6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBraden
Is thar Delo full synthetic? Thank you for the input.

Yes sir, I was going to watch about about 5 regens before I posted anything to be sure but from what I have seen there is a big difference.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon606
I am not trying to hijack here but since we are talking regen frequency products, I am going to throw an observation I found over the past month. My truck would regen pretty religiously at 250-300 miles, non-pulling, back and forth to work. I had changed the factory oil out at 1,000 miles to Rotella T6 (CJ-4) about the time I purchased the Edge CTS monitor. With all the Shell Rotella talk I decided to dump it at 3500 miles and found Delo 400LE in CJ-4 5W-40. I immediately noticed the DPF soot percentage would crawl upward, and sure enough, first regen with "new" oil was at 450 miles. I had never got that many miles before a regen. I am on the second cycle now and have about 160 miles and its at 35%. All driving is the same, same fuel, same air temp, etc. etc., only change was the oil. This is something I am keeping tabs on as I have the means to monitor and I hate the regens and the longer between the better. Just an early observation on my truck, if it continues I plan on posting a thread about my findings.
Originally Posted by Brandon606
Yes sir, I was going to watch about about 5 regens before I posted anything to be sure but from what I have seen there is a big difference.
Brandon, this is my thread and you are not hijacking. Thank you so much for your input. I had heard similar things about Valvoline PBX,which I am running now. I have not seen a difference in regens with the CJ-4.
I towed 420 miles today, and with Enerburn keeping soot down to almost post regen levels, I finally got a regen at 567 miles. Holey moley! What happened to 500 mile intervals? Enerburn is working!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Brandon, this is my thread and you are not hijacking. Thank you so much for your input. I had heard similar things about Valvoline PBX,which I am running now. I have not seen a difference in regens with the CJ-4.
I towed 420 miles today, and with Enerburn keeping soot down to almost post regen levels, I finally got a regen at 567 miles. Holey moley! What happened to 500 mile intervals? Enerburn is working!
You are welcome sir. I was shocked the first few days at the difference in soot %. With the Rotella it was almost in a constant state of increase, now it hardly moves. I will monitor the next 4-5 regens and report back.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:18 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Im glad its working for you bud, i really believe the product lowers the temp the soot burns as advertised, What you have experienced is exactly what we have seen, most the soot is being burned in the passive regen, we still haven't seen an active regen on one of our ISX cummins engines. I even thought maybe the drivers had missed it so we used or cummins insite scan tool and verified no active regens.

Now since we started our test on our commercial trucks i have also started a test on a coupled new F2 series cat backhoes we have. One machine has not regen yet another has, but looking at the history the regen was 65% less time then the previous regens. I wonder if the frequency in the 6.7 would show if the actual duration has decreased in active regen time.......... it would be interesting to know because at that point the regens would have been nearly cut by 40% and the duration may have been decreased which has to result in fuel savings. I haven't messed with many 6.7 so i am unfamiliar with the plate forms which is why I'm asking. But we have seen notable fuel economy in our tests which is why the first of next year where running the product in all our heavy equipment with final tier 4 engines and our commercial trucks with final tier 4

Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Im glad its working for you bud,I'm surprised it worked so fast for you as it took about 1000-1200 miles or about 100 engine hrs before we saw results, i really believe the product lowers the temp the soot burns allowing most to burn off during passive regen as advertised, What you have experienced is exactly what we have seen, most the soot is being burned in the passive regen, we still haven't seen an active regen on one of our ISX cummins engines. I even thought maybe the drivers had missed it so we used or cummins insite scan tool and verified no active regens.

Now since we started our test on our commercial trucks i have also started a test on a coupled new F2 series cat backhoes we have. One machine has not regen yet another has, but looking at the history the regen was 65% less time then the previous regens. I wonder if the frequency in the 6.7 would show if the actual duration has decreased in active regen time.......... it would be interesting to know because at that point the regens would have been nearly cut by 40% and the duration may have been decreased which has to result in fuel savings. I haven't messed with many 6.7 so i am unfamiliar with the plate forms which is why I'm asking. But we have seen notable fuel economy in our tests which is why the first of next year where running the product in all our heavy equipment with final tier 4 engines and our commercial trucks with final tier 4

Don't forget you can cut back the dose at a certain point i can't remember but talk to Jane, we cut all ours back and are still getting the same results

Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just picked up my truck a couple days ago and added in enerburn along with some opti-lube XL to the tank, which I plan on running for the foreseeable future. I don't even have a hundred miles on the truck yet. Is there an application for my Android phone that I can use to track my gas station fill ups along with my regens?

Edit: I'm trying out the Fuel Buddy app for Android. It lets you add custom services (premium version required I think) to keep track of, so I added one for Regen Occurred to track these, at least for a while anyway.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jaxf250
I just picked up my truck a couple days ago and added in enerburn along with some opti-lube XL to the tank, which I plan on running for the foreseeable future. I don't even have a hundred miles on the truck yet. Is there an application for my Android phone that I can use to track my gas station fill ups along with my regens?

