Any Experience with Enerburn? - Page 11 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:56 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I saw this on the Enerburn web site. So don't expect the full results on the first tank.
EnerBurn typically takes 4 fully treated tanks before you start to see results as the product needs time to build up its molecular coating in your engine.
Does anyone know of a brick-and-mortar chain that carries Enerburn?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I saw this on the Enerburn web site. So don't expect the full results on the first tank.

Does anyone know of a brick-and-mortar chain that carries Enerburn?
If you go to Buy Enerburn you can order online or see a list of shops that carry it. Unless you live near one, you are better off to order.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Thanks for the link. No stores in CO.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Khena
Junior User
Khena is starting off with a positive reputation.
Towed the TT the first time with Enerburn today. About my 10th tank or so of Enerburn

Soot started out at 1.54 dash said exhaust 35%. As soon as I got on the interstate egtís ranged between 700-800 and soot started falling like a rock...thatís the good news. It fell to .80 in short order. Then held steady between .80-.90 the rest of the trip. The bad news the dash filter % kept climbing it climbed from 35% to 80% within 150 miles. I had driven roughly 85 miles since the last regen for a total of 235 miles.

Maybe itís the fuel quality? Iím running optilube summer+ with the Enerburn. With winter fuel I was able to get 500 miles between regens.

Or is there another parameter the computer uses? If so is there a way to monitor it?

On a side note, we were towing across Southern Idaho with rolling hills and slowly gaining elevation. There was about a 20 mph crosswind. MPG was 8.9 towing 69 mph. Oil temp was fairly steady at 228, climbing to 235 on the uphill part of the hills. Coolant ranged between 210 and 217. So Iím seeing a 15 delta T steady and about a 20 delta T when going up the hills. Trailer is fairly tall bumper pull with metal siding weighing in around 9,500 lbs.

Do these mpgís And temps seem about right???

Kris

Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
harleyjoeky is starting off with a positive reputation.
To Khena.
You're talking greek to me here lol. First of all I'm not sure what or how your monitoring your levels. I use Forscan lite with iPhone as my truck is a 2012 without all the dash information. 2. I really not sure what you mean by exhaust percentage, and what it is. 3. Have no idea what "data T". I'm going to forward your post to Jane who developed and owns Enerburn, and see what she says.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by Khena View Post
Towed the TT the first time with Enerburn today. About my 10th tank or so of Enerburn

Soot started out at 1.54 dash said exhaust 35%. As soon as I got on the interstate egtís ranged between 700-800 and soot started falling like a rock...thatís the good news. It fell to .80 in short order. Then held steady between .80-.90 the rest of the trip. The bad news the dash filter % kept climbing it climbed from 35% to 80% within 150 miles. I had driven roughly 85 miles since the last regen for a total of 235 miles.

Maybe itís the fuel quality? Iím running optilube summer+ with the Enerburn. With winter fuel I was able to get 500 miles between regens.

Or is there another parameter the computer uses? If so is there a way to monitor it?

On a side note, we were towing across Southern Idaho with rolling hills and slowly gaining elevation. There was about a 20 mph crosswind. MPG was 8.9 towing 69 mph. Oil temp was fairly steady at 228, climbing to 235 on the uphill part of the hills. Coolant ranged between 210 and 217. So Iím seeing a 15 delta T steady and about a 20 delta T when going up the hills. Trailer is fairly tall bumper pull with metal siding weighing in around 9,500 lbs.

Do these mpgís And temps seem about right???

Kris
A TT is not as aerodynamic as a fifth wheel. I get about 11 mpg towing at about 62 MPH. %DPF always continues to climb whether there is soot or not. With Enerburn, it becomes more of a countdown to 500 miles. Your temps are within the norm for towing. Using my Edge CTS, I experience similar conditions to you with Soot GPL and DPF Load.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:28 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
Ok. can someone explain to me the difference between %DPF and the soot level. How do they interact? I've done a lot of reading on this subject, but can't seem to understand this.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
I can't. Ford only gives us %DPF Full to monitor on the dash. The PIDs Soot GPL (grams per liter) and DPF Load seem to be unrelated, but may be monitored by the ECM. There have been times where %DPF was close to full, but the PIDs showed almost no soot. Go figure.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
I know I shouldn't worry about all this.. I guess it's my OCD. I just like to know what the truck is doing. Guess its all my years as a helicopter Tech and believing in preventative maintenance. I hate that Ford doesn't explain things better, and your average Ford Tech at your dealers aren't fully trained. Seems like the "stealers" hire their Deisel mechanics as an afterthought.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Khena
Junior User
Thanks for the replies!

Delta T is the temperature difference between two temperatures, in this case engine coolant and engine oil temperature. I felt 15-20 seemed high, but I was working the truck fairly hard. Unloaded Iím usually between 5-10.

Ski, understand what youíre saying, but Iíll be lucky to get 350 between regens towing on summer fuel, but in winter fuel I can get to 500 even without the passive regens while towing. Iím trying to figure it out to see if I can get back to 500 on summer fuel.

Enerburn no doubt helps immensely with spot reduction above 700 egts. Impressive really.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:42 PM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
Khana. Got this from Jane.

Hi Joe,

It is always nice to hear from you…
Re: this post from Khena, I will give it my best shot.

“egt” = Exhaust Gas Temperature
“delta T” = engineering speak for difference (delta) in 2 temperature (T) measurements.
Why the anomalous reading on the dash filter %??? Have no idea. An educated guess is that a pressure sensor in the exhaust has gone bad, based on the history of prior performance wrt 500 mile regen interval. Another suspect would be that his DPF is overdue for a blow-out clean to remove ash.
I doubt very much that it has anything to do with switch from winter to summer diesel.
He should make sure not to exceed the “maintenance dose” of 1 ounce per 25 - 30 gallons.
As for the possible sensor issue, I would get the truck in to a shop to have the diagnostic codes read…assuming that the dash filter is an OEM feature as opposed to an after-market device such as the Edge monitor system.

I hope this makes sense. If not, just let me know. Most importantly, have yourself a great holiday weekend.
-Jane

Old 05-26-2018, 08:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by harleyjoeky View Post
Ok. can someone explain to me the difference between %DPF and the soot level.
They're not related. DPF% is what the computer says the soot level might be in a CYA method so Ford doens't get in a lawsuit about cheating emissions. That's why DPF% will continue to climb and you'll get a regen, even if it's not needed.

Soot level is what's really going on, but doesn't have any effect on regens other than possibly extending them out to the max allowed by the computer until a forced regen happens anyway.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 PM
Khena
Junior User
Thanks for the post from Jane.

Iím sure I donít have a sensor issue as the summer fuel here always seems to burn dirtier than winter fuel. Even before Enerburn last winter it did the same.

would be nice to know how the Ford Voodoo worked so I could get 500 miles between regens in the summer.

Anyone else have data on what there EOT/ECT delta Tís look on the 6.7? Seems my 16 runs a little hotter than my 11 did.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 AM
harleyjoeky
Junior User
Khena
Jane might be able to answer your questions. She is incredibly intelligent and knows her stuff about diesels. Her customer service is above and beyond. She answers ALL her emails, and follows up with her customers. You can email her from her web site, web page or personal email. I don't think its appropriate to post her email address publicly here as I'm sure she wouldn't mind, so if you'd like it just private message me and I'll give it to you, or go to her web page.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
As far as I know, the only measurement done in the whole exhaust system is differential pressure, or back pressure from the DPF. Some versions are supposed to have a comb sensor but I've not seen any PID reporting it's measurement. Any other information the ECU or Forescan has about soot levels is "inferred" meaning guessed at based on miles, EGTs, loads, etc. Forescan only reports what the ECU guessed, so it isn't adding any information just reporting it. The ECU algorithms that make these guesses were not designed or calibrated for an engine using Enerburn. They seem to track in a vague sort of way without it, but with it often the numbers reported seem like a random walk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: