Any Experience with Enerburn? - Page 8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:05 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. If you decrease the frequency and length of all your regens, you should see a corresponding increase in mpg's. At least based on the decreases the regens have caused in my truck.

If enerburn doesn't translate to better mpg's, what's the point?
The point is increased life for your DPF, turbo, EGR, engine oil, or anything else degraded by soot. I don't use it for mileage, but for longevity.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:43 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
harleyjoeky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agree with SkiSmuggs

Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The point is increased life for your DPF, turbo, EGR, engine oil, or anything else degraded by soot. I don't use it for mileage, but for longevity.
I had a UOA done on my truck to include soot testing. They didn't find any issues with the oil in regards to soot. My level was 0.4% on soot in the oil.

I'm also curious to hear what you consider "long term". My last truck I bought new and put 560,000 miles on it. Are you talking that lenght of time, or do you plan on trading it in if it gets near 100k on the odometer? Aside from the occasional spun bearing issue, I think the 6.7 will hit 100k just fine with no help.

But that still doesn't answer the original question. If it does so much to reduce regens, how does it not have an impact on mpg's? A regen, by it's nature, burns more fuel than normal driving. Therefore, reduced frequency or length of regens should result in a corresponding increase in mpg's. I'm still waiting on someone to explain how those two are no longer related when it comes to enerburn.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
simple Answer to F350-6. "I have no idea". as I stated earlier in my post. I'll know better after long term usage as far as mpg improvement goes.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:39 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
I'm also curious to hear what you consider "long term". My last truck I bought new and put 560,000 miles on it. Are you talking that lenght of time, or do you plan on trading it in if it gets near 100k on the odometer? Aside from the occasional spun bearing issue, I think the 6.7 will hit 100k just fine with no help.

But that still doesn't answer the original question. If it does so much to reduce regens, how does it not have an impact on mpg's? A regen, by it's nature, burns more fuel than normal driving. Therefore, reduced frequency or length of regens should result in a corresponding increase in mpg's. I'm still waiting on someone to explain how those two are no longer related when it comes to enerburn.
I hope this to be my last truck so 500K would be good. As for MPG, before I retired, I had a 76 mile daily commute where I could readily see any changes in fuel mileage and noted that Archoil AR6200 gave me .8 mpg better. I could never have noticed that with the variety of driving that I do now. For that matter, since I now use Enerburn instead of AR6200, any mileage improvements would have to be above and beyond what I got from AR6200.
And with that daily commute, my regens were about 350 intervals with AR6200 until I tuned with 5* and then DP-Tuner. Both yielded a 500 mile regen interval. Once I retired and started driving shorter trips, my interval dropped to 350 again until I began using Enerburn. Most regens occur at 500 miles now, but I had one at 437. So that is why I can't say if Enerburn has improved my mileage. I've seen testimonials from long haul truckers, etc that show an improvement, so I suspect similar results.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Let's do so simple math to explain the impact of a regen on fuel mileage.

Let's say not during a regen you get 13 mpg and that before enerburn you had a regen every 200 miles. A regen per Ford uses about 1/2 gal of fuel.

200 / 13 = 15.3 gals of fuel. Now you hit the regen - go to 213 miles and burn 1.5 gals of fuel. 16.8 gals of fuel - 213 miles = 12.67 mpg overall... That's your net affect of a regen. This also happens to coincide with what people that have deleted say they gain after deleting. I get "maybe 1/2 mpg more".

Increasing the regen range to 500 miles, the MAX miles you can go between regens. You'll gain roughly .25 mpg... Overall not that much...