Edit: I'm trying out the Fuel Buddy app for Android. It lets you add custom services (premium version required I think) to keep track of, so I added one for Regen Occurred to track these, at least for a while anyway.
I've been using the Android app "aCar" to track all maintenance and regens. I added "DPF Regeneration" and "DEF Added" as maintenance items to it.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
Second regen since oil change to Delo, 415 miles, I had to take an unexpected trip to town which is about 8 miles each way with a 35mph speed limit (thats where the dpf really takes a hit). Had it not been for that trip and I kept my normal driving, I think I could have easily hit the 450 mile mark as first one. I will keep you updated, may be a few weeks as I'm going on vacation and I will be forced to drive my wife's Tahoe and my truck will be setting.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Used Enerburn on 1600 mile trip.

Pulling 12k lb. 5th wheel 1600 miles. Using Enerburn for first time. On way back i had well over440 miles without regen when I got home. My Edge CTS monitor said dpf was 25% full. All those miles the soot would slowly build up when we're in slow traffic. As soon as I would be in hilly roads and could go atleast 62 mpg the dpf was declining slowly from passive regen. My turbo temp 1 on CTS only had to show in the low 700 degrees for passive regen to occur. I'm sold on the stuff.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Regen

On Towing. When Towing my Soot holds between 5 and 10 percent.

I am still using HPR Diesel my regen are around every 300 LOTS of city driving.

I am also tried and using archoil 6100. I have seen no different with that product.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Have never heard of Enerburn before this thread. Have been trying to use my weak google skills to learn more.

Came across this thread that seems interesting. https://www.expeditersonline.com/for...urn-dpf.68922/

Have not heard of ferrocene either before now. Wonder if there's a cheaper additive that contains it? (I'm in one of those Texas counties that already has a higher cetane number)

Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Being a skeptic of most engine and fuel additives, I did some research on Enerburn. The effect is actually well researched. The introduction of many metals in fine powder form does have a catalytic effect on diesel (and gas) combustion. There are several scholarly papers on this, and more than a few industry papers. Most of the producers of diesel catalysts (there are several) have a proprietary mix of ingredients, but ferrocene is popular. Enerburn purchased the patents for this particular product from Exxon/Esso.

The more rigorous tests that you see in the literature have been done on large generating and pumping plants, also large marine diesels. Most agree that reductions in soot of around 50% is possible, with some claiming a reduction of 90%. Most also agree that a small increase in power or thermal efficiency is possible, in the range of 2 - 12%. One paper I found compared the caloric value of the soot and concluded that the the reduction in soot (by more complete combustion) accounted for the increased thermal efficiency. Any increase in power comes from quicker ignition, similar to an increase in cetane. Enerburns marketing claims that it "nano coats the cylinders with catalytic something or other" is not reflected in the literature - the effect is due to lowering the activation energy during combustion, any coating is a side effect.

I'm still skeptical. But I put some in the last two tank fulls and it does seem to behave differently. On the second tank full the dash meter climbed about like always but the DPF load and other indicators reported by Forscan were much lower. Usually the %DPF load on Forscan is higher than the dash gage, it will hit about 135% when the dash gage gets to 100%. I'm also somewhat further than my historical regen average and the dash gage is only showing 75% (Forscan showing 35%), half way through the second tank. Need to run a few more tanks of fuel to see.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
They all seem to use ferrocene seems to be the key component for me here. If that's the magic ingredient, what other options are available at a reduced price?

Google shows it's a no knock additive for gas engines. Now I'm wondering if I spent all those years looking down my nose at the additives that said for diesel or gas engines was a mistake.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
They all seem to use ferrocene seems to be the key component for me here. If that's the magic ingredient, what other options are available at a reduced price?

Google shows it's a no knock additive for gas engines. Now I'm wondering if I spent all those years looking down my nose at the additives that said for diesel or gas engines was a mistake.
While I've always assumed most additives were snake oil, diesel additives made more sense to me. There is the reduced lubricity of today's diesel, the low cetane requirements for most of the US compared to Europe, California and Eastern Texas, and the whole soot byproduct. Cetane booster seems a no brainer and I get a mileage boost from it. AR6200 gave me a smaller mileage boost and did wonders for my gas tools/cars. Everburn has changed the way my my soot management works in my truck. While towing, I get almost no soot accumulation. I get the 500 mile mandatory regeneration with almost no soot. The DPF Full screen has less meaning as regens now start at 85-95% instead of at DPF Full like before. It will be a while before I can see how it does under more normal conditions, but I still expect reduced soot.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6

It would work as a no knock additive basically the same way - by speeding up combustion.

Ferrocene is a key ingredient but typically not the only ingredient. A few vendors claim that the proper mix with certain other metals is better, and the exact particle size may make a difference. I believe the Enerburn patent is on the process to make it, not the substance itself, so there may be some technology there you won't find on eBay.

Observing the way the Ford PCM deals with this, I wonder what fits it throws if soot is not created at the assumed rate? I think on the 15-16' the particulate soot is measured directly, but a lot of stuff is inferred by the computer, or calculated based on oblique measurements. The ultimate inference being you need a burn down every 500 miles regardless.

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?