increase DPF cleaning intervals (approximately double in my truck).

Do you need it? No, of course you can just let the truck clean itself as often as it needs. I surmise by the reduced DFP cleaning (but cannot prove) that it will be easier on the rest of the exhaust system as less soot seems to be generated or accumulated. I think this is a reasonable conclusion given my observations and the published scientific evidence. We would need maybe 40 trucks to experiment on (test to destruction) to know for sure.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
I received my shipment of the new stuff (aka Better Diesel FBC). At least one of the bottles is leaking. It stinks pretty good and the cardboard box shows that it's partially soaked. The four bottles were wrapped in plastic but that doesn't seem to have helped. I haven't opened the plastic yet so I don't know yet how much was lost. I stored it outside.

Tomorrow I'll be fueling up and doing my first treatment. The DPF Filter is at 99% right now. I'm going to try to complete a regen before filling up. Sunday I head up to the mountains towing my toy hauler.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I believe we don't see a difference in fuel economy with our 6.7L trucks is because the impact of regens on fuel economy is smaller than we think. Granted, if I do a reset on the MPG meter and experience a regen, the results are horrifying. But if I have not reset the meter in thousands of miles, the effects of a regen on the meter are .1 MPG. We are not going to notice that in regular driving, and even in controlled fuel mileage tests a tenth of a MPG may not be statistically significant.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
To everyone above
After catching up on all these threads, I can understand myself why I pretty much slowed down or completely stopped posting to this thread. I don't know why some people need to be so negative on a subject when all that was originally asked was "any experience" with Enerburn.
In my opinion, I LIKE IT, and will continue to use it. What does it matter to all the skeptics? It seems people need to criticize something, no matter what.
There was a statement made on a couple other forums and threads that the majority of the people complaining on these kind of forums is about ½% of those that actually drive a vehicle. Those that don't comment are those that don't have problems, and those that do comment are those that do have problems.
This thread was originally started to ask an opinion, NOT to criticize the product or the people who use it. Enough said.
SkiSmuggs.... It's a great product, and although I don't personally know Jane, for some reason explicitly trust her opinion.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Having spoken with Jane at length, she not only knows and understands her products, she also seeks out more information. She is interested in my experience, and asks questions about Powerstroke maintenance and recommendations. And then we just talk about our lives.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by harleyjoeky
I don't know why some people need to be so negative on a subject when all that was originally asked was "any experience" with Enerburn.
Haters gonna hate. I try to tune them out.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:27 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
HRTKD. If you call or email Jane, she will replace the leaking bottle if it's lost any significant amount. I had one order that I received with 2 leaking bottles where one was almost half gone. She promptly send me two replacement bottles.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I think the leak was minimal. Enough to get the bag wet and have a bit leak out on the box. Both bottles are at the same level so maybe both of them leaked. I put the bottle that goes with the truck in two ziplock bags. I need to figure out a way to keep it upright in the bed.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
keeping the bottles upright

Originally Posted by HRTKD
I think the leak was minimal. Enough to get the bag wet and have a bit leak out on the box. Both bottles are at the same level so maybe both of them leaked. I put the bottle that goes with the truck in two ziplock bags. I need to figure out a way to keep it upright in the bed.
Here's what I did.
1. purchased a large bottle of Stay-bill fuel treatment at Walmart. Very cheap, and love the long spout. Bought the 32 oz.
2. Emptied the Stay-bill into another container
3. Used the empty to put in 2 of my Enerburn bottles in it. The caps are much better
4. Bought a BMW spare oil pouch and velcroed it on the inside corner of my truck bed. The Stay-bill container fits perfectly in it and stays upright.
Works perfectly with absolutely no smell or leaks.
You can google the BMW pouch on amazon.. only 10 bucks.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:19 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I believe we don't see a difference in fuel economy with our 6.7L trucks is because the impact of regens on fuel economy is smaller than we think. Granted, if I do a reset on the MPG meter and experience a regen, the results are horrifying. But if I have not reset the meter in thousands of miles, the effects of a regen on the meter are .1 MPG. We are not going to notice that in regular driving, and even in controlled fuel mileage tests a tenth of a MPG may not be statistically significant.
This reasoning is a bit flawed. You’re correct that one regen event may only effect a rolling 1000 mile average a tenth of a percent, but you are not acknowledging that within that 1000 miles there were multiple events, each effecting a tenth of a percent. It is a significant enough of a factor that folks do attempt various methods to reduce it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
On my first tank of the Better Diesel Fuel Burn Catalyst I got around 400 miles before the regen. The regen got interrupted around 40% (I had to park). I haven't calculated out the second regen but it was less than 400 miles, which is to be expected. The actual regen seems to take longer than when I wasn't using FBC and it hasn't gone to 0% like it used to. I'm not sure what to make of that. All miles since I started using FBC have been towing miles and in the Rocky Mountains.

The bottle of FBC has a measuring device that will get 1/2 oz or 1 oz. That's quite handy. Much easier than guessing with the bottle of PM-22-a, which was also used at each fill up.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
I just got two 16oz bottles of the Better Diesel also. I'll give them a try. It's hard for me to guess on mileage, Because each tank is different. Saturdays I tow the horses 2 hours one way up mountains and get 10 mpg, Weekdays I commute to work 50 miles away at freeway speeds. Somedays thats 75mph, Somedays that 20mph and run 15-17.5 mpg

A 48 gallon fillup is 2.5-3.0 Oz. So fill the little measuring cylinder up twice and dump it into the fuel fill along with a couple squirts of Opti-Lube Summer blend ( pump squirts 1oz per pump)

My truck is at almost 25,000 miles ( That makes me sick to think it's only 8 months old and has that kind of mileage)
And I run 295/65R20 tires that along with the leveling kit cost me a mile or two in mileage

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?