I know, clear as mud and there are assumptions here. The exception case, which is rare, is if you were able to take your regen frequency from every 100 miles to 500 miles. I could see you getting an extra .5 to .75 mpg more. on 13 mpg average. I picked 13 mpg, because that's what I typically get for local driving.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:27 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
Great explanation Dadster. And when I get 18 to 20 normal driving, it would even make it harder to see an improvement. That's probably why I don't. Thanks. My Math brain hasn't worked that good in a long time lol.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:06 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by harleyjoeky View Post
Great explanation Dadster. And when I get 18 to 20 normal driving, it would even make it harder to see an improvement. That's probably why I don't. Thanks. My Math brain hasn't worked that good in a long time lol.
Exactly! 18-20 is a 2 mpg variance and who knows why it varies. As I said, you need a fixed long drive with cruise control in order to measure changes in fuel efficiency, not to mention consistent temperatures and winds.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
There is no point, except for the company to make money. This stuff is basically a placebo-effect product. Of course everyone wants it to work.
I'll agree most additives are snake oil. The ingredients in Enerburn do have an effect that is well documented by numerous academic studies. It isn't placebo effect. Do a Google search on diesel combustion catalysts and read the more serious papers. I've not seen it affect mileage much, but it has markedly affected regen interval in my truck. This is a readily measurable and unambiguous result.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM
jetskier
Freshman User
jetskier is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another observation I've made since starting using Enerburn is the instantaneous mileage during regens doesn't drop to 10-11 mpg, it's closer to 14-15. When it's finished it jumps back up to 18-20. I'm referring to highway driving conditions. There is definitely a jump in fuel economy for my situation.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM
RickBraden
Senior User
RickBraden is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just got another 500 mile (factory forced) regen thanks to enerburn. Right before it started my g/l was around 1.58 & DPF SOOT dropped to around 33-34%. It was all highway driving with no towing at 70 mpg.
I also am still using my Opti-lube Summer + for cetane & lubrication.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Another observation I've made since starting using Enerburn is the instantaneous mileage during regens doesn't drop to 10-11 mpg, it's closer to 14-15. When it's finished it jumps back up to 18-20. I'm referring to highway driving conditions. There is definitely a jump in fuel economy for my situation.
I'd be quite surprised at this. The PCM doesn't know you are running an additive, it dumps enough fuel in to heat the exhaust to the target temp. I've logged the Injection Quantity numbers for all 8 injectors with Forescan over numerous regens and it was the same before/after Enerburn use as near as could be measured.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
well, I finally got my long trip towing out of the way with enerburn. I must say I'm still sold on it. Towing a 12000plus 5th wheel camper, I started the trip at a soot level of 2.5 due to in town driving. On the first 200 miles of highway towing, my soot level dropped to 1.2 simply doing passive regens. I was really impressed.. I could watch the needle going down. EGt was at aprox 750 to 800 degrees. Went into active regen at 500 miles and lasted the full 10 miles. Must be programed by ford. Soot level went all the way down to .7. Never had it that low. didn't have another regen until my next 500 miles, and soot level was only at 1.3 when it started.. Mileage was basically the same as before. About 11mpg towing. I'm sold. less stress on the dpf system as far as I'm concerned makes it worth using Enerburn. enough said.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Running Shell or Exxon fuel with PM22a, I go 400-500 miles between regen (when I have 15 miles to drive after they start so it completes). My regens consistently take 0.5 gallons of fuel. This is seen by resetting my trip when they start and noting just over 10 MPG over the 15 mile regen. That's 1.5 gallons burned instead of my normal 1 gallon during those 15 miles (F450). I get 14.5 MPG in the winter and 15.5 with summer fuel.

So, on an average 450 miles with one regen, I burn 30 gallons of fuel. If my truck never had a regen, I would burn 29.5 gallons. Thus, the max I could gain in mileage by reducing regens to zero is less than 2%.

Reducing regen frequency and duration is certainly a good thing, but that alone won't make a big difference in mileage.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
Running Shell or Exxon fuel with PM22a, I go 400-500 miles between regen (when I have 15 miles to drive after they start so it completes). My regens consistently take 0.5 gallons of fuel. This is seen by resetting my trip when they start and noting just over 10 MPG over the 15 mile regen. That's 1.5 gallons burned instead of my normal 1 gallon during those 15 miles (F450). I get 14.5 MPG in the winter and 15.5 with summer fuel.

So, on an average 450 miles with one regen, I burn 30 gallons of fuel. If my truck never had a regen, I would burn 29.5 gallons. Thus, the max I could gain in mileage by reducing regens to zero is less than 2%.

Reducing regen frequency and duration is certainly a good thing, but that alone won't make a big difference in mileage.
I take it that you have fairly long drives. Are you tuned? Before I retired, I had a 76 mile round trip commute and got 350 guestimate miles between regens. After tuning, it went to 500 miles. After retirement, back to 350 miles until I began using Enerburn. I would say that you would get less benefit than most of us. I do find that towing uphill can cause soot to build, but, with Enerburn, it burns off quickly on the down side or level driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: