Any Experience with Enerburn? - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I'll admit to occasionally dumping PM22 in; seems to make no difference. In the cold weather I buy the Motorcraft anti-gel and improver. But it would have to be real cold, like -20F or something.

Bosch can say what they want, but Ford knows exactly how that pump performs long term on just standard low grade diesel.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:30 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
I'll admit to occasionally dumping PM22 in; seems to make no difference. In the cold weather I buy the Motorcraft anti-gel and improver. But it would have to be real cold, like -20F or something.

Bosch can say what they want, but Ford knows exactly how that pump performs long term on just standard low grade diesel.
Can't say I have noticed any difference in PM22 either - but if lubricity is the issue, you won't notce for a long time.

Ford knows exactly how the pump performs, but only guarantees it for 5yrs/100,000 miles. If you buy an extended warrantee for more than the price of a new pump they will guarantee it another 3yrs/50,000 miles. Even with bad lubricity fuel, it's probably going to last that long. Bosch knows the pump better than Ford - that's why Ford buys them from Bosch. If you are only keeping the truck for 100 or 150K miles, then additives are probably a waste of money. If you are keeping it 200 or 250K the economics might be better.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I don't disagree. Ford / Bosch changed the pump design a bit for 2015, applying a low-friction coating to help with lubricity.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
After about 3000 miles now with Enerburn, much of it towing, I now have a month of mixed, non-tow driving and am still seeing 500 mile regeneration intervals.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
harleyjoeky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sold on Enerburn

Well, I started using Enerburn about 1000 miles ago. I must say that it has shown constant improvement since then. The time it use to take me to complete a regents was about 10 to 15 miles driving. Since I started using it, it completes in less than 5.5 miles. I don't know how it does that since my EGT is no higher than it was before during regens. I've gone from about regens every 250 miles to a whopping 400 miles on the last regen. I'm sold. There hasn't been any improvement on MPG, but it has to save just on the fuel used for the regens. I'm enclosing 3 different readings from my Dashcommand app that shows the improvements.

Attached Images    
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Are you using the dash info, or hand calculating your mileage? I don't see how cutting regens by 2/3 doesn't result in fuel savings in terms of mpg's.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
F350-6.... I do all my calculations by hand as I enter all numbers in my fuelly app. My dash info is alway about 1 full mile per gallon more than actual. It's very hard to find an improvement in my fuel mpg, as I've consistently gotten excellent mpg with my truck. So perhaps in the long run, I'll see some improvement, just very hard to see it. I'm still at awe as the short time it take to regen though.

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm pretty sure it does, but the fuel used in regens is easy to overestimate. If I'm running 60 mph at 20 mpg, thats a burn rate of 3 gal/hour. A regen lasts about 20 minutes, or 1 gallon worth. My fuel milage is about 13 during the regen or an extra 1/2 gallon. an extra 1/2 gallon every 250 miles cuts my average from 20 to 19.2. It's pretty hard to be that consistent in mileage with or without a regen. Your going to regen every 500 miles anyway which cuts that savings in half, so you might expect 19.6 instead of 20.

My overall average seems to be a little better with enerburn, but less than 1 mpg which pretty much squares with that.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
Agree swarf-rat.. Although I've not achieved the 500 mile mark on my regen yet, I've only been using enerburn for about 1500 miles. continuously gets better. Before I used it, my regens would take about 15 to 20 miles or about 15 to 20 minute depending on the speed. For the past 2 regens it's taken 5 miles and about 5 minutes love it. One more thing that I noticed, is that passive regens happens much more during highway speeds. I've taveled 70 miles or so without the soot level increasing at all. According to enerburn support, it has something to do with a better flow rate. I'm taking a trip next week towing my 14000 lbs 5th wheel camper. Anxious to see what the performance and regen does then.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by harleyjoeky View Post
F350-6.... I do all my calculations by hand as I enter all numbers in my fuelly app. My dash info is alway about 1 full mile per gallon more than actual. It's very hard to find an improvement in my fuel mpg, as I've consistently gotten excellent mpg with my truck.

I wish I got mileage as good as you. My old 7.3 did, this one, not even close. 17 would be absolute best for me. Typically it's much lower.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I've not noticed a reduction in time taken for the regen, I've datalogged most of them, all about 18 - 20 minutes before and after Enerburn. The miles between them has increased though. Also so far I've done more miles between (up to 500) loaded with the camper, compared to unloaded.

The fuel mileage on my 6.7L has been identical to my 7.3, loaded or unloaded.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
I've been very surprised the the MPG on my 2012 F250. I don't drive it hard, and the mileage is as a daily in town driver. I've towed my 14000lbs 5th wheel camper a couple times and got about 9 to 10 mpg, but that was before using enerburn. Will be towing next week for about 800 miles, so will see how it performs. But I really can't complain with 18 to 20 mpg both highway and city average for far.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've been very surprised the the MPG on my 2012 F250. I don't drive it hard, and the mileage is as a daily in town driver. I've towed my 14000lbs 5th wheel camper a couple times and got about 9 to 10 mpg, but that was before using enerburn. Will be towing next week for about 800 miles, so will see how it performs. But I really can't complain with 18 to 20 mpg both highway and city average for far.

What gear ratio you running with that mileage like that?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
3.55. and all the numbers I post on Fuelly are actual, and not the dash numbers. I compute my mileage with my calculator lol. I was surprised also after buying it, as I found that my mileage was quite a bit higher than others. But of course I'm no longer a kid, and drive it very much like an old man haha. IOW, I keep to the speed limit, and I don't overuse my brakes. But when I want to GO, I will not hesitate to giver her the gas. That engine feels so damm good when I want it to.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
3.55. and all the numbers I post on Fuelly are actual, and not the dash numbers. I compute my mileage with my calculator lol. I was surprised also after buying it, as I found that my mileage was quite a bit higher than others. But of course I'm no longer a kid, and drive it very much like an old man haha. IOW, I keep to the speed limit, and I don't overuse my brakes. But when I want to GO, I will not hesitate to giver her the gas. That engine feels so damm good when I want it to.

That's what I do... calculate also so now worries. I also have the 3.55s. So you slowly started seeing a increase in your MPGs without driving style change with the Enerburn?

Fuel is now $3.00 around here so I started slowing down to try to get the numbers up. And yes, the engine is a beast, but I have to watch how the traction is or else the tires just spin when I mash the peddle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: