6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

To trade in or to repair?

Old 09-03-2017, 11:11 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
M-chan68. Wonder if he used a cetane booster if that would clean things up?
It helps, but it doesn't prevent soot from building up. I think the biggest factor is usage. Short stops, stop and go driving, excessive idling etc. is the biggest contributor to soot build up. Being in California where there is an extremely high vehicle population, not to mention the eternal and inevitable traffic congestion that Californians have to contend with on a day to day basis likely doesn't help.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:42 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
We use 50+ cetane fuel in farm equip and pickups listed. Never had a problem yet BUT we freeway drive a lot

Old 09-03-2017, 03:14 PM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
It helps, but it doesn't prevent soot from building up. I think the biggest factor is usage. Short stops, stop and go driving, excessive idling etc. is the biggest contributor to soot build up. Being in California where there is an extremely high vehicle population, not to mention the eternal and inevitable traffic congestion that Californians have to contend with on a day to day basis likely doesn't help.
Well, I average about 40K miles a year. This year will be a few less though. I'm looking about 35K this year. I spend most of my time on the freeway. However, I do spend a ton of time in traffic. Believe it or not, if I leave at the wrong time, I can spend 8 hours trying to go 250 miles. I have tried running the Hot Shot stuff before. Maybe I'll go back to running it. I have a running bet with myself to see how long this truck will last. I almost lost a week ago. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
On the road I use power service fuel,additive from tractor supply comany

Old 08-29-2023, 03:45 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow. First thing you need to do is breath and slow down. You've got some trusted posters helping you out. They'll steer you the right direction.

I haven't read the whole thread in detail, but I did not see where you verified the EGR was deleted. DO THAT FIRST because all your symptoms could be a ruptured EGR cooler--especially if that's soot in the degas bottle.

So, don't do anything else until you do the following.

1) Verify EGR is indeed deleted. Easy enough with a visual observation.
2) Verify good coolant flow. I don't know how to do this other than opening a hose up and getting a feel for the flow around 2000 rpm. Otherwise, pull the water pump and inspect the impellers and housing.
3) Never fill the degas bottle above the Min line. If I can touch the coolant with a finger, I've got too much coolant in my degas bottle.
4) Get some gauges and get some real data. $30 and you can have Torque pro read every gauge you have.

IF you do have an EGR cooler...I'd get rid of it and change your oil cooler. Your EGR rupture because the oil cooler is plugged. If you don't have an EGR cooler, then you likely have a blown HG.

Do the following

A) Get oil and coolant temps cold and follow them while you drive.
B) Put a pressure gauge on your degas bottle. Run it into the cab, or on the windshield where you can see it.
C) Go out for a drive. Pressure should stay below 16psi (+/-). If it gets into the 20s, you have a problem.
D) Release the pressure from your degas bottle while hot.
E) Continue driving. The pressure should not climb more than a couple degrees after you relieve the pressure. If it does, you have a problem.
F) This part is more interpretive and most will debate about this. If the pressure climbs fast, it's head gaskets. If the pressure climbs slower, its a ruptured EGR cooler.

I don't know if a plugged Oil cooler would cause you to puke coolant, but I could believe it. Getting some real data will tell if your oil cooler is plugged.

Most on this forum feel over half the time head gasket jobs are unnecessary and it was only an EGR cooler issue. If I ever have to put head gaskets on mine, the heads will be O-Ringed. I would stud and might also go with the Fel-Pro head gaskets. I recall them being used by a few users and it seems to have worked out well.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:03 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I I reluctantly call B*U*L*L*S*H*I*T on cracked head/head gasket or cracked block.

im surprised to hear you say that

what about the known problem with pax side valve cover cracks..which has coolant passages?

Old 08-29-2023, 05:34 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 882 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Wow. First thing you need to do is breath and slow down. You've got some trusted posters helping you out. They'll steer you the right direction.

I haven't read the whole thread in detail, but I did not see where you verified the EGR was deleted. DO THAT FIRST because all your symptoms could be a ruptured EGR cooler--especially if that's soot in the degas bottle.

2) Verify good coolant flow. I don't know how to do this other than opening a hose up and getting a feel for the flow around 2000 rpm. Otherwise, pull the water pump and inspect the impellers and housing.
3) Never fill the degas bottle above the Min line. If I can touch the coolant with a finger, I've got too much coolant in my degas bottle.
4) Get some gauges and get some real data. $30 and you can have Torque pro read every gauge you have.

IF you do have an EGR cooler...I'd get rid of it and change your oil cooler. Your EGR rupture because the oil cooler is plugged. If you don't have an EGR cooler, then you likely have a blown HG.

Do the following

B) Put a pressure gauge on your degas bottle. Run it into the cab, or on the windshield where you can see it.
C) Go out for a drive. Pressure should stay below 16psi (+/-). If it gets into the 20s, you have a problem.
E) Continue driving. The pressure should not climb more than a couple degrees after you relieve the pressure. If it does, you have a problem.
F) This part is more interpretive and most will debate about this. If the pressure climbs fast, it's head gaskets. If the pressure climbs slower, its a ruptured EGR cooler.

I don't know if a plugged Oil cooler would cause you to puke coolant, but I could believe it. Getting some real data will tell if your oil cooler is plugged.

Most on this forum feel over half the time head gasket jobs are unnecessary and it was only an EGR cooler issue. If I ever have to put head gaskets on mine, the heads will be O-Ringed. I would stud and might also go with the Fel-Pro head gaskets. I recall them being used by a few users and it seems to have worked out well.
this is a 6 year old thread you resurrected.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:54 AM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein

Do the following

You do realize you are responding to a thread 6 years later?

Old 08-30-2023, 09:10 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
this is a 6 year old thread you resurrected.
Yep. I just noticed I responded to the wrong thread..... Somehow. I'll see if I can copy paste to the correct thread.

Apologies