6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:28 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
UPDATE ON ENERBURN
So it is looking good for Enerburn at the point.
Good report, thanks Ski. I researched this a couple months back, and my first order arrives next week. Mind you I don't have my diesel yet lol, but am stocking up on the maintenance items while I await delivery. Jane from Enerburn was really great about responding to several emails on questions I had, and this looks like a solid additive even for casual drivers like me. Considering using an oil additive too, like Archoil. Still researching. I just don't want any issues with premature wear - would love to have the truck run as good at 150k miles as she did when new.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBraden
Ordered 2 of the 16 oz bottles 3 days ago. Leave for 1600 mile trip in about a week. Hope I get it before trip to test it out. I also use Optilube Summer plus too.
I continue to use the Summer Plus as well. You may see your soot climb faster for the first tank or two as the combustion chambers are cleaned, then marked improvement by the third tank I am guessing. My previous use of AR6200 and then towing with Enerburn may have accelerated the process for me as my second tank had marked improvement.

Here is an article on it from a truck industry news letter:
https://www.movinout.com/magazine/el...regen-problems

Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I'm staying in touch with the CEO of the main distributor of Enerburn, JKG Fuel Solutions, and she says there is no conflict with cetane booster and lubricity additives, but suggests that dose for those can be reduced to 1/2 since Enerburn adds lubricity, biocides, and combustion improvement. As I may have said previously, this is a lot like AR6200, but has much more soot management that improves passive regen capabilities.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for info ski. I just hit 12k miles so don't know how much carbon will be in engine. I'll keep posting when I have results on the product.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Thanks for info ski. I just hit 12k miles so don't know how much carbon will be in engine. I'll keep posting when I have results on the product.
Another tip from JKG is since Enerburn prevents deposits in the injectors, but doesn't have enough detergent to remove existing deposits, is to use a diesel injector cleaner once at the start of using Enerburn.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Do they sell an injector cleaner cleaner? So many products say so many things that I wouldn't have any idea what cleaner to use.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Do they sell an injector cleaner cleaner? So many products say so many things that I wouldn't have any idea what cleaner to use.
For a one time use, any diesel specific cleaner should do. Maybe Lucas, Techron D or Hotshot.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

OK. Thank you. I'll be curious to see how long it takes for my Enerburn to arrive.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Took about 3 business days for MN to VT. You may as well do the injector cleaner now.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Got you. Then I should have it any day now. I leave on a 9 day trip planned in about a week. I'll have my fiver with me. I'll be towing a minimum of 1600 miles. That should give me time for Enwrburn to do it's thing.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Dapherdoo
New User
Ski
Sounds like the Enerburn owner is saying in her opinion they may attack the soot problem in different areas?? One through fuel combustion (ar6200) and the Enerburn through fuel combustion chamber coating?? Am I reading this right? Might be interesting to see what they do in conjunction with each other. Per Archoil saying there would be no issue, I mix my ar6200 with my Stanadyne blue. Might be interesting, albeit a tad expensive if it works well😊

Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
We talked about using cetane boosters concurrently with Enerburn because they are different in the way they work. AR6200 is NOT different as both are combustion catalysts and are alike in other aspects as well. Jane compared the MSDS sheets of each and said they are very much the same. JKG is the distributor, not the company that makes it, but Jane has a doctorate in engineering and seems knowledgeable. So, no, I would not mix AR6200 and Enerburn as Everburn does almost exactly what AR6200 does and then some. I am still a fan of AR6200 and it does wonders for my gas equipment like generators, string trimmer, lawn tractor, old Subaru. But even early in the trial stage, it looks like Everburn is the winner for diesel.
Archoil did tell someone NOT to mix with cetane and lube boosters in the same bottle, but that they can be used concurrently. Given that AR6200 adds great lubricity, I would only add a cetane booster anyway. Diesel Kleen and AR6200 would work well together as do my Opti-Lube Summer Plus. I wouldn't bother with just a Stanadyne Lubricity formula, but would use Stanadyne cetane booster instead.
AR6200 and Enerburn do NOT increase cetane, just combustion.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
This is Monday and, since Friday, my driving has been rural town driving with speeds from 25-50. I am now 452 miles since the last regen and last I looked, my dash DPF status was at 85% although it may be 90% by now. My GPL is approaching 3.00 and the CTS monitor shows DPF Load close to 100%, but that is not what triggers a regen. The best I can hope for is 500 miles as that is Ford's mandated interval.
So why are the numbers building while I am using Enerburn? The product assists the burning off of soot by lowering the temperature required to burns it. However, heat is still required and, in town, I am not generating enough heat to burn off much. What should be interesting is the tow trip home this morning. I expected to see the numbers on the CTS gauge drop while %DPF goes to full and triggers a regen. But remember, my average intervals since I retired over a year ago have been 350 miles, so a 500 mile interval is a huge win. In addition, components like the turbo, EGR, throttle body and exhaust system stay relatively clean so their life is extended and the truck runs better.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jaxf250
Good report, thanks Ski. I researched this a couple months back, and my first order arrives next week. Mind you I don't have my diesel yet lol, but am stocking up on the maintenance items while I await delivery. Jane from Enerburn was really great about responding to several emails on questions I had, and this looks like a solid additive even for casual drivers like me. Considering using an oil additive too, like Archoil. Still researching. I just don't want any issues with premature wear - would love to have the truck run as good at 150k miles as she did when new.
Don't bother with an oil additive. The new CK-4 oils are thinner and more slippery than CJ-4 and oil additives were formulated for CJ-4. Also, I tried AR9100 for a while and didn't observe any improvement in fuel mileage. Enerburn can be your only additive if you live in CA or TX where the standards for diesel are much higher than the rest of the country; otherwise, just a cetane booster like Power Service will do. Enerburn adds lubricity, fuel stabilizers and anti-bacterial components, in addition to combustion catalysts and soot modifiers. I don't know if soot modifier is an actual thing, but whatever reduces the burn off temperature of soot.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
After puttering around Meredith, NH for 2 days, my GPL went up to 2.79, DPF Load to 100% and DPF Filter to 90%. We hooked up and headed for home with much of the first leg level or gently rolling hills. The numbers went up for a bit and then turned back down and back and forth as the engine wasn't really working hard. With EGT4 below 500 degrees, soot builds. In the 600 range it tends to hold steady. 700 and above results in passive regen. When we finally started pulling hills, GPF and Load dropped and kept going down. However, by 500 miles since the last regen started, DPF Filter was at 95% and stayed there. At 525 miles since the last regen started (probably 500 miles from the end of the last regen), a DPF Regeneration started. Of coarse, we were only 5 miles from the much needed Rest Stop across the Vermont border, so it got cut short. GPL was down to 1.45 and DPF Load was at 20%, but DPF Filter was only down to 90%. Surprisingly, the regen never restarted and we made it home an hour and 15 minutes later without a regen, but DPF Filter was back to 95%, GPL was 1.44 and DPF Load was 26%. The last 45 minutes is mostly downhill or level so there wasn't a lot of passive regen.
It appears that Enerburn does improve passive regen quite a bit. I'm not sure how much it will do for you if you only drive 3 miles to work and back every day as it does take heat to passive regen, but Enerburn lowers the temperature required for soot burn off so it will help out if you get some highway time occasionally. In the last year, even with tow trips, I have not gone over 390 miles between regens and this time, I went 525 miles from start to start.

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?