Paint bumper/hood installed? Or removed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Paint bumper/hood installed? Or removed?

Basic question first.
Is it cheaper to have a shop paint the hood/bumper on or off the vehicle?

This is my daughter's Dodge Neon. 2 years ago someone dented the hood, and now she recently ran into a tree stump and cracked off the passenger side and it is just hanging off.
Today, I went to Pick Your Part and found what I thought was the correct color hood and bumper. I got it home and it is slightly lighter than the car. So, I am wanting to know since it is off currently, should I take it to the painters like that? Or should I remove the lights, trim, install it on the car and drive it over.
I am going to find a very very cheap shop to get the cheapest price so quality is not high on the list.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd paint it off the car since it already is and one would save time in not having to tape off. Just don't get clumsy when moving it and installing it. You can mar it before painting but not so much after.

My wife damaged the front of her car which I had to deal with. The full crease in the hood and hole in the bumper meant junk yard. Found a perfect hood and bumper in the wrong color as expected. They are in the backyard being sanded now for painting next weekend before installing on the car.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Thank you, Mike.

I can't do this where I live because I have neighbors that claim to be able to walk on water, so I will need a shop. Plus, by the time I accumulate the needed materials, I would probably be in it about the same.

I have been googling last night and this am, and it looks like this could easily cost $500ish. That may not be worth it for a Dodge Neon POS.

I am going to swap out the hoods this morning because it is easy, and see which I could live with more and mull all this over a bit more.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
The shop needs to at least have the car so they can ensure the paint matches...... hoods fade differently (typically) than the sides....they will likely pull both off of it to paint it

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Thats kind of what I figured a bit also.

I was googling some DYI stuff yesterday, and it seemed plausible, so I started sanding the bumper, figuring that I could rattle can it. Did some more googling afterwards and got the impression that I will end up spending a lot in materials anyway and not achieve a decent paint job.

There really isnt a cost effective way to do this that makes sense, lol.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Thats kind of what I figured a bit also.

I was googling some DYI stuff yesterday, and it seemed plausible, so I started sanding the bumper, figuring that I could rattle can it. Did some more googling afterwards and got the impression that I will end up spending a lot in materials anyway and not achieve a decent paint job.

There really isnt a cost effective way to do this that makes sense, lol.
Here' what I can recommend....... get a touch up gun.....quiet & a small compressor will run it, you will have to triple the amount of coats you apply to get the same coverage, but it will work and look very nice.

Just make sure to cover up (including gloves) & wear a respirator and seal off all outlets including light switches as they are ignition sources.

otherwise, you are right, off to a body shop

Old 08-26-2017, 11:27 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
I a little late but can you even get the paint/thinner in CA with out a lic. to do body work?
If so is it the new water based paint?

I would put the parts on and most likely call it done but........

Have you looked in to a trade school or collage that teach body work and painting?
I hear they only charge for the supplies used and not labor but could be wrong but does not hurt to go ask.

May also hit a body shop or 2 to see what they get to paint the parts.
Dave ----

Old 08-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Beechkid
Yes............................................... ..... you can get paint thinner (kerosene/Mineral spirits).