1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

02 f250 7.3- Injector Solenoid?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
My understanding is the bare wire wrapped around the bundle is for RF suppression. The hot juice from the IDM can cause the wires to emit pulses, you might hear it on the radio if it was not there.

Edit; obviously Jim had more "hussle".

Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't re-read all posts on both threads so .. if you did replace the external pigtail on that bank it's also possible injector 5 wiring has an internal short to the glow plug, just getting worse. Yes, with new parts I've heard of this happening although it's more common to be under valve cover issue. If you have another external pigtail I would just throw it in there with quick wrapped wire connections to verify.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Skyrag
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
The wire that wraps around the injector wires is a RF shield that suppresses the high voltage spikes applied to the injectors. On the injector side it connects to nothing and on the 42 pin side don't really know. In any case it won't create the issue on #5 injector as you described.

This problem should be simple, divide and conquer.

1. You already know from the IDM to injector #5 there is low resistance correct?

2. Unplug the 42 way connector and measure towards injector 5, is it still low? If not then the problem is between the other end of the 42 way connector and the IDM wiring. If it is still low then the problem is somewhere after the 42 way connector towards the valve cover.

It almost sounds like the valve cover gasket is shorted internally to a glow plug terminal, ya can't see it but is is know to occur from time to time with new parts.
Resistance @ #5 from 42 pin to injectors is 1.2-1.5, all others are 3.0-3.1.

Resistance @ UVCH by itself for every injector is .1, is this to low?

On my spare UVCH the resistance is the same, .1

Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Skyrag
Junior User
Stumped?

I haven't re-read all posts on both threads so .. if you did replace the external pigtail on that bank it's also possible injector 5 wiring has an internal short to the glow plug, just getting worse. Yes, with new parts I've heard of this happening although it's more common to be under valve cover issue. If you have another external pigtail I would just throw it in there with quick wrapped wire connections to verify.
The pass side pigtail is new, but the thought of replacing it, just to make sure, has crossed my mind several times during this adventure.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

The numbers look good except for #5. OHM out the glow plugs on that bank and bet you crossed some wires if you did the outer pigtail? Use battery ground when doing this.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
1. You already know from the IDM to injector #5 there is low resistance correct?

2. Unplug the 42 way connector and measure towards injector 5, is it still low? If not then the problem is between the other end of the 42 way connector and the IDM wiring. If it is still low then the problem is somewhere after the 42 way connector towards the valve cover.
Yes, he has already been through all of this and the problem seems to be isolated to the main engine harness between the 42 pin connector and the pigtail at the valve cover. You might be onto something with a crossed wire at the new pigtail and I'll bet that he has still not ohmed the main harness for that #5 injector from 42 pin connector to the pigtail.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

He said he did, can only go that information.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
He said he did, can only go that information.
If he did I missed it and I apologize.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JT250
Why did you start a new thread? It would be better to continue in the old thread.
Yes indeed. Splitting your thread does no good.

Threads merged.

Stewart

Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Skyrag
Junior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Yes, he has already been through all of this and the problem seems to be isolated to the main engine harness between the 42 pin connector and the pigtail at the valve cover. You might be onto something with a crossed wire at the new pigtail and I'll bet that he has still not ohmed the main harness for that #5 injector from 42 pin connector to the pigtail.
Installing a new pigtail and UVCH fixed the P1316, thank you for your help.

I performed a CCT this morning, it failed on #5 and #8 with codes P1265 and P1278. Buzz test passed on all injectors. Lots of white smoke and running very rough. I've put close to 15 miles since #5 injector swap. I understand that it takes close to 50 miles to work all of the air out if the oil rails, but I'm not seeing any signs of improvement like I would have with previous injector swaps.

Am I looking at a wiring issue, injector issue or an IDM issue with the codes P1265, P1278?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Skyrag
Junior User
Thanks for your help, I replaced both the pigtail and UVCH, it fixed code P1316.

Now i'm getting P1265 and P1278.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
I am not familiar with the codes but that #8 is a typical flag due to it's location at the end of the fuel rail and is not necessarily a problem. There is another one that throws as well but I'm thinking it's #3. Someone who knows that better should be able to help you with it.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Skyrag
Junior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I am not familiar with the codes but that #8 is a typical flag due to it's location at the end of the fuel rail and is not necessarily a problem. There is another one that throws as well but I'm thinking it's #3. Someone who knows that better should be able to help you with it.
Another one just popped up, P0275.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I am so confused.

As I read this, I see you ohmed the UVCH alone. Based on your readings, it looks like you ohmed each wire alone from one end to the other. I'm thinking remove the solenoid from the equation by unplugging #5 coil inside the valve cover. Or... since the valve covers are back on, unplug the connector from the passenger side valve cover. Now... ohm out #5 injector at the 42-pin connector. You should see a dead open, but if you see ohms....

Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Skyrag
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I am so confused.

As I read this, I see you ohmed the UVCH alone. Based on your readings, it looks like you ohmed each wire alone from one end to the other. I'm thinking remove the solenoid from the equation by unplugging #5 coil inside the valve cover. Or... since the valve covers are back on, unplug the connector from the passenger side valve cover. Now... ohm out #5 injector at the 42-pin connector. You should see a dead open, but if you see ohms....
That makes two of us. If I see Ohms at #5 does that mean I have crossed GP wires at the pigtail or...?

BTW, it was either the pigtail or the UVCH that fixed the P1316, thank you for your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 f250 7.3- Injector Solenoid